Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Light snow here. Just enough to whiten the ground from about 270m upwards.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi guys...

Back after a weeks break in the sunshine... (well it should have been!). I went to Morocco and it was at the end of a northerly blast which brought extensive snow to only slight hills and temps freezing at night, and rising to about 8C during the day at the start and of about 14 - 16C towards the end of the week. More snow forecast for this weekend as the current northerly reaches them!! Also we had snow in the desert about 200 miles SOUTH of us. The locals said the weather was very unusual, Still it was dry where we were and the golf was great.

See reports of snow from the North Midlands (above) this morning, although very light.

We  have very light rain here with perhaps some 'splodge' mixed in.

BBC forecast (just watched) has us  down for a bit of light rain and sleet this morning. (snow on hills), with a developing East wind later on.

My temp is currently 1.7C after a minimum of 1.0C earlier on, dew point was 0.0 but is now 0.3C.

Good luck guys, we need a pick uplift in precipitation to get lucky today....

:cold::pardon:

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

1.5cm of snow at 290 m and 2.5cm at 340 m. Continuous light snow falling. Temp' is 0.2c.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
13 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

1.5cm of snow at 290 m and 2.5cm at 340 m. Continuous light snow falling. Temp' is 0.2c.

Just a thin covering here with snow grains I can see your snow cover to my S/E.

Temp 0.4c

Dew -0.3c

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Snow falling nicely now but melting on impact. Looks very grim on the tops though with the added murk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Light sleet mixed in with rain here (Burbage/Hinckley area) picked up just now 

Posted

Snow grains have turned to light snow now here.

Posted

ECM continues to inch Tuesday's frost eastward towards the Midlands. GFS continues to inch Tuesday's front westward, with it slowing down over the Midlands and the mild sector mixing out more quickly. Could be good our region as the models slowly move towards a middle ground. Weirdly, the GFS has gone from settling snow only for the east of the region to settling snow only for the west of the region but I wouldn't pay much attention to that at present. 

Before that, cold with a few flurries into the Midlands (East Midlands mostly) on Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

ECM continues to inch Tuesday's frost eastward towards the Midlands. GFS continues to inch Tuesday's front westward, with it slowing down over the Midlands and the mild sector mixing out more quickly. Could be good our region as the models slowly move towards a middle ground. Weirdly, the GFS has gone from settling snow only for the east of the region to settling snow only for the west of the region but I wouldn't pay much attention to that at present. 

Before that, cold with a few flurries into the Midlands (East Midlands mostly) on Monday.

Tuesday's front is further west come (7am Tuesday) if the ARPEGE 0.1 has anything to do with it.....But who's to say... (In 72hrs it may not be there at all)

arpegeuk-1-72-0_mnl8.png  06Z     arpegeuk-1-78-0_mle6.png   0Z

Currently here in Solihull it's 2.8c and light rain :nonono:

Posted

Cold cold upper's over our region come Tuesday....I really don't think temps will get petty much above 0c :cold:

ECU0-72_dgh7.GIF

Posted
2 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Gut feeling is that front wont reach the Midlands on Tuesday. Hope I'm wrong!

I think I'm with you on that one, a decaying frontal system being eroded by high pressure giving very light and patchy precipitation that'll die out.... IF IT GETS TO US THAT IS .

Posted

Well the first of the Met Office warnings are out for Tuesday. They don't cover our region at present but I wouldn't be surprised to see them extended further south and east.

Some well scattered wintry showers pushing far west on Sunday and Monday too. Could surprise some.

ABCC12B7-A8D4-4FD1-8E8B-F4F10A1E7FBA.jpeg

Posted
2 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Thats a huge jump west on the arpege for tuesday!!further west the better for thursdays snow maybe with a smaller mild sector!!

Posted
21 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Well the first of the Met Office warnings are out for Tuesday. They don't cover our region at present but I wouldn't be surprised to see them extended further south and east.

Some well scattered wintry showers pushing far west on Sunday and Monday too. Could surprise some.

ABCC12B7-A8D4-4FD1-8E8B-F4F10A1E7FBA.jpeg

It states "gradually weakening across England and Wales" and you mentioned "I wouldn't be surprised to see them extended further south and east"

I'm more if it's regarding this incoming front for Tuesday we won't get any Warning at all......It just wont get to our region to get one :nonono:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

BUT MORE ENCOURAGING FROM THE MET OFFICE

UK Outlook for THE SECOND HALF OF FEBRUARY

Through the rest of February it will remain cold but the weather may be more settled with widespread frost and fog overnight.

This looks set to last for a while with a greater chance of easterly winds, potentially bringing some very cold weather.

Posted

So some reports of snow for our region this morning..

Stopped the snizzle here now and the temp has risen to 4.3C max, but is now falling again and looking dull again.

MIA

Posted

Got to 4.1c...Currently at 3.9c and drizzle still

One of them days when staying in is the best bet :hi:

Posted
1 hour ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Got to 4.1c...Currently at 3.9c and drizzle still

One of them days when staying in is the best bet :hi:

DWW..

Yep totally agree...

I am watching the Wales vs Scotland Rugby,,

I have noticed the start of the change now...

The breeze and clouds have now switched from SW to NE. The drizzle continues and the temp has started to fall again.

I reached a max of 4.5C in a bright spell, but it is  now down to 3.8C and falling again and the drizzle still continues.

We need the low developing and moving to the south to deepen..

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

In the short to medium term 2m temps looking COLD :cold:

graphe_ens4_cgt7.gif

Posted
2 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

DWW..

Yep totally agree...

I am watching the Wales vs Scotland Rugby,,

I have noticed the start of the change now...

The breeze and clouds have now switched from SW to NE. The drizzle continues and the temp has started to fall again.

I reached a max of 4.5C in a bright spell, but it is  now down to 3.8C and falling again and the drizzle still continues.

We need the low developing and moving to the south to deepen..

MIA

Further reductions in the temperature as the dew point also falls  (2.8C and 1.3C) as the rain gets a little heavier.

Just seen the end of the Leicester football game on TV and it was pouring with rain/sleet there. I wonder if that is starting to move back westwards again. Certainly the low level clouds are moving from the East. 

If it continues it may well change to sleet here before it dies out. (a bit of extra height maybe necessary)

MIA 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

No activity in this thread:cc_confused:, I think we had our turn early during the season. It might be that after this cold albeit dry spell, there might be a reload and we might get some snow :cold: