Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
Just now, SteveB said:

Points West made for depressing viewing tonight. Front well and truly decayed as it approaches the West Country. Best chance yet of settling snow ? this Winter and even that looks like going pair shaped.

I will not give up on seeing something tomorrow, but hopes are fading fast 

I coundnt even be bothered to view it so I went off to check how my paint is drying. :nonono:.

I think as a cost cutting exercise they should just put points west forecast on repeat daily because we never see anything.

Right i'll go crawl back under my rock until Karlos teases me with another stonker :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
4 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Points West made for depressing viewing tonight. Front well and truly decayed as it approaches the West Country. Best chance yet of settling snow ? this Winter and even that looks like going pair shaped.

I will not give up on seeing something tomorrow, but hopes are fading fast 

Boo Points West. That band is thickening so whatever you are doing Ireland give it that extra va va boom to resist the decaying potential ,.,

Posted
3 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Sky is looking much darker to the north east too of Reading,,, could just be time of day and brightness of sun in the south, as there is nought on the radar.

We got a few spots. Looked far more potent than it was

Posted
Just now, Polar Bear said:

Boo Points West. That band is thickening so whatever you are doing Ireland give it that extra va va boom to resist the decaying potential ,.,

It could reach biblical proportions of intensity but its got to climb a couple of hundred metres in wales so you know what will happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
3 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I coundnt even be bothered to view it so I went off to check how my paint is drying. :nonono:.

I think as a cost cutting exercise they should just put points west forecast on repeat daily because we never see anything.

Right i'll go crawl back under my rock until Karlos teases me with another stonker :pardon:

04867F63-508C-4155-9502-35CA01D0AF52.thumb.png.346c1aefd70b2f793b86af7b04025d97.png

Posted
Just now, Nights King said:

It could reach biblical proportions of intensity but its got to climb a couple of hundred metres in wales so you know what will happen.

I know I know you are so right..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

Bloody mountains, we're scuppered which ever way we turn. 

Come SSW, we in the West Country are routing for you

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

04867F63-508C-4155-9502-35CA01D0AF52.thumb.png.346c1aefd70b2f793b86af7b04025d97.png

He took the bait.. :rofl:

This winter weather really gets to me though I swear I have some snow related SAD syndrome. :crazy::cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
15 minutes ago, Nights King said:

the brecon beacons look great and all, but weather wise, im sick of them, we could've had so many more decent snowfalls if those stupid hills weren't ruining it for us :( 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chul said:

Evening all, hope you’re all having a good one x This is me tonight so far........

48E98567-5C20-423E-BF36-515A26D96BB8.png

Someone been looking at ugg shoes of late... :whistling:

So eyes down for the pub run then. I might actually go to the pub tonight even though it is a Monday hmm :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted

The temp reached 5.1C in the sunny spells here today.

Currently +2.1C and barely falling due to a total overcast since about 5:30pm.. which better bugger off!

The forecast mins from the Met Office etc have seemed a bit high anyway, only going for -1/-2C despite showing it being clear and calm all night. I'd expect -5 or -6C here if that was the case in this airmass. The models can be quite poor with overnight minima (even taking account of me being a valley/cold spot).

As for snow tomorrow here, well :laugh: to that idea.. so the possible lowest min of the winter is what interests me more.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I’m imagining 10 foot snow drifts as a result of this forecast SSW.... just imagine... it would be EPIC. Not even my snow shovel will be able to cope.

We can dream...

Posted
1 minute ago, khodds said:

I’m imagining 10 foot snow drifts as a result of this forecast SSW.... just imagine... it would be EPIC. Not even my snow shovel will be able to cope.

We can dream...

Surely if the ssw is still a week away it wont start to show until third week of feb at earliest though? :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
Just now, Nights King said:

Surely if the ssw is still a week away it wont start to show until third week of feb at earliest though? :cc_confused:

It may be a bit quicker from my understanding as it’s a rapid one which is rarer than I normal one I believe.. if I’ve read things right...?

Posted
Just now, khodds said:

It may be a bit quicker from my understanding as it’s a rapid one which is rarer than I normal one I believe.. if I’ve read things right...?

Rapid so it could start as early as the 18th.. just no earlier please eh :spiteful:

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Rapid so it could start as early as the 18th.. just no earlier please eh :spiteful:

Following recent comments I’ve brought it forward to the 12th, lasting just under a week with a quick thaw of the 3 foot snow drifts on the 18th. Southwesterlies to dominate thereafter. Until your next trip that is :closedeyes: :laugh:

Posted

Just kidding, blizzard upon your arrival! 

My focus now is getting that front to revigorate 6 hours earlier 

AA8E548A-995D-4691-BD06-E5FEED8793AB.thumb.gif.579af206a7e3af3ba4e57c298c16a1ac.gifB0353250-982E-4167-9726-BB3A521D153E.thumb.gif.2f85bdae3e5fb5677499cabad76213be.gif

@matt111 you’re in pole position for our region at the moment 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Ah the evening before the latest snow non-event on the regionsl thread. Nought like it :pardon:

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

AA8E548A-995D-4691-BD06-E5FEED8793AB.thumb.gif.579af206a7e3af3ba4e57c298c16a1ac.gifB0353250-982E-4167-9726-BB3A521D153E.thumb.gif.2f85bdae3e5fb5677499cabad76213be.gif

That looks pretty good to me ??

Posted
1 minute ago, festivalking said:

Ah the evening before the latest snow non-event on the regionsl thread. Nought like it :pardon:

I got excited at seeing the gritter lorries out in force this evening . They’ve done stirling job in west Berkshire. Wish they could name the lorries like Scotland has ...brad grit... ha ha https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/sir-salter-scott-names-of-scottish-road-gritters-prove-a-hit-1-4662777

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I got excited at seeing the gritter lorries out in force this evening . They’ve done stirling job in west Berkshire. Wish they could name the lorries like Scotland has ...brad grit... ha ha https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/sir-salter-scott-names-of-scottish-road-gritters-prove-a-hit-1-4662777

Problem is they cant hold a job down as a gritter they only needed once a decade. :nonono:

I did notice them out in force I expect the local councils have said use it or lose it :whistling:

There was so much salt down outside Tesco today it was almost a hazard in itself!

Posted
13 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Always a chance it could stall further west and invigorate or am I just dreaming now?

Posted
1 minute ago, Nights King said:

Problem is they cant hold a job down as a gritter they only needed once a decade. :nonono:

I did notice them out in force I expect the local councils have said use it or lose it :whistling:

There was so much salt down outside Tesco today it was almost a hazard in itself!

Know what you mean about the last bit.. almost skidded on the roundabout on grit about two weeks ago think it was .. on road off road driving .. yee ha