Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
11 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

To me this is quite terrifying! I only wanted 6 inches! :-(

The thing I would point out with 2010 comparisons is that the coldest temps were got were during very calm winds. This lot has the potential to not only be baltic but there's a component of wind in this too, making cold potential much harsher for those venturing out in it; whether that be on foot or in a vehicle, you need a proper set of clobber in your wardrobe for the 'just in case' scenarios. 

Anyone with farm animals should make a few plans too.

• Like 2

Posted

For me with the good possibility of snow this time is not having to worry about those nagging doubts of  South of the M4, away from the coast and marginal.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, kent said:

For me with the good possibility of snow this time is not having to worry about those nagging doubts of  South of the M4, away from the coast and marginal.

I’m marginal!!

marginally close to tears of joy :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, khodds said:

Is this just me or does everyone feel  like scenes from “The Snowman” when the little boy wakes up, blinks, realised the room is a lot brighter than it should be... runs to the window and sees THE SUN...”

Truly magical! 

After so many wet Saturdays it was every little boys dream, not having to play footie in the pouring rain...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, khodds said:

No - I mean I’ve still used all my “likes” I’m fully onboard AND taken off. :rofl:

until the next model run... think I’ll just circle a bit. :ninja:

Blimey, we will all be there to catch you when if it comes crashing down.

I'm still waiting until Thursday before taking off :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
39 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

That seems to be the message within the MetO extended text forecasts as well.

interesting times!

I’ve broken silence to one person, but she has cancer at a very advanced stage, so it’s justified imo. She can’t afford to get ill as all she is doing now is prolonging what little time she has left ☹️. I don’t want her getting a cold as it could turn nasty as she is very vulnerable to infection. I would advise anyone that knows someone in a similar situation does the same to be honest. 

I broke silence yesterday evening :oops::ninja:

Told mother and best friend... they both said "we shall see the west country never gets snow"  :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

That's MILD!:rofl:

Not for the 'west country' it is not. :nonono:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

That seems to be the message within the MetO extended text forecasts as well.

interesting times!

I’ve broken silence to one person, but she has cancer at a very advanced stage, so it’s justified imo. She can’t afford to get ill as all she is doing now is prolonging what little time she has left ☹️. I don’t want her getting a cold as it could turn nasty as she is very vulnerable to infection. I would advise anyone that knows someone in a similar situation does the same to be honest. 

I wanted to like this but thought it deserved more than a like.:friends:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
32 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

After so many wet Saturdays it was every little boys dream, not having to play footie in the pouring rain...

Haha!

28 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Really...? Thursday is a long time to wait. I have a feeling I’ll be a zombie by then ?

16 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I broke silence yesterday evening :oops::ninja:

Told mother and best friend... they both said "we shall see the west country never gets snow"  :nonono:

See... that’s the standard response I get from my husband. He doesn’t believe me. Now I just don’t say anything.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I used to live on chilterns growing up as a child so I remember how cold it gets in the south east but i think its a little hard to compare with warm west country.

Although we have had historically larger falls of snow on occasion in west if we get right channel low situation. :)

15 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Not having heating on when it's - 17c?:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Wow that was a lot to read through. All 11 pages of it.  Seems things are still going as planned. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
52 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Too late for me, I'm well above the clouds already lol. I truly wonder if this up and coming (severe) cold spell could rival Dec '81 for snow depth here in Weston, easily a foot of level snow back then,would be awesome to see scenes like that again here before I'm too old to enjoy it :p

In a way I'm torn a bit in that I love cold and snow but  I'm also a animal lover and wildlife is really going to struggle, already brought a ton of duck & Swan food and I can see all the bird feeders in my garden being used a lot in the coming very weeks. 

Posted

What a time for the Beeb to have ditched the Met Office for their TV forecasts...

While they're still using them for Weather Warnings, which will no doubt be scattered like confetti next week; we could be in the situation where the warning areas don't match the model output that we're seeing on the screen.

Surely it's difficult enough with one data source, albeit the best in the world. Next week's forecasting could be a right old mess.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
20 minutes ago, jtay said:

What a time for the Beeb to have ditched the Met Office for their TV forecasts...

While they're still using them for Weather Warnings, which will no doubt be scattered like confetti next week; we could be in the situation where the warning areas don't match the model output that we're seeing on the screen.

Surely it's difficult enough with one data source, albeit the best in the world. Next week's forecasting could be a right old mess.

Totally agree. Weather events like what might appear could leave the BBC weather a right old laughing stock. Sad really because BBC weather was such a great institution, just sad its been sold down the river to a cheap alternative. I'm sure the weather forecasters know it and one wonders if they will be broadcasting through gritted teeth, can they go off script and start quoting weather from another model, might have to when the forecasts are so wildly different.

Wish fergie still posted here he could at least give us an inkling how BBC weather works now they are severed from the met office

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Coincidence 

4644A757-6DC3-4F07-A17A-9F89243C9460.jpeg

C9136666-C99E-4FFF-A3CD-A50A4FF06543.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Totally agree. Weather events like what might appear could leave the BBC weather a right old laughing stock. Sad really because BBC weather was such a great institution, just sad its been sold down the river to a cheap alternative. I'm sure the weather forecasters know it and one wonders if they will be broadcasting through gritted teeth, can they go off script and start quoting weather from another model, might have to when the forecasts are so wildly different.

I can envisage Chris Fawkes and Tom S just 'passing by' Exeter for a cuppa.

BBC : 'Oh, is that the MOGREPS in the corner?'

MO : 'Could be... could be...'

image.thumb.png.cda1910fd41af8be567e80fbff8d2105.png

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I used to live on chilterns growing up as a child so I remember how cold it gets in the south east but i think its a little hard to compare with warm west country.

Although we have had historically larger falls of snow on occasion in west if we get right channel low situation. :)

We're not especially snowy which was why December 10 was such a surprise. We're just a cold basin. Can't really see us getting any snow so all of the misery of cold but none of the fun!

Posted
27 minutes ago, SN0W SN0W SN0W said:

Not having heating on when it's - 17c?:cold:

I work in a gym that has next to no heating.  We opened in 2011 so we haven't had to endure a prolonged severe cold snap yet. Could be interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Am lurking again waiting to see if this happens or not. Also periodically scanning MoD but it's too technical in there for me lol. Am really hoping for 0 snow and not too low temps down here on the south coast as I have a pond full of frogs spawning :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Frosty hollows said:

I work in a gym that has next to no heating.  We opened in 2011 so we haven't had to endure a prolonged severe cold snap yet. Could be interesting!

Tell 'em to run faster. :reindeer-emoji: