Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Lamb shank in the oven nom nom nom ? 

Yes had a leg of lamb in the week, but not a local one, so off to the butchers this week to find me some good ol' Dorset lamb, yumm. 

As to the weather, well same old same old, some clouds looking a little ominous to the north, but then the sun comes out and the clouds disappear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 hour ago, festivalking said:

@khodds and @jethro welcome back to the safety of the regionals. @karlos1983 don't know how you keep going in there!

Personally I find it quite saddening how there are so many more members on here than who actually post. As it's a weather forum it's safe to assume it's the mutual interest that draws them, so why do so few post compared to number of members? In my opinion, the antagonism and often condescension that greets posts in the MOD thread is a huge part of the problem. Was the same in the climate area (but often so, so much worse) there were so many more members with an interest than the few who posted but they were put off entering the fray.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, jethro said:

Personally I find it quite saddening how there are so many more members on here than who actually post. As it's a weather forum it's safe to assume it's the mutual interest that draws them, so why do so few post compared to number of members? In my opinion, the antagonism and often condescension that greets posts in the MOD thread is a huge part of the problem. Was the same in the climate area (but often so, so much worse) there were so many more members with an interest than the few who posted but they were put off entering the fray.

Yeah it's difficult running Internet forums of any type, because they are so open they are pulled apart by diametric views. Attempting to maintain a stable balance such that a thread or at worst the whole forum falls apart because it lacks value is a hard place to be. We have many exemplary folks who know their stuff and can place it within the thread. Unfortunately weather being such a British discussion point, you do get people quite prepared for a personal point of view, which is fine, as long as it is logically sound and backed by data to support it. Then of course you end up with the dreamers and the hopers, who are aware of the forum and drop in once in a blue moon and ask "I heard on the radio it's going to snow, can you tell me when I live in little honkesdun..".

The MAD thread is a bad place to bed (sadly) during the winters best opportunities, but that is because of the internet, not because of the thread/forum.  Personally I review only the last page...ever, and then what 2 days and then review again, because nobody in this world has a proven method "YET" to forecast the British weather beyond 3-4 days out, and of course being away from the MAD thread I know I can gladly be chastised and shot down and still post tomorrow morning to say "EEE by gum, we have air frost..."

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring
5 minutes ago, jethro said:

Think you are absolutely right Jethro. I rarely post, confess I do not have the technical knowledge of others and feel not worthy of mentioning anything if it lacks the incisiveness of say Tamara, Steve M, GP, SINGULARITY ETC (certainly not having a go at them, I enjoy their reads). So I remain a reader who enjoys the weather rather than a contributor. I certainly enjoy the Regionals more, and the SW is one of the more friendly but even here I seldom comment. Still look at netweather several times a day though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I’ve noticed this winter this threads become one of the busier regionals when there isn’t much going on. We all keep coming back which must mean we’re doing something right in here. :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Temp has been steady for most the day around 5c, but the dewpoint has been up and down all day. Currently -2.5c the lowest of the day

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bobd29 said:

Think you are absolutely right Jethro. I rarely post, confess I do not have the technical knowledge of others and feel not worthy of mentioning anything if it lacks the incisiveness of say Tamara, Steve M, GP, SINGULARITY ETC (certainly not having a go at them, I enjoy their reads). So I remain a reader who enjoys the weather rather than a contributor. I certainly enjoy the Regionals more, and the SW is one of the more friendly but even here I seldom comment. Still look at netweather several times a day though.

Oh never be put off posting in here, we chat about anything and everything, clearly doesn't matter if you haven't a clue about models and the weather as I've been getting away with  for years, Join in, whiffle away with the rest of us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

I’ve noticed this winter this threads become one of the busier regionals when there isn’t much going on. We all keep coming back which must mean we’re doing something right in here. :yahoo:

Go on I'll put you on a 1000 likes for that one.

Deffo safer place to hang out here than in the MAD thread.

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Yeah it's difficult running Internet forums of any type, because they are so open they are pulled apart by diametric views. Attempting to maintain a stable balance such that a thread or at worst the whole forum falls apart because it lacks value is a hard place to be. We have many exemplary folks who know their stuff and can place it within the thread. Unfortunately weather being such a British discussion point, you do get people quite prepared for a personal point of view, which is fine, as long as it is logically sound and backed by data to support it. Then of course you end up with the dreamers and the hopers, who are aware of the forum and drop in once in a blue moon and ask "I heard on the radio it's going to snow, can you tell me when I live in little honkesdun..".

