Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
3 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

It hasn’t actually been that bad here, a couple hours of heavy rain, apart from that it’s been drizzly or light rain! We’re just on the edge of it looking at the radar throughout today.

You’ve been lucky. We literally swam to the pub and back earlier. 

Posted

Missed most of the heaviest rain down here. Started sleety at around 8am here, before changing over the complete rain from 9am.

Temperature rising quite quickly right now

T: 9.5c      Todays rain: 7.8mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
Just now, khodds said:

You’ve been lucky. We literally swam to the pub and back earlier. 

The weather station in cheddar which is low down and sheltered by hills received 36mm i dread to think what top recorded...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
42 minutes ago, khodds said:

I’m surprised more people aren’t commenting about the amount of rain. It’s crazy out there!

It is, lots of flooding on  the roads around town, got traffic waiting so they can drive down the centre of the road to avoid the floods. 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, philglossop said:

And more to come overnight.... jese. 

This winter is turning into a wet fest. Not a sniff of snow as per down here. Nearly 24 years since we had a decent snowfall here.

At least the ground will be easier to dig ............. next weekend (gardening). Perhaps. The ground is absolutely saturated.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nights King said:

The weather station in cheddar which is low down and sheltered by hills received 36mm i dread to think what top recorded...

Crikey! That’s crazy. More to come this week too. Yuck. Can’t stand it!!

Posted

Anybody wanna borrow a boat, it floats well in the bath so I think it's OK..

Radar suggests a clearing now as the rain moves east, for here we still have more to fall..

Posted

Reports of houses flooding in wells on the community noticeboard.. houses are high up so it must be run off from the hills

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

My wife and I are regular US storms chasers, we love it, but again the weather doesn't play ball, we've had more down spells than actual chases. As for Iceland and Norway, yet to get there but it's on the tuit list..

Storm chasing is on my to do list, but until finances are a little better, I'll probably settle for storm chasing around the South west this Spring/Summer. Something  I've not done before, but now I have a dash cam I think I'll give it a try this year.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Just read on FB to avoid cheddar gorge.. rocks and water pouring down apparently 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
26 minutes ago, Smartie said:

It is, lots of flooding on  the roads around town, got traffic waiting so they can drive down the centre of the road to avoid the floods. 

just shy of 40mm today, yesterday and today have been particularly grizzly.

Something drier tomorrow, so will be able to take the dog out for a extra long walk.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

10.2mm here today so a fair bit lower than some have had. Still sodden everywhere though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Week ahead forecast made me laugh! He said "It won't be anywhere near as cold as this weekend"  I'm expecting 16 and 17°C this week then? As it has managed 11°C+ on both days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

24mm here, second wettest of the winter season and would've been in the top five wettest days of last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
39 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Week ahead forecast made me laugh! He said "It won't be anywhere near as cold as this weekend"  I'm expecting 16 and 17°C this week then? As it has managed 11°C+ on both days.

Reached double figures a couple of times during this ‘colder’ spell this week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

Storm chasing is on my to do list, but until finances are a little better, I'll probably settle for storm chasing around the South west this Spring/Summer. Something  I've not done before, but now I have a dash cam I think I'll give it a try this year.

Yes I got a dash cam for this winter hoping I’d have some great footage of snow. :nonono:

my dream is to go storm chasing in the US, when the kids have grown up, I’m doing it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
2 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

Holy schmoley not looking good up there.

There’s a few serious warning in there too, and all that is before the rain has time to filter off the land, hills, etc into the watercourses. Not looking good. 

Posted

Ps anyone notice the wind has picked up a bit? I’ll check the radar, could be front?  Home today in Chichester and it did just pour all day with rain 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Ps anyone notice the wind has picked up a bit? I’ll check the radar, could be front?  Home today in Chichester and it did just pour all day with rain 

Yep it's picked up a bit here since earlier this evening. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Driving on the motorway this lunchtime, conditions and visibility very poor, and I couldn’t get over how may drove without lights on. The majority did to be fair, but why not put lights on? Very odd. 

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

We seem to have got off fairly lightly here, only 9.1mm when the rain stopped earlier this evening and only 1.6mm to 09.00 this morning from the previous 24 hours.  Think that there may be a bit more to come overnight though.