Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

LIKE LIMIT REMOVED!  :yahoo:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Please can someone tell me what real clothes are? :( I feel so dumb lol!

Rules I use as a geologists. No cotton, go for wool or wool mix. Avoid jeans. Leggings and craghopper fleece lined trousers are good. Smart wool full tog socks are excellent. Use lots of light layers to trap warmth. Good walking boots i go for leather and keep them waxed. Waterproof and windproof jacket and waterproof trousers are a must.

Getting a little bit excited now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
10 minutes ago, matt111 said:

LIKE LIMIT REMOVED!  :yahoo:

YOU THE MAN!!! Hi 5’s!!!

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, bellanite said:

Rules I use as a geologists. No cotton, go for wool or wool mix. Avoid jeans. Leggings and craghopper fleece lined trousers are good. Smart wool full tog socks are excellent. Use lots of light layers to trap warmth. Good walking boots i go for leather and keep them waxed. Waterproof and windproof jacket and waterproof trousers are a must.

Getting a little bit excited now!

I have a long list now lol :-D I'm going to be poor in no time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

10.4°C at the moment so still reached double figures today. Might be a bit different this time next week. :spiteful:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Jeez 54 posts in an hour mostly on clothes this thread is insane!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I hate it when we get a new mod thread just before a cold spell.... ??‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

I hate it when we get a new mod thread just before a cold spell.... ??‍♂️

Whys that?

Posted

much talk on other threads of the latest BBC forecast which apparently says cold but "dry" next week (compared to raging westerlies it will be dry :)). anyway, that got me thinking about the 1991 February easterly (which has also featured heavily in discussion lately).

I'm sure somebody will correct me or tell me I'm remembering wrong, but I think I remember that spell very clearly. I was living on the IOW and it was certainly cold - the Canoe lake on Ryde seafront froze solid - but snow? not really. A few flurries early on and some "snizzle stuff" as the Atlantic moved in (which melted in the afternoon). I think most of north and east Hants did much better - but how about Dorset/Bournemouth in that spell? similar to my memories on the Island?

Or am I talking guff?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

So the lunchtime BBC forecast said Next week cold but dry!!?? :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
Just now, Fred Sykes said:

So the lunchtime BBC forecast said Next week cold but dry!!?? :cc_confused:

At the moment I would say that is a fair assessment away from east coasts?

Posted
3 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Whys that?

Because I’m a superstitious type!! If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!! Models all good, why tempt fate!!!

absolutely nothing scientific :crazy:

Posted

Getting nervous now for the 12z runs. It’s been too good to be true, if it implodes now we will all be needing Valium 

Only an hour to wait. :ninja:

Edited by khodds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Not long now until the 12z. I’m so nervous it’s making my stomach somersault! How sad is that!!! ?‍♂️ 

Lol @khodds spooky!! 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

Not long now until the 12z. I’m so nervous it’s making my stomach somersault! How sad is that!!! ?‍♂️ 

Lol @khodds spooky!! 

Great minds ?

Posted

I’m very nervous... I now know why I lost so much weight this week at fat fighters... it’s nervous exhaustion ?

Posted
18 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I have a long list now lol :-D I'm going to be poor in no time!

But you will be warm :D and hopefully you'll be able to use them for years to come.:D

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Certain kind of fool said:

much talk on other threads of the latest BBC forecast which apparently says cold but "dry" next week (compared to raging westerlies it will be dry :)). anyway, that got me thinking about the 1991 February easterly (which has also featured heavily in discussion lately).

I'm sure somebody will correct me or tell me I'm remembering wrong, but I think I remember that spell very clearly. I was living on the IOW and it was certainly cold - the Canoe lake on Ryde seafront froze solid - but snow? not really. A few flurries early on and some "snizzle stuff" as the Atlantic moved in (which melted in the afternoon). I think most of north and east Hants did much better - but how about Dorset/Bournemouth in that spell? similar to my memories on the Island?

Or am I talking guff?

I was 14 and our family lived nr Fawley on the South coast.

I can remember we definately had snow, because we strapped my sledge (the one in my Av) to the roof of my Dad's bright green 2CV on a snowday and he drove four of us out to Gatebridge, between Holbury and Blackfield on the edge of the New Forest.

We definately had snow, 'cos we were doubling up skeleton style and bombing down the hill towards the river. When we went back at the weekend and the snow had all but gone, we were still able to sledge down the refrozen melt water.

• Like 2

Posted

Okay people. I have broken. I’ve told the cat and the dog it’s coming as they are the only ones who will listen. :oops:

Posted
1 minute ago, jtay said:

I was 14 and our family lived nr Fawley on the South coast.

I can remember we definately had snow, because we strapped my sledge (the one in my Av) to the roof of my Dad's bright green 2CV on a snowday and he drove four of us out to Gatebridge, between Holbury and Blackfield on the edge of the New Forest.

We definately had snow, 'cos we were doubling up skeleton style and bombing down the hill towards the river. When we went back at the weekend and the snow had all but gone, we were still able to sledge down the refrozen melt water.

If Fawley had snow, surely I must be mis-remembering (?) that spell...although I'm sure I'm not! Maybe the IOW was really unlucky with shower tracks or something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
18 minutes ago, Certain kind of fool said:

Or am I talking guff?

Looking through my grandfather's diaries (he kept weather notes from 1985 onwards), it snowed here in Bristol on January 31st 1991 and snow remained, albeit slightly patchy on the ground after a few days for a week until it snowed again on February 07th/08th. Amounts were of course not overly impressive in Bristol, but the cold certainly was with a maximum of -4C on the 09th. 

I'm hoping for some unexpected troughs/disturbances to turn up in the flow. With such low uppers, I'd hope so.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain
15 minutes ago, Nights King said:

At the moment I would say that is a fair assessment away from east coasts?

I think that's a terrible assessment. How on earth can they say that given the model output!? She should have said, next week is looking bitterly cold with the a strong possibility of snow. The word "dry" will just make her look daft!

Posted

The televised weather reports so dull and boring, We have one of the most exciting weather events coming up in at least 8years, one that has the potential to be a record breaker and all they can say is it might get cold and icy.  Am not asking them too exaggerate or anything but at least expand and explain what is going on and explain the potential this Easterly has.k instead they prefer chatting about bloody KFC running out of chicken :s

maybe the forecasters are instructed to downplay it a bit until things firm up for the risk of not causing unwanted panic?!

Edited by Bazray
  • Like 3

Posted

Cold but dry doesnt surprise me in the least for here. I try to 'cut thru the noise' in the 'rampant' thread to paint a more realistic picture for here. I said it earlier a re-run of March 2013 i fear.

Our best chance re snow will come later next week around w/e 2nd/3rd/4th imho.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bazray said:

The televised weather reports so dull and boring, We have one of the most exciting weather events coming up in at least 8years, one that has the potential to be a record breaker and all they can say is it might get cold and icy.  Am not asking them too exaggerate or anything but at least expand and explain what is going on and explain the potential this Easterly has.

its got to be a lot more interesting than bloody KFC running out of chicken. Rant over.

I know what you mean, it is frustrating but I think they are taking a step back for two reasons

a) They don’t want to cause panic - this will mean people start to panic buy and add more stress to services unnecessarily ie the NHS before it even has to start

b) it’s too early yet. I think we will start to see warnings by Friday. Should the model output continue as it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1