Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Worrying times indeed....earlier today forum hero Team Jo stepped in to try and quell riotous assembly in the Mad Thread,she was not impressed with the volume of...and I quote Willy Waving on the forum,this in itself was sound advice,but slightly worrying the fact many posters were women,perhaps thought for another day lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

First we lose the darts girls, then the grid girls, it only seems fair we lose the willy wavers, for continuity purposes  :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

Is there any runners on here? I'm currently in training for the Bristol 10K in May, and was wondering how people cope with running in the snow? That's if we get any, I'm fine running in freezing weather, but running with snow underfoot seems like it might be a recipe for a broke leg

Posted
4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Is there any runners on here? I'm currently in training for the Bristol 10K in May, and was wondering how people cope with running in the snow? That's if we get any, I'm fine running in freezing weather, but running with snow underfoot seems like it might be a recipe for a broke leg

Treadmill 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/yaktrax-yaktrax-pro-B9244016.html?channable=e15806.NDQxNTBfMTgw&colour=180&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvLW8m5y32QIVqrztCh0YGg6VEAQYBCABEgIOkvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds or similar 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SN0W SN0W SN0W said:

They work bought my wife a pair years ago when we were in Canada for when she feeds the horses in the ice and snow

Posted
14 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Yes I run ?‍♂️ but I don’t know what this snow you talk of is, so can’t help sorry :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

The battle of the weather apps hots up or cools down......anyway we have for saturday here a top temperature of 7 with a min of 1 according to the BBC/ECM 

With the met office suggesting a top temp of just 4 and a min of -2! 

This gap of 3c plays out over most of the days from Saturday to Tuesday. 

Yes they use differing models but at this distance out they should surly be better aligned?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.
24 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I am but i've never had an opportunity to run in the snow. I'd think if it was deeper than just a surface dusting you'd probably be ok, maybe better if you've got some off-road shoes for a bit of extra grip though. Treadmill might be the way to go for a week or two, tedious but better than in plaster :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted

Would anyone be kind enough to explain to me the role the isobar plays on a weather chart please.

Does it indicate the source of the airflow and the direction the air (wind) will travel

and also what is the difference between a tight and loose isobar and what effect does that have? 

An explanation for dummies wil suffice ?

Thank you ?

Edited by Bazray
  • Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Wow it's going to be that cold that GAS freezes...really?

I had better leave off the baked beans then and have a hot water bottle ready to sit on.

Posted
2 hours ago, khodds said:

Just said to my boss, should I get some rock salt in just in case?

He just laughed and said “haha it’s not going to snow is it!” And walked off....

Hes going to Brazil next Wednesday from Heathrow. :spiteful:

I would so like to be proved wrong about the rock salt... ??

Ahem, even that stopped working in 2010, the ground was so cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bazray said:

Would anyone be kind enough to explain to me the role the isobar plays on a weather chart please.

Does it indicate the source of the airflow and the direction the air (wind) will travel

and also what is the difference between a tight and loose isobar and what effect does that have? 

Thank you ?

High pressure systems tend to move clockwise so we will look at the isobars to see what direction the fetch is from; for example, from a cold pool. The closer the isobars the windier the conditions. So a slack High Pressure would have isobars quite widely space out. This would give calmer conditions at the surface.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

High pressure systems tend to move clockwise so we will look at the isobars to see what direction the fetch is from; for example, from a cold pool. The closer the isobars the windier the conditions. So a slack High Pressure would have isobars quite widely space out. This would give calmer conditions at the surface.

Thank you, very helpful. One last question. 

If there is an area of high pressure, and an area of low pressure, then the high pressure area will move into the low pressure area.

for example a high in siberia and a low in england, the air from siberia will travel to england 

is that somewhat correct?

Posted
4 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

High pressure systems tend to move clockwise so we will look at the isobars to see what direction the fetch is from; for example, from a cold pool. The closer the isobars on a LOW PRESSURE circulation  the windier the conditions. So a slack High Pressure would have isobars quite widely space out. This would give calmer conditions at the surface.

