Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

Wow wot a day. 10cm here in Nuneaton. Just drove down the country lanes through bedworth bulkington and wolvey and there are drifts up to 4ft in places. Roads just fade into ditches and some tiny roads look impossible with the drifts spreading into the middle of the roads. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone with a macro lens needs to go and photograph the amazing snowflakes falling right now. This is the best i can do

So, both hi res models over which whose territory this system is evolving - Hirlam and Arpege (both I would have a lot of respect for) - have very decent accumulations forecast by Friday morning from

Posted Images

1 minute ago, bearing said:

It's breaking up over here now, seems to be travelling up to the east of us now.

Standard. Got a fresh dusting. That's the best we could hope for from this cold spell.

Just about stopped here. Only 4cm of new snow on car roofs, but doubtless more fell and got blown away. Tomorrow doesn't look that inspiring, so I think tonight probably marked the true end of this spell for me. The most notable thing is how cold it's been. My maxes for the last five days:

Mon: 1.5 °C | Tue 1.2 °C | Wed -0.5 °C | Thu -2.7 °C | Fri -0.2 °C

Getting three successive ice days in Bewdley at this time of year is absolutely amazing. Minima weren't anything too startling owing to cloud and wind: -6.6 °C was as low as it got -- but those maxima were truly exceptional.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Very poor but at least the partial dusting tonight was more than I expected the way this week had gone. Don't understand why all this week, fronts and showers have weakened rapidly when approaching here but maintain strength elsewhere. 

AACE755B-9AE6-4889-B351-90E542ECFDFF.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke

Other than a few lights grains around 8pm in Newcastle Under Lyme there has been absolutely bugger all around the North of Stoke again lol.

Seriously what is it about Stoke on Trent, it seems to miss us