Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Tense times ahead for the next few days, I'd imagine the Mad Thread will be full of up's and down's.. Proceed with caution. I just hope we don't end up in a situation like a few years ago when The north and wales quite literally got buried and we saw very little. Think that was the result of a late SSW from memory. Fingers toes etc all crossed! A bit of luck would certainly be welcomed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Tense times ahead for the next few days, I'd imagine the Mad Thread will be full of up's and down's.. Proceed with caution. I just hope we don't end up in a situation like a few years ago when The north and wales quite literally got buried and we saw very little. Think that was the result of a late SSW from memory. Fingers toes etc all crossed! A bit of luck would certainly be welcomed!

Not like we’ve been waiting 5 years for it or anything... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

It's interesting with this upcoming event Thursday night into Friday. The current GFS shows rain turning to snow readily across the SE as the colder 850hpa temps move in from behind. There has been an increasing tendency over the last few days for our weather pattern to correct east. Not only that but from my own experience I don't expect the front to move so quicker into the block of cold air sat over us, have a strange feeling the front is likely to slow down or to be pushed further as it moves eastwards hopefully allowing the cold air to undercut the front. Obviously the NetWx SR currently shows just a band of rain for Friday but if the front doesn't move through so swiftly, who knows what will happen.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 1

Posted

Nothing doing on the Euro4,cold air only really reaching NW parts of Scotland and N Ireland 

15EC1AFA-A9B0-4789-8E93-8B0115D738E3.thumb.gif.781065c7e2d141aab2211b66426d08d5.gif

well apart from some rather high totals 

6FA4AABE-541E-4C87-B6D3-20457B66EE4B.thumb.gif.2ca0bb158f464154234f0b28f034e7f0.gif

:bad:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
6 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Nothing doing on the Euro4,cold air only really reaching NW parts of Scotland and N Ireland 

15EC1AFA-A9B0-4789-8E93-8B0115D738E3.thumb.gif.781065c7e2d141aab2211b66426d08d5.gif

well apart from some rather high totals 

6FA4AABE-541E-4C87-B6D3-20457B66EE4B.thumb.gif.2ca0bb158f464154234f0b28f034e7f0.gif

:bad:

:bad: indeed 

As we keep saying why is it so easy when it’s just rain yet it’s a different story when it comes to snow?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Up to 5.7 °C here. That means that I haven't recorded the coldest day this week, that was set on the 8th of January. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Gorgeous sunny day on Hayling Island - I'm off to the seaside to make the most of it :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
56 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Would be OK by me if Wales gets buried!!  :yahoo:       Let me know if you think this is likely :rofl:

Sorry - not spying or anything - just having a look around!  :hi:

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Of course the ssw could bring a nice early spring ..

Hmmm not sure about that! I see it as cold spring with fun in the snow or cold spring with cold rain..... 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
3 hours ago, ARTDEMOLE said:

Snow still on parked cars. On Bungalow roofs. Some on the grass. Some on the hill slopes but not all of the fields.

Temperatures -0.6c.  Wind Chill -2.3c. Dewpoint -5.0c. Apparent -3.1c. 1005.1 hPa. Breeze 6 mph. N.Westerly

Great.. but I take it alas no snow on the roofs of houses? Bungalows yes? not houses? :unknw::nonono:

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

It's interesting with this upcoming event Thursday night into Friday. The current GFS shows rain turning to snow readily across the SE as the colder 850hpa temps move in from behind. There has been an increasing tendency over the last few days for our weather pattern to correct east. Not only that but from my own experience I don't expect the front to move so quicker into the block of cold air sat over us, have a strange feeling the front is likely to slow down or to be pushed further as it moves eastwards hopefully allowing the cold air to undercut the front. Obviously the NetWx SR currently shows just a band of rain for Friday but if the front doesn't move through so swiftly, who knows what will happen.

"who knows what will happen"....oh yes we do.. :) lots of gin talk, a busy thread,:gathering: a late night, plenty of radar grabs, some praying, some pleading, some lamppost watching and ....rain. :sorry::wallbash:

Posted

Well I personally haven't seen one single snowflake this winter and as per usual do not expect to see any change in that outlook.  Its the same every year living here in this micro climate.  Model output full of promise always collapsing when the event draws near.   Without wishing to sound an old misery I would rather now the models didn't show any cold spell then I could avoid another probable disappointment and concentrate on looking forward to the spring.

Its a lovely day today and I just want more of the same and to feel the sun on my back.  I find it astonishing that many posters in the MAD thread with the realisation that there isn't going to be any snow comment with  "At least its going to be cold"  Cold for colds sake doesn't do it for me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Right, one last try... Forecasts show 0°C by 7pm and -3°C by midnight, here. It'd be nice if humidity didn't go above 75% later tonight, that would produce a nice, low dew point if the temperatures do get down to those figures.

Posted
19 hours ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

''Twas very odd when I left work this afternoon . Hazy sun, bitterly cold rain and sleety then the odd snowflake.

cloudy when the sun set and really cold now. 

Im feeling flu like despite the flu jab  wing given in September . 

Did you see anything dec' 10 snow? In Taunton I mean ?  

Yes I saw a bit of dandruff floating around, but that was it... can’t complain, that’s more than some have seen this winter! And I make that the first snow since 2013 I believe (even though it is only dandruff).

Posted

My folks got an unwelcome surprise this morning in GA, USA. 

117990BF-F1F5-4886-8EAC-0DA41DD964C0.thumb.png.66749008175324b1553e62744dbabce5.png251FC217-4FCD-43BA-8E33-B5F187A61D7C.thumb.png.f5522a20d6340d56732d770e54493673.png

violent winds, frequent lightning and damaging Hail. Not sure yet if anything touched down or not. I did ask them what’s the problem? Sounds awesome and to stop complaining lol :pardon:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

"who knows what will happen"....oh yes we do.. :) lots of gin talk, a busy thread,:gathering: a late night, plenty of radar grabs, some praying, some pleading, some lamppost watching and ....rain. :sorry::wallbash:

Valium ... You forgot the Valium!!

Posted
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yes please!!!

Would you substitute a snowy spell for that?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Valium ... You forgot the Valium!!

Argh.... see even the mention of it, sends us hysterical...you are so right ... the Valium... we must also remember the yoga breathing exercises for next time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
37 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Hmmm not sure about that! I see it as cold spring with fun in the snow or cold spring with cold rain..... 

No doubt cold rain. It' the southern way!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Would you substitute a snowy spell for that?

Ain't gonna happen sweetpea ;-) We've been here too many times before ;-) Close the freezer door

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Argh.... see even the mention of it, sends us hysterical...you are so right ... the Valium... we must also remember the yoga breathing exercises for next time

Right your in charge of them Mrs! All I can do is labour breathing - Although I guess it's the same - This waiting is almost as long as my labour was ...