I am so having a senior... Got to look at low pressure for winds lol.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bazray said:

If there is an area of high pressure, and an area of low pressure, then the high pressure area will move into the low pressure area.

for example a high in siberia and a low in england, the air from siberia will travel to england 

In simple terms; (there are other factors to look at sometimes) High Pressure will try to fill a Low Pressure so, often it becomes a blocking high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

I've spent a day on the beach at Hayling Island and it was gorgeous earlier, t-shirt warm. Now the wind is coming from the east and there's a distinct nip in the air, brrr :cold:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Purplepixii said:

I've spent a day on the beach at Hayling Island and it was gorgeous earlier, t-shirt warm. Now the wind is coming from the east and there's a distinct nip in the air, brrr :cold:

Funnily enough I’ve just been outside and noticed there’s more of a nip in the air now. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bazray said:

Take this for example Baz

801531BA-3DC0-4704-95A6-C0E221816B9C.thumb.jpeg.60000cc49e460c2d91d9ab513cdec66e.jpeg

high pressure over Scandinavia with winds going clockwise dragging cold air aloft towards North West Europe.  low to the southwest of uk moving under the block (the high pressure) west to east with winds anti-clockwise around it. This keeping the flow east or south east. 

High pressure tends to sit in place, and sometimes build and grow like a balloon being pumped up, where as low pressure tends to move more west to east around high pressure, steered by the Jet stream. 

Hope that helps. 

That drwaing above next week, would be boom town for snow in our area :D or more likely the Channel Islands lol

Edited by karlos1983
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
59 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Genuinely one of my favourite ever experiences was running in Dec 2010 just before Christmas. I ran in the woods near Longleat and it was amazing. About 3-4 inches of soft, virgin, snow, no-one around. I ran with shorts, T-shirt, but had a hat and gloves too. I find in snow its best to avoid compressed areas where it is more prone to have gone solid and turned icy, so heading off-road is probably the best bet.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Take this for example Baz

801531BA-3DC0-4704-95A6-C0E221816B9C.thumb.jpeg.60000cc49e460c2d91d9ab513cdec66e.jpeg

high pressure over Scandinavia with winds going clockwise dragging cold air aloft towards North West Europe’s low to the southwest of uk moving under the block west to east with winds anti-clockwise around it. This keeping the flow east or south east. 

High pressure tends to sit in place, and sometimes build and grow like a balloon being pumped up, where as low pressure tends to move more west to east around high pressure, steered by the Jet stream. 

Hope that helps. 

5a8d8f7a403b8_jetmodel.thumb.jpeg.fa8c2496e56f81214bcda556758ebdad.jpegAnd here is the current GFS modelled Jet. Quite weak atm, some were saying... 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, warmintim said:

Genuinely one of my favourite ever experiences was running in Dec 2010 just before Christmas. I ran in the woods near Longleat and it was amazing. About 3-4 inches of soft, virgin, snow, no-one around. I ran with shorts, T-shirt, but had a hat and gloves too. I find in snow its best to avoid compressed areas where it is more prone to have gone solid and turned icy, so heading off-road is probably the best bet.

That was stunning. Never seen snow like it. Proper alpine snow. Very soft and coated everything beautifully. I hope we get some of that again. Photos don't do it justice.

dec snow 2 007.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
52 minutes ago, festivalking said:

The battle of the weather apps hots up or cools down......anyway we have for saturday here a top temperature of 7 with a min of 1 according to the BBC/ECM 

With the met office suggesting a top temp of just 4 and a min of -2! 

This gap of 3c plays out over most of the days from Saturday to Tuesday. 

Yes they use differing models but at this distance out they should surly be better aligned?

Weather HD pro app actually raises the temp from Monday up to 4 on tuesday wednesday wonder whats the point of Apps when they are so far out 

Even what used to be the reliable snow sleet or rain app cant get the differences right any more as last time it showed raining when it was snowing right on nowcast.

• Like 1