Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
1 minute ago, Chul said:

Not me, 1974 :sorry:....jeez I feel really old now, I did say I thought you were all great, ummmmm maybe not so much :rofl:

I’m middling to you lot then - 1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, khodds said:

I’m middling to you lot then - 1981

Your twitter name sort of gives that away.. :rofl:

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Your twitter name sort of gives that away.. :rofl:

Damn it! I forgot that was on my signature  :rofl:. I don’t see it as it doesn’t show on my phone 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
18 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Dec '81 repeat please :D

Oh yes please.

Posted
32 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yup Chio and Catacol are a breathe of fresh air in there tonight. Hopefully it stops the numpties in their tracks from posting garbage for a couple of hours at least ?

I love chio. Informative without being a patronising muppet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Despite what the radar is telling us I can report we are currently  enjoying a hefty shower. Of rain. It's 0.9C and it's raining :fool:

What's your humidity and pressure at?

Posted
26 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Hehe - yes they are indeed @khodds The only trouble now is I want next week to pass rather quickly which is a shame because the next few days are not without interest. Some light snow is possible. However I'd go for around Feb 15 for the real fun to begin.. and the signal to strengthen as the children prepare to go back to school. For those of us in the SW this is a better setup than the famous Dec 2010 - we will need to see how it pans out of course over the next week or so... and there are bound to be some bumps on the Mod thread as the usual half empty brigade go looking for the runs that suggest "normal February weather" - but once the block is in place it is all eyes down for the perfectly angled channel runner that might bring inches and inches of white gold with it.

See I can't get excited about Nov/Dec 2010 part deux. I am no sun worshipper but having the best part of a month sub zero ish with a low of -17c in the heartlands of middle England was, frankly, crap. As I work in an unheated barn I'm not sharing the thrill

Posted

None of my weather forecasts show anything exciting at all:wallbash:  honestly, is there something in the offing? Please reassure me oh lovely people :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Nearest analogue for the vortex split as forecast is 1985 - so charts like the one I posted on the Mod thread or others like this:

archives-1985-1-17-0-0.png

But every year and pattern is unique.. so let's watch what happens as this spell evolves.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Chul said:

None of my weather forecasts show anything exciting at all:wallbash:  honestly, is there something in the offing? Please reassure me oh lovely people :nonono:

Timescales all important @Chul - we are really talking about more than 10 days away still....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

I was 10 in Dec 81. I remember having to stay at my nan's  house for an extra week because my parents couldn't get through to pick me up. Fun times on the farm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Euro 4 18z still has the front still having some intensity before it fades as it heads further east. 

intens.thumb.gif.9b7b2de6b6bd100ac27f287e646279d2.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

Pressure is 1025mPa, humidity 93%. I'm on the  edge!

Your wetbulb temp is at 0.4°C - borderline for snow, but the zero degree isotherm is also a bit high, so not overly favourable.

• Like 1

Posted

Right, I’m done. Snowy dreams you lovely lot x

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, khodds said:

Jeez.... only about 1 post on the 18z in the MAD thread... what’s going on?!

It's got better in last hour Khodds! Chio and our own @Catacol with a fantastic explanation on whats evolving and what we could look forward to as a result sounds promising!

• Like 1

Posted

I dont think we will really how much of a dusting - or not - we might get on Tuesday until it is actually Tuesday. The front is certainly decaying... but speed and extent of that decay just about impossible to get accurate until the day itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
5 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Nearest analogue for the vortex split as forecast is 1985 - so charts like the one I posted on the Mod thread or others like this:

archives-1985-1-17-0-0.png

But every year and pattern is unique.. so let's watch what happens as this spell evolves.

In 1985 I was living in Northamptonshire and we had tons of snow. No idea what it was like around these parts though, was it snowy here too?

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark N said:

It's got better in last hour Khodds! Chio and our own @Catacol with a fantastic explanation on whats evolving and what we could look forward to as a result sounds promising!

Thanks Mark - yes it all kicked off didn’t it! Fantastic ?

Posted
11 minutes ago, Catacol said:

I dont think we will really how much of a dusting - or not - we might get on Tuesday until it is actually Tuesday. The front is certainly decaying... but speed and extent of that decay just about impossible to get accurate until the day itself.

Absolutely. May get a few hours of very light snow, which in itself could leave a dusting or slight covering. Then its a case of looking behind as could be troughs/shower streams in the flow. 

Posted

First air frost for Camborne of the winter relatively rare down there. Unusually Devon and Cornwall among coldest spots in the country. 

CE507F3E-B091-48BD-A1B6-1CE75AC6370C.thumb.png.462b96a64ef650aa2a4a7301f08cc3b3.png