Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

Crikey! That’s very definitely cold!! 

Wowsers!

Coldest place I've ever lived and only a ratty old solid fuel rayburn to heat it. I think it was '84/'85 but could be wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

I grew up in an old farm house with only a couple of electric heaters to warm the rooms . The fire place had been blocked off for some reason. The kids just wouldn't  cope these days.

Edited by nettie
Edit
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
5 minutes ago, nettie said:

I grew up in an old farm house with only a couple of electric heaters to warm the rooms . The fire place had been blocked off for some reason.

I rememeber my nan and grandads house was a farmhouse which just had a rayburn, a few radiators which were heated from the rayburn and an open fire. It also had blocked up fireplaces in the bedrooms upstairs. I don't know what it was like before the radiators were added but it never seemed too bad with them.

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Well all this reminiscing has tired me out , so happy snow dreams everyone.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, matt111 said:

If they somehow stayed open there would be no chance of them allowing them outside to play in it. 

Nah..that's bull. In my 18 yrs teaching our school never closed  (unfortunately) because of snow, though admittedly we're a dry cold basin  (which is why I'm dreading this potential mini ice age). We were always open and more than happy to indulge snow games !!

Posted

Amazing temperature rise over a very short time this morning as the breeze picks up in the region of 6C rise in under an hour.

Watching the seagulls surf the air currents over Richmond Hill car park, they  are having a blast this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Looks like rain is heading our way, one thing you can guarantee the weather models can predict correct from a week away.

I have the feeling we will be peering into the MAD thread this time next week and still seeing people chasing an easterly at over 10 day away.  

• Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, SteveB said:

I have the feeling we will be peering into the MAD thread this time next week and still seeing people chasing an easterly at over 10 day away.  

Yeah, itt's always 10days away...why do people bother...even the SSW is taking a 10day sloooooow walk to work....

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

Yeah, itt's always 10days away...why do people bother...even the SSW is taking a 10day break...

I have a stinking cold at the moment, so it's not helping me think positive. But even if I didn't feel like a bag of S#*T I find it difficult to see what all the fuss is about.

We all know if there's one place in the Northern hemisphere that is the Houdini of escaping bitter cold, it the UK.

I would love to see snow, and I'm not giving up yet...........  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
14 minutes ago, SteveB said:

I have a stinking cold at the moment, so it's not helping me think positive. But even if I didn't feel like a bag of S#*T I find it difficult to see what all the fuss is about.

We all know if there's one place in the Northern hemisphere that is the Houdini of escaping bitter cold, it the UK.

I would love to see snow, and I'm not giving up yet...........  

I’m feeling ever optimistic. I’ll review this feeling after the 18z run tonight ?.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning, it was frosty here when I went to bed but all gone this morning. Now grey with ominous looking cloud, another wet one incoming, so bored of all the rain this winter. Much as I love snow, I wouldn't mind an early spring, had enough of being cold and wet all day, day after day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
9 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning, it was frosty here when I went to bed but all gone this morning. Now grey with ominous looking cloud, another wet one incoming, so bored of all the rain this winter. Much as I love snow, I wouldn't mind an early spring, had enough of being cold and wet all day, day after day.

At least after today it’s meant to improve. Today is the last truly wet day for the foreseeable I believe 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, khodds said:

At least after today it’s meant to improve. Today is the last truly wet day for the foreseeable I believe 

Hooray :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all. Well the short term forecast looks pretty uninspiring.  Temps round about, if not slightly above normal though I guess we're looking beyond next week to feel any effects of the ssw In which case trying to predict the weather is a losing game! And once we get into spring it's only a matter of time before storm watch starts which will make EVERYTHING in the current mad thread seem tame. Very tame.

6 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Curiously my temp is now dropping after a high of 4.8c it’s now 3.9c

what about you @Mapantz ?

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
7 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

Nah..that's bull. In my 18 yrs teaching our school never closed  (unfortunately) because of snow, though admittedly we're a dry cold basin  (which is why I'm dreading this potential mini ice age). We were always open and more than happy to indulge snow games !!

In 2009/2010 my children's primary wouldn't let them outside the building.  ??

Edited by SNOW CRYSTAL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
13 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Curiously my temp is now dropping after a high of 4.8c it’s now 3.9c

what about you @Mapantz ?

Yap. High of 6.3°C and now down to 4.8°C

TemperatureDay.thumb.png.ea855eecea86d7f57b6a32c4b6428027.png

• Like 1

Posted

Another so close yet so far 

FD4AE5AE-0057-45D1-B8D4-B8B99B2D4D4B.thumb.jpeg.26db14952932f21f50734ae4ca59b4ec.jpeg

Posted

Well its high stakes time.....rumour has it that a ferry,worryingly named Titanic Two has set sail from the Artic,its full of polar bears with return tickets to Southampton.Local coach company is then to transfer them to the Bournemouth beaches,each with penguin sandwiches,for a stay in the bitter conditions promised to the entire country,as promised by the inmates of Loon City.Why high stakes,well from the Met Office downwards now its going to happen,and if it doesn't..................lol

Posted
Just now, jy said:

Well its high stakes time.....rumour has it that a ferry,worryingly named Titanic Two has set sail from the Artic,its full of polar bears with return tickets to Southampton.Local coach company is then to transfer them to the Bournemouth beaches,each with penguin sandwiches,for a stay in the bitter conditions promised to the entire country,as promised by the inmates of Loon City.Why high stakes,well from the Met Office downwards now its going to happen,and if it doesn't..................lol

We all know once the Met Office are on board, it's all over! :nonono:

Posted

A light sleety, haily sort of wintry shower thing going on here! It's coming from the Southeast, which is an odd direction.

Edited by noggin

Posted

oh no, now got to be patient until March reading GP's post.... I'm not the most patient of people and a march Easterly worries me for us Southerners..

Lets hope we can get a significant cold pool to our East in the next 2 weeks, because if we need to wait until March we might need it for a proper cold outbreak!