Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
6 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I believe he said peak! That’s not the end :)

He did indeed but he was very unthusiastic about the whole cold snap. Usually if something is brewing you here weather forecasters say something like "stay tuned significant snow next week" none of that in his forecast. When you here experienced posters over on the mod thread saying "best charts since 2010" it's all a very big letdown.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
2 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

He did indeed but he was very unthusiastic about the whole cold snap. Usually if something is brewing you here weather forecasters say something like "stay tuned significant snow next week" none of that in his forecast. When you here experienced posters over on the mod thread saying "best charts since 2010" it's all a very big letdown.

Completely understand what you mean, but they probably won’t be allowed just yet to ramp it up even if they knew something more significant was on the cards.. the general public go into scare mode and melt down (imagine the MAD thread and multiply it by 1000...) then if it weren’t to verify exactly as they have said, they get bad press.. and egg on their faces. They have to be so careful.

Posted
3 minutes ago, khodds said:

Completely understand what you mean, but they probably won’t be allowed just yet to ramp it up even if they knew something more significant was on the cards.. the general public go into scare mode and melt down (imagine the MAD thread and multiply it by 1000...) then if it weren’t to verify exactly as they have said, they get bad press.. and egg on their faces. They have to be so careful.

I agree with what you are saying about them being careful but I remember TV warnings being issued in the 1980s about significant snow days in advance. I generally feel they are not onboard with any disruptive snow being forecast in the next 7 days.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Richard Fisher said:

I agree with what you are saying about them being careful but I remember TV warnings being issued in the 1980s about significant snow days in advance. I generally feel they are not onboard with any disruptive snow being forecast in the next 7 days.

Fair enough. Sadly we live in an era where we don’t get snow on that scale anymore. I remember a few times in the 90s and possibly early 00s where Points West said it was going to snow and it never happened! That’s why I thought they were more cautious these days..

My boss once made the 20 mile journey home to Bristol, saw Richard Angwins forecast, got back in the car, drove back to Wells and slept at work because it was meant to be bad and we didn’t get a flake (I found this hilarious ?)

Posted
5 minutes ago, khodds said:

Fair enough. Sadly we live in an era where we don’t get snow on that scale anymore. I remember a few times in the 90s and possibly early 00s where Points West said it was going to snow and it never happened! That’s why I thought they were more cautious these days..

My boss once made the 20 mile journey home to Bristol, saw Richard Angwins forecast, got back in the car, drove back to Wells and slept at work because it was meant to be bad and we didn’t get a flake (I found this hilarious ?)

Richard Angwin I remember him, didnt he move abroad?

Posted
Just now, Richard Fisher said:

Richard Angwin I remember him, didnt he move abroad?

Yes. United Arab Emirates or there abouts from what I remember. Used to like him. Ian took over from him - think they are both secret cold rampers 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

See it can be done in a more friendly way. @khodds @Richard Fisher

Show the MAD thread how it's done. :clapping:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I see the BBC weather app has been updated on Android.. I don't use it very often, but it looks pretty good. There's some animations and weather backgrounds now.

Screenshot_2018-02-02-23-43-25.thumb.png.c0cdbec329f5d2c832523347d02166e1.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just found the original photo of Richard that i opened account with saved on an old pc :D

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

See it can be done in a more friendly way. @khodds @Richard Fisher

Show the MAD thread how it's done. :clapping:

We are lovers not fighters :air_kiss:

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nights King said:

Just found the original photo of Richard that i opened account with saved on an old pc :D

YES!!! Haha!! 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nights King said:

Lol the "Trickie Dickie" days remember it well :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Lol the "Trickie Dickie" days remember it well :rofl:

Hopefully the winters of past will return with my change back to old profile pic... :crazy:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Total Pantz right now. It's around 4c, chucking down with rain for most of the night

On Radar, i see reds and purples up over Dartmoor, maybe they got a surprise up there, surely colder than lower down

Still, interesting times ahead, and this front today is stalling !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Had a quick peek in the Mad thread trying to get up to speed. Anyhows, all I can tell is it seems Tuesday could be back on again. (Obv not for our region! ... ) and the only post which made sense (to me) across five pages was dear Steve Murrs. (Have posted a screen grab as can’t seem to provide a link to his post) 

AAB2BF65-B5BE-4F20-A333-31271BB710ED.png

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
24 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Well you'll all be pleased to know it is not snowing north of the M4. Cold rain as predicted

Yes we are :p 

:rofl:

Posted

just looked at models, and to my eye they looks better this morning next week. Going to venture in to the mad thread now, see what the word in the street is

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

I wouldn't they're the phrase "mild sector" and "oh dear" is already being used?? jerk reactions already coming out , hilarious!!

Posted

2.7C and cold rain here this morn but then wasn't expecting much more to be honest after a glorious day yesterday!

Posted

So where we are now is basically a slightly watered down version of yesterday morning. Which is usually the case and actually we would have taken that yesterday evening. The 12z yesterday didn’t do that, they almost hit disasterous levels straight after 2-3 days or nirvana runs, so it was a bit of a shock to tell you the truth. And the Mad thread responded accordingly and true to form. We are in a position for upgrades now, and of course possible more watering down, but it really would go against the background signals if this cold spell were to disappear. I don’t buy how quickly these fronts are shown to pass through the UK. We will see. I’m certainly going to take a more laid back approach now. What will be will be. 

Ps it’s bloody miserable out! Another Saturday ruined. ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

Well you'll all be pleased to know it is not snowing north of the M4. Cold rain as predicted

And rain south of the M4 too..