Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Well I'm sat on the plane with my seat belt buckled whilst my husband hasn't even bought his ticket yet. He's having none of it. So I'm preparing for this epic event with only the support of you crazy like minded people.

I'm off to the shops tomorrow before the locusts land for the usual bread, milk, cat food, batteries etc and I've tried talking anti-freeze for the car with dear hubby but I got laughed out of the room.

Sooooo, I'm ashamed to say I know next to nothing about cars. I have bought wind screen wash and de-icer but that's it and I don't think that's gonna help in 4ft of snow :rofl:.

I did buy some engine anti-freeze the other day, we have 2 cars, do we need it, do you put it in neat, do you have to drain the engine or can you just top it up? I'm sure him indoors will wake up and smell the snow soon and get his act in gear but before that I want to know if I should buy some more before the shelves are bare. I've absolutely no idea and the instructions are non existent.

Starting to get excited now :yahoo:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

19 members online :shok:.... records are falling already :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I need to know about anti freeze too.. but worried about going to start the car up and it not working already?!

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

I need to know about anti freeze too.. but worried about going to start the car up and it not working already?!

Girls.... Behold... I am buying antifreeze tomorrow along with sheep nuts.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

19 members online :shok:.... records are falling already :rofl:

Already broken again. 20 now. :hi:

Posted
1 hour ago, jessandjon said:

On a serious note (please don’t laugh ?) but due to living in the countryside would it be worth buying extra bread milk or anything?? Or should I just wait and see (working in the village shop does help getting first dibs ?) 

I'm getting bread, milk, salt and tinned stuff. If it all goes tits up I have 2 tinies to feed!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

All you countryside people reminding me of where I lived until 2016. :cray:

One positive of here I guess is having 3 supermarkets within walking distance. 

Posted
1 hour ago, kent said:

Unsure whether its been mentioned on here but lag that outside tap.  If you can isolate it before the outlet even better but make sure to drain the water out and unclip any hoses. If you cant disconnect the supply then lag the pipes and tap making sure you get behind any outside pipes running up outside walls.If you haven't got any fibreglass or pipe lagging then anything that is waterproof even rags covered with plastic bags.

May not look very slghtly lol but believe me a burst water pipe in a thaw can do a lot of damage so check your insurance policy just in case.

I need a thicko's how to guide on this please. My husband is still dissing me as a twazzock for 1/2 a sleet shower inbound ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Anyone started their bulk buying of bread & milk yet? :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Definitely bringing my work laptop home with me every night in the hope of getting snowed in.

As long as you have time to enjoy the snow that’s all that matters. 

• Like 1

Posted

The question I have is...

Can I cook soup on my log burner if the power goes? ?

Only just convinced my partner to order logs in but apart from that he's also in denial! Extra hay coming at the weekend for the horses, it's definitely going to be an experience working on Dartmoor next week ? so excited!! 

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, matt111 said:

As long as you have time to enjoy the snow that’s all that matters. 

For sure! my worry is, as someone who relies on public transport to commute, i know one snow grain on a gentle breeze is enough to send South Western Railway into utter chaos.

• Like 1

Posted

Regarding the anti freeze. If your car is a modern one 2010 onwards, then you don't need to add much as it's a sealed system and if serviced correctly it's not needed.

Windscreen additive is the most important thing! Nothing worse than having a salted up windscreen and no way to clean it.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

For sure! my worry is, as someone who relies on public transport to commute, i know one snow grain on a gentle breeze is enough to send South Western Railway into utter chaos.

Fortunately I don’t have to commute at the moment although I can’t drive so I know what it’s like to rely on public transport. Got stuck on a train just outside Waterloo for half an hour a couple of weeks ago for only a minor problem so god help everyone using the trains next week. :help:

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowponies said:

The question I have is...

Can I cook soup on my log burner if the power goes? ?

Only just convinced my partner to order logs in but apart from that he's also in denial! Extra hay coming at the weekend for the horses, it's definitely going to be an experience working on Dartmoor next week ? so excited!! 

If if gets that bad we are using our camp cooker. I'm sure gas BBQ outdoors will do the job :-)

Posted

Dorset to Sussex everyday for me....

RE: Cars, if it';s cold in the morning, let the car engine warm up a bit before driving off. That's good practice anyway, prevents you cracking a seal etc.

I think we should tone down the ramping a notch, the 12z are fast approaching..... :ninja:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I think we should tone down the ramping a notch, the 12z are fast approaching..... :ninja:

To save our energy for then? :pardon:

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I need a thicko's how to guide on this please. My husband is still dissing me as a twazzock for 1/2 a sleet shower inbound ...

Revenge better cold... ? who said that earlier? That's a gem.  Anyway, just sit with your arms folded as the windows start pulsating in the blizzard. Then tell hubby he has to go out and get the shopping in. Tell him there is neither beer nor sandwich, nor dinner lol.  Do all that with a very calm, 'I told you so' face. :girl_devil: Whilst you scoff the choc and snack stash when he's not looking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Jesé- with the cloud and wind turned to the East it’s cold now. 6c outside but you wait this is the start!

Posted

needless to say, my old mans having none of it after my last weather related discussion with him :whistling:

I can not wait for the "I told you so" conversation. I won't be smug at all promise :rofl:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
30 minutes ago, katemart said:

The record at Southamptonweather.co.uk is -12.4C on 02/02/2012.

Ours is -14.1 December 2017!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Dorset to Sussex everyday for me....

RE: Cars, if it';s cold in the morning, let the car engine warm up a bit before driving off. That's good practice anyway, prevents you cracking a seal etc.

"think we should tone down the ramping a notch" - heresy. Leave this forum immediately! I haven't seen this level of ramping in years and it's brilliant.

As ever with snow this will be down to short term forecasts and small features, and there must be a chance of a decent event. Points West had the memories of 1978 last night, and I have the barest memories of snow drifts so deep my village was cut off. Could it happen again? As for the stocking up - I made sure of getting heating oil in, but that does depend on electricity too... Many years ago we experienced a weekend long powercut (Shrewton, on the Plain), and it led my parents to have a fireplace and chimney installed as there had been no way of heating the house. No idea yet if this will be a let down in snow terms for us snow starved west country folk, but I'd love a day or too off next week! 

Edited by warmintim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

needless to say, my old mans having none of it after my last weather related discussion with him :whistling:

Been crying wolf...? :rofl:

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1