Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I’m gutted I can’t LIKE anything anymore ?. Why is there a limit?! No fair.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
4 minutes ago, khodds said:

I’m not very good at explaining but my thoughts on this are; there’s a huge pool of cold air high up over the pole, the atmosphere there is going to warm up very quickly and displace this cold air so it’s no longer one big mass; this is good for coldies as it enhances our chances of cold weather

Superstar! Much better - Yep and Wikipedia gave a definition (which I should edit to yours ;) ).  “A sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) is an event where the polar vortex of westerly winds in the winter hemisphere slows down or even reverses direction over the course of a few days. The change is accompanied by a rise of stratospheric temperature by several tens of kelvins.

Posted

Just had another thought re this thread. We hardly ever need moderating in here either - shows what a pleasant we’ll rounded bunch we are. They must be out there somewhere watching though :ninja: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

I’m gutted I can’t LIKE anything anymore ?. Why is there a limit?! No fair.

What’s the limit and when does it reset? It must reset surely? 

Posted
1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Superstar! Much better - Yep and Wikipedia gave a definition (which I should edit to yours ;) ).  “A sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) is an event where the polar vortex of westerly winds in the winter hemisphere slows down or even reverses direction over the course of a few days. The change is accompanied by a rise of stratospheric temperature by several tens of kelvins.

Fab - thank you! Sorry - I can’t like your post ?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Polar Bear said:

What’s the limit and when does it reset? It must reset surely? 

Really don’t know... shows I’ve had a busy day ?

Posted
1 minute ago, khodds said:

Just had another thought re this thread. We hardly ever need moderating in here either - shows what a pleasant we’ll rounded bunch we are. They must be out there somewhere watching though :ninja: 

Didn’t GTLTW ( gottilovetheweather) moderate? Haven’t seen him on here for age. Miss his posts. 

Posted
1 minute ago, khodds said:

Really don’t know... shows I’ve had a busy day ?

I remember reading it somewhere but can’t remember where ha ha! I’ll have a look. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Didn’t GTLTW ( gottilovetheweather) moderate? Haven’t seen him on here for age. Miss his posts. 

Oh yes - I wonder where he is too? I’m sure he was around not so long ago? 

Edited by khodds

Posted

Just back from a ploughing match up at Brackley near Oxford and despite the windchill it was a pleasant day in the sun however we did have two snow showers, nothing heavy and didn't last long but certainly flakes. Temp here 4.1C currently here at home.

Posted

The mad thread wasn't too bad. I'll summarise it for you all to save you the bother of going over. SSW is imminent (I gathered that from twitter tbf). Nobody knows what this will mean for the weather. Or when it will happen. Hell could freeze over and things might go BOOM apparently. It might affect us. It might not. February might be cold or spring might be round the corner 

• Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Ashme said:

Am I right in saying, this SSW could equally bring mild weather or cold weather dependent on where it falls?

Id take all the SSW buff in the model thread with a massive pinch of salt. There is no guarentee that it will have any effect on the tiny tiny piece of land the UK. Lots of ego fuelling posting pretty charts that bear no relation to our shores, just a world wide outlook. 

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

The mad thread wasn't too bad. I'll summarise it for you all to save you the bother of going over. SSW is imminent (I gathered that from twitter tbf). Nobody knows what this will mean for the weather. Or when it will happen. Hell could freeze over and things might go BOOM apparently. It might affect us. It might not. February might be cold or spring might be round the corner 

I always find it interesting as we begin to approach mid Feb,as the MAD thread often talks of the PV being displaced, well we are approaching the time of year when it naturally gets displaced, as it looses it strength, so I'm not really sure why folks read a lot into the PV being displaced in 10 days time because we will be approaching March by then, so nothing too untoward really. As to SSW I've seen that term for so many years and NOBODY really understands what the impact is likely to be. I've seen years when people panic and hang their calendars on it, and nothing happens, so as in previous years unless somebody can really define the impact, it's just one of those unknowns..Of course I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some folks on here as I learnt  at the University of Life..

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I always find it interesting as we begin to approach mid Feb,as the MAD thread often talks of the PV being displaced, well we are approaching the time of year when it naturally gets displaced, as it looses it strength, so I'm not really sure why folks read a lot into the PV being displaced in 10 days time because we will be approaching March by then, so nothing too untoward really. As to SSW I've seen that term for so many years and NOBODY really understands what the impact is likely to be. I've seen years when people panic and hang their calendars on it, and nothing happens, so as in previous years unless somebody can really define the impact, it's just one of those unknowns..Of course I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some folks on here as I learnt  at the University of Life..

Just love that post. You may not be as knowledgeable as you say but you have interpreted to the layman or laywoman. That is a skill. :good:

Posted

Don't get me wrong...I enjoy a bit of conjecture but weather isn't an exact science and nobody can say with any certainty that one event or set up will guarantee a particular weather. It's the posters who take themselves so seriously make me laugh. Some of it us way over my head but I don't like to ask in case they realise im not very smart ?

Posted
43 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

According to the radar things looking better up your way at the mo..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

According to the radar thongs looking better up your way at the mo..

An X-rated radar?:crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I am also one that hardly ever posts but am always following the forum,especially when snow or storms are a possibility.Have been here since the end of the BBC Snowwatch times! Obviously my hope is for snow but so many times it either goes to the North or South,turns into rain or simply fizzles out before it gets here! By the way 'Where's Bill Farkin these days'? Lol

• Like 1

Posted

If snow falls anywhere,the Mod thread is quiet because folk rush to their regionals,mainly because the weather is real and not a possibility say 16 days away,also the short term model thread is being trialled,Knocker is doing sterling work in there,but is acting almost on his own,apologies to anyone  who does post more that I have missed.

Personal opinion only,but if more people with the right knowledge post in there I think the forum will perhaps be retained.,however the world we live in is about instant results so it might help if we use it more,along with other regions of course.In here on the rare occasions it does snow,the vibe in here is special because of the rarity.Lets hope we all see just a tiny bit of snow to restore the faith.

Posted

Bill Farkin is still going,keeping his weather knowledgeable geese under control,yes im also a veteran of BBC Snowwatch lol