Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
24 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Imagine the spurs fans on this forum, they’ve watched a crap 12z set of model runs, now they gotta watch their Team get smashed by Juve. :rofl: 

No.....the MAD thread has more similarity with the gooner forum except they're anticipating Wenger's departure to be announced at t+48 and are perpetually disappointed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I have my sister staying with me this week. She just told me that on the BBC weather, they mentioned something colder beyond this weekend, in to next week. Is that normal for the BBC? They've seriously put all of their eggs in one basket if they have. I've seen that go wrong on many occasions!

Yep, see my earlier post - Ian F has just told the whole points west region there’s a 70% chance of colder conditions. He said latest charts were pointing at end of February and into March more likely

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

One wonders if those in the MAD thread need a boyfriend/girlfriend in their life or even if they get outside and see the weather that they espouse their "knowledge" about. Sad state to get in.

Apart from our @karlos1983 of course who is just one gin short of a decent rain meter. 

I would like snow as much as the next but there is a line...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, festivalking said:

One wonders if those in the MAD thread need a boyfriend/girlfriend in their life or even if they get outside and see the weather that they espouse their "knowledge" about. Sad state to get in.

Apart from our @karlos1983 of course who is just one gin short of a decent rain meter. 

Yes it’s  called the M4 ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
Just now, karlos1983 said:

Oh festivalking you walked right into that one... :rofl:

Posted

I like to daydream. I do this a lot.. ie; what I will do when a win the lottery, or when I win that luxury holiday to the Maldives... all very unlikely to happen but... another daydream is what it would actually be like to live through a 1947 or 1962 scenario in today’s modern society. What do you all think it’ll be like if it ever happened..?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

I like to daydream. I do this a lot.. ie; what I will do when a win the lottery, or when I win that luxury holiday to the Maldives... all very unlikely to happen but... another daydream is what it would actually be like to live through a 1947 or 1962 scenario in today’s modern society. What do you all think it’ll be like if it ever happened..?

We would be looking for the mild breakdown and forget to go play in the snow of course lol

joking aside, I would have loved to lived through something like that. Wow! 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

We would be looking for the mild breakdown and forget to go play in the snow of course lol

Ah yes! Of course haha! So true though ?

Posted
17 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

16 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Oh festivalking you walked right into that one... :rofl:

Oh heck double gin required:fool:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
21 minutes ago, festivalking said:

you might like my latest composition in there.....might not last very long though :wink:

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I have my sister staying with me this week. She just told me that on the BBC weather, they mentioned something colder beyond this weekend, in to next week. Is that normal for the BBC? They've seriously put all of their eggs in one basket if they have. I've seen that go wrong on many occasions!

It's because their 14 day forecast says so!

Did anyone save the info on the first day that 14 day forecast was available? To see what it will be like once that initial day 14 turns up!

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, festivalking said:

I swear there are some people on that thread who'd still find something to complain about after having the best 'hank panky' possible. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

you might like my latest composition in there.....might not last very long though :wink:

Ha ha very good. Mind you I'll take a cut of any royalties but you can keep all negative feed back!!!

Posted

Anyway back to the weather we have dipped below freezing again. Beautiful clear night at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 minute ago, festivalking said:

Ha ha very good. Mind you I'll take a cut of any royalties but you can keep all negative feed back!!!

it's a deal.....we SWerners have to look out for one another in there...lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
11 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Did anyone save the info on the first day that 14 day forecast was available? To see what it will be like once that initial day 14 turns up!

Well, if it's anything like this mornings nowcast and forecast, it would be exceptionally incorrect! It had me down for light rain and drizzle, and yet we had heavy rain - almost torrential at times. That's the second time it has done that, as well.

Posted
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

Thanks I now have chocolate  cake crumbs in my bleeding laptop keys ..

Posted
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Thanks I now have chocolate  cake crumbs in my bleeding laptop keys ..

You’re gonna need Chio’s hoover then :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

joking aside, I would have loved to lived through something like that. Wow! 

I did, drop by some time and I’ll tell you all about the winter of 62-63 in Poole, and tales of 47 in Yorkshire...

have you read the Dorset weather book, got some great stuff on the winter of 62-63?

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I did, drop by some time and I’ll tell you all about the winter of 62-63 in Poole, and tales of 47 in Yorkshire...

have you read the Dorset weather book, got some great stuff on the winter of 62-63?

Ooh please tell! I love listening to people’s accounts of those winters. My grandparents were literally snowed in for weeks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, khodds said:

Ooh please tell! I love listening to people’s accounts of those winters. My grandparents were literally snowed in for weeks!

My dads told me a few stories about winters past, including milk being delivered by helicopter as all the roads nearby were blocked. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, matt111 said:

My dads told me a few stories about winters past, including milk being delivered by helicopter as all the roads nearby were blocked. 

I come from a farming family and they had to try and get the milk (then in churns) to the main roads each day as the trucks couldn’t make it down the lanes.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, khodds said:

It would be different now, because things have changed. I remember walking to school in the Winter of 62/63, I was living in Exeter back then. We all walked, teachers and pupils, because the pupils all went to nearby schools and the teachers worked in nearby schools. Today, pupils and teachers can live 5, 10, 20 miles from school so getting there in very deep snow would be difficult. Also, most married women didn't go out to work then either so there is a big chunk of the population that didn't need to be getting to work. Nowadays people have to travel much further during the course of their days so there are massive travel problems when there is deep snow lying.

That is just my take on "getting around" in such conditions.

If I could put my weary mind to thinking about food supplies, I would, but I can't. People generally didn't have food freezers back then, but there were more local shops.

Things have changed since the early 60s and as my old driving instructor used to say "you can't compare peas and carrots"! So I won't be one of the old whingers who complains that 'it wasn't like that back in my day" and that "we just used to get on with it"....... we all live different lives now, things that were problematic back then aren't problematic now and vice versa.

I'll shut up now. ?

PS Aren't we lucky to have Ian Ferguson doing our local weather forecasts!

Edited by noggin
To add PS
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

My dad was born on the 21st January 1947. I always remember my nan telling me stories of how deep the snow was and how the nurse couldn't get through to her to check if mum and baby were OK.  Luckily my dad was number 5 of 7 children so nan was a bit of a pro by then. I wish I could of seen it for myself the Wiltshire countryside covered in deep snow. I can only dream now!! :cold:

• Like 3