Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
24 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Didn’t think I’d come in here to 60 new posts. Thought only the MAD thread was that  busy. 

Written by me, not autocorrect

@karlos1983 I’ve just read my previous post back and couldn’t edit it. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and dry

The question is will we better this by the end of next week?

"By the 14th March, the strong winds had abated and a thaw of the snow began. Reports from the time spoke of up to 4 feet of snow in parts of the south-west and the deep ravine, Tavy Cleave by Dartmoor, had apparently filled with snow to depths of 300 feet as snow was driven in by the gales."

Now that's a lot of snowmen...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!
3 hours ago, EllyTech said:

The Express will be kicking itself for not ramping its headline enough. It has cried wolf so often, its readership won't bat an eye at the headline. It'll make up for it by doing a 6-page spread on the aftermath. :wallbash:

Indeed, and that is potentially a big problem, given the responses to Liam Dutton's recent posts on Facebook. The warmies will not be prepared and will be freaking out when there's no sliced white on the shelves...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, katemart said:

Indeed, and that is potentially a big problem, given the responses to Liam Dutton's recent posts on Facebook. The warmies will not be prepared and will be freaking out when there's no sliced white on the shelves...

I was laughing at some of the responses to the Met Office video last night about how they were going over the top. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, philglossop said:

Mum does my basic weekly shopping for me as I can’t be bothered as rule( just give the money).

Ive doubled my order. Long life milk x4 , 4 boxes of cat food and some tinned goods!

Just warned her to get extra in today ? 

Cat food is the biggie. I had an argument with the old dear and threatened that if she didn't stock up the cats would have stripped her bare before I could manage to get to her. That shut her up!

• Like 1

Posted

On a serious note (please don’t laugh ?) but due to living in the countryside would it be worth buying extra bread milk or anything?? Or should I just wait and see (working in the village shop does help getting first dibs ?) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
1 hour ago, Bazray said:

Can you see the  little paperclip icon below where you are typing on the left it says 'click to choose files' select that and it should take you into your phones pictures to select the one you want.

Thats how it works on mine anyway.

Thanks for that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...
3 minutes ago, jessandjon said:

On a serious note (please don’t laugh ?) but due to living in the countryside would it be worth buying extra bread milk or anything?? Or should I just wait and see (working in the village shop does help getting first dibs ?) 

Soya Milk Pitta bread by the packet Corned beef and tinned luncheon meat. Canned potatoes ..  Torch and batteries 

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, jessandjon said:

Think about the supply side - where do your deliveries come from? The stock has to get to the warehouse, the delivery driver has to get to work, his/her kids have to get to the childminder's cos the school is shut, stranded lorries can block the motorways very easily... and some sod might come in and clean you out!  I live in the suburbs and I've got bake-at-home bread in the freezer and i'm going to get UHT milk and extra catfood today. Also meds for 3-4 weeks is a must, because pharmacies also operate on a just-in-time system these days. We don't have the local availability that we used to have during the famous snow events of 63 so it's dangerous for people to think "well, we managed then". IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Dewpoint got down to -1c around 10-15mins ago. Creeping  back up again to 0c now.

Down down we go from here, hoping for some new cold records for my weather station over the next week or so. 

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
8 minutes ago, katemart said:

Think about the supply side - where do your deliveries come from? The stock has to get to the warehouse, the delivery driver has to get to work, his/her kids have to get to the childminder's cos the school is shut, stranded lorries can block the motorways very easily... and some sod might come in and clean you out!  I live in the suburbs and I've got bake-at-home bread in the freezer and i'm going to get UHT milk and extra catfood today. Also meds for 3-4 weeks is a must, because pharmacies also operate on a just-in-time system these days. We don't have the local availability that we used to have during the famous snow events of 63 so it's dangerous for people to think "well, we managed then". IMHO.

And the statement above is utterly spot on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Unsure whether its been mentioned on here but lag that outside tap.  If you can isolate it before the outlet even better but make sure to drain the water out and unclip any hoses. If you cant disconnect the supply then lag the pipes and tap making sure you get behind any outside pipes running up outside walls.If you haven't got any fibreglass or pipe lagging then anything that is waterproof even rags covered with plastic bags.

May not look very slghtly lol but believe me a burst water pipe in a thaw can do a lot of damage so check your insurance policy just in case.

• Thanks 4

Posted
51 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Down to -0.2°C. That's 22 frost days so far this Winter. Frost season started 105 days ago.

Temp: 4.2°C - Hum: 70% - Dew: -0.8°C - Bar: 1023.57hPa -  Wind: E ~ ENE @ 8mph.

Doing some calculations of the MetO's forecasts from Monday > between projected temp and humidity, it looks very likely that -10°C dew points will be achieved, perhaps lower than that?!

We're currently  -3 dp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
21 minutes ago, katemart said:

I'm doing the same as you tomorrow... Longlife milk, Cat Food, Bread, butter and tinnies.... I do have an online order coming Saturday too but order made before the possibility of severe weather came up.  

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, jessandjon said:

My thinking is; if you've thought it, you should do it. You can always make a bread and butter pud if you don't get through it all.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
5 minutes ago, kent said:

Unsure whether its been mentioned on here but lag that outside tap.  If you can isolate it before the outlet even better but make sure to drain the water out and unclip any hoses. If you cant disconnect the supply then lag the pipes and tap making sure you get behind any outside pipes running up outside walls.If you haven't got any fibreglass or pipe lagging then anything that is waterproof even rags covered with plastic bags.

May not look very slghtly lol but believe me a burst water pipe in a thaw can do a lot of damage so check your insurance policy just in case.

The way you lot are talking end of days Arctic weather is on its way.. :pardon:

We all seen a couple of frosty days before :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

If nothing goes belly up, then we are certainly looking at an event that will go down in history.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, kent said:

Has to get down to -10 for that to be an issue in my experience otherwise there's enough heat from the house to keep the pipes from freezing up. Does help that there's always someone in the house and we try to keep the water flowing as much as practical. Eg running the washing machine overnight, flushing the loo regularly etc. In 2010 , we left the heat on overnight and opened the loft hatch to let a little heat in. We survived without incident but several friends had problems including one who cracked a toilet pan trying to defrost her loo by pouring boiling water down it :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
12 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

EURO4 will start coming in to range soon not a million miles away now..

6am Saturday.

18022406_2206.gif

Check out the DP's already on Saturday :shok::cold:

Dew point EURO4 Sa 24.02.2018 06 GMT

-12c heading to Benelux......

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Check out the DP's already on Saturday :shok::cold:

Dew point EURO4 Sa 24.02.2018 06 GMT

-12c heading to Benelux......

The record at Southamptonweather.co.uk is -12.4C on 02/02/2012.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1