The MAD thread is a bad place to bed (sadly) during the winters best opportunities, but that is because of the internet, not because of the thread/forum.  Personally I review only the last page...ever, and then what 2 days and then review again, because nobody in this world has a proven method "YET" to forecast the British weather beyond 3-4 days out, and of course being away from the MAD thread I know I can gladly be chastised and shot down and still post tomorrow morning to say "EEE by gum, we have air frost..."

It's bloody impossible is what it is. I've been on the other side and was a mod here for quite a few years before throwing in the towel. I know they get some stick for deleting and banning etc but trust me, it's definitely the shitty end of the stick trying to do your best for all. All the mods here starting as enthusiastic members, their personal enjoyment and contributions have to take a bit of a back seat when they become a mod so they end up doing a lot of work (all voluntary unpaid) get lots of stick and to an extent, lose out on the very reason they were here in the first place. It's a tough job.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 minute ago, jethro said:

It's bloody impossible is what it is. I've been on the other side and was a mod here for quite a few years before throwing in the towel. I know they get some stick for deleting and banning etc but trust me, it's definitely the shitty end of the stick trying to do your best for all. All the mods here starting as enthusiastic members, their personal enjoyment and contributions have to take a bit of a back seat when they become a mod so they end up doing a lot of work (all voluntary unpaid) get lots of stick and to an extent, lose out on the very reason they were here in the first place. It's a tough job.

absolutely!....it finally ground me down about a year ago....fed up of personal abuse and nothing being done about it and not being able to dish it back......One of the joys of being a normal member now is that I can say what I think now (within reason of course!) and if someone gives me grief or is talking total 'BS' I can give 'em heaps in return without having concerns of overstepping my remit......anyhoos, 'resigning' lifted a weight off my shoulders, made me realise that the 'keyboard warriors' on here and on other forums are just sad planks with far too much time of their hands who need to get a life....lol

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

absolutely!....it finally ground me down about a year ago....fed up of personal abuse and nothing being done about it and not being able to dish it back......One of the joys of being a normal member now is that I can say what I think now (within reason of course!) and if someone gives me grief or is talking total 'BS' I can give 'em heaps in return without having concerns of overstepping my remit......anyhoos, 'resigning' lifted a weight off my shoulders, made me realise that the 'keyboard warriors' on here and on other forums are just sad planks with far too much time of their hands who need to get a life....lol

I forgot you used to be a regional mod.  Do they still exist?

Posted
32 minutes ago, jethro said:

It's why I don't post there.  I posted a few times and a couple of people were downright rude.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I think some do but there’s not as many as there used to be. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
3 minutes ago, Nights King said:

i started as a regional mod in 08, and then forum wide mod in 10......not sure of the regional mods/hosts exists any more, there used to be a staff list on the home page IIRC

Posted

Got another of those black clouds hovering to the north, and hang on.........sorry had to go and check, as I couldn't believe it, it's on the underside "Not this year, bye..."

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Not much talk on the 12z so far... can anyone enlighten me on the latest?  :ninja:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
3 minutes ago, khodds said:

Not much talk on the 12z so far... can anyone enlighten me on the latest?  :ninja:

Not the 12z, but as we regionals are kind and helpful, with this strato warning and vortex breaking up.. I didn’t get what the SSW is? Any enlightenment here by anyone too would be fabby. 

• Like 1

Posted

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IM OUT OF LIKES...... Man down man down......

congratulations @Frosty hollows

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Am I right in saying, this SSW could equally bring mild weather or cold weather dependent on where it falls?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Not the 12z, but as we regionals are kind and helpful, with this strato warning and vortex breaking up.. I didn’t get what the SSW is? Any enlightenment here by anyone too would be fabby. 

I’m not very good at explaining but my thoughts on this are; there’s a huge pool of cold air high up over the pole, the atmosphere there is going to warm up very quickly and displace this cold air so it’s no longer one big mass; this is good for coldies as it enhances our chances of cold weather

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, khodds said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IM OUT OF LIKES...... Man down man down......

congratulations @Frosty hollows

There aren't enough flakes to make a kitten a pair of shorts but it is snow. Am off to let the mods know they were right all along :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ashme said:

Am I right in saying, this SSW could equally bring mild weather or cold weather dependent on where it falls?

That's right.

• Like 1