Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
5 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Better than the Minack view?

On a par but quieter. Love the Minack but it's always packed, think the only way to get a quiet time there is to go in the middle of a storm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

-0.5 °C here. Doesn't feel that cold. I really thought that I'd see some very cold temps over the last few days, but they haven't materialised.

The BBC weather app updated about 20 minutes ago, and removed the -4C, and put -1C as the low, now. That app is now going to be deleted, which is a shame, as I liked the layout. But, the temperature projections have been so far out, that it's not worth keeping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've finally finished my new aqua-scape!

The lights are programmed by my PC, so I have them fade to a sunset, then to a slight moonlight, before they automatically fade off.

A fresh, new 2KG fire extinguisher to inject Co2 during the day, to help the plants grow and keep algae at bay. I ordered the Seiryu stone from Germany and three types of aqua-soil. I can watch it grow/cycle out for 5 or 6 weeks now, before adding some new fish. :D

Really pleased with it!

1000721.jpg 1000728.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
49 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The lights are programmed by my PC, so I have them fade to a sunset, then to a slight moonlight, before they automatically fade off.

A fresh, new 2KG fire extinguisher to inject Co2 during the day, to help the plants grow and keep algae at bay. I ordered the Seiryu stone from Germany and three types of aqua-soil. I can watch it grow/cycle out for 5 or 6 weeks now, before adding some new fish. :D

Really pleased with it!

1000721.jpg 1000728.jpg

One word ' Stunning . Love it .

Hard work though ' i have Marine set up here ... Love what you have though . If you add Fish ' Let us know what you add please .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
6 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Phew!!! 

Swapped Gin for Brandy tonight, sorry gang :oops:

Brandy....That's a whole new area for discussion ?

Posted

Morning all, a quick scan of the newspaper this morning to find this

“Dorset and Hampshire last night shivered through the big freeze – and early this morning weathermen were recording the lowest air temperature for years.”

Bournemouth saw its coldest temperature since 1972, at minus 6.9C"

Rubs eyes, looks outside..:shok:

Reads the paper again quick check and sees "Forty years ago, a serious ‘big freeze’ was followed by snow so thick that most of Dorset and Hampshire was brought to a standstill....." 1978

Hohum http://bit.ly/2Ep5iBv

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Morning :vava:

-4.7c i got down to. I think that’s a record for my station, will need to check later when I get home.

• Like 1

Posted

Meanwhile back in the here and now, it was -2.3°C with minimal covering on the car of frost when I left home about an hour ago and now it's warming up @ -1.9°C.

Clear skies some slight haze around the moon possibly suggesting the moisture for later today..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
2 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

No air frost this morning but temp hovering just above freezing at dawn.

No Frost here and was 2c when i left for work very overcast now.

Posted

The last 3 days have been wonderful but no glorious sunshine to come today.

Cloud has thickened quick enough to deny a colourful sunrise, the sky was still mostly clear an hour ago.

Surprised to see showers on the radar over Somerset this early too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Strangely warmer than I had hoped this morning +1.5c and cloudy. We just had a shower of something but I missed it.. I’d imagine it was snow but it’s melted anyway.

Posted
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

We just had a shower of something but I missed it.. I’d imagine it was snow but it’s melted anyway.

You have such a VIVID imagination:doh:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

You have such a VIVID imagination:doh:

One can only dream of these things these days ?

Posted

Morning, a sprinkling of flakes on the car this morning so something white and fluffy must have fallen at some point, still got a covering on the deck, table and grass too; the old wives tale of snow hanging around was that it was waiting for some more - aren't we all! Not feeling so cold though and we've lost our sunny blue sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
7 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Oh dream a little dream with me... as usual in "Never never land", dream a little dream with me...

uktheory.JPG

Is that a ramp :ninja:

Posted
6 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

No...it's a picture of ethersnow... What you find is the closer you get to see it falling the more it evaporates...

Posted

I did see a few extremely rare snow grains on Tuesday and Tuesday evening!

Anyway, its been a nice seasonal feeling cold snap however the last 3 nights have not been as cold as they could have been. Monday night had stubborn cloud at times so it only dropped to -3.5C when it looked like the coldest night of the winter. Tuesday night stayed above freezing due to wind until 4am, then fell to -3.0C.

The cloud was forecast by most models (though it did manage -1.7C and I just had a bit of rain at -0.2C lol), however it's still kind of annoying to have 24-30 hours of cloud before the front, when places like Hurn and Southampton eastwards got to -6C.

As a result we didn't get the coldest minimum of the winter from this spell.

(I see -13C locally over the snow cover in North France and the front looks to turn to snow there easily! lol)

Posted
7 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Would I be ramping if I admitted to looking at that and instantly imagining that large blob in the channel to be 150 miles or so further North?

Posted
7 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Really pleased with it!

1000721.jpg 1000728.jpg

Looks lovely! I now have aquarium and weather station envy! Have a 120l commuity tank and a 65l breeding tank but l like that set up!

Toasty 3oc here this morning after a min of -1 last night.

• Like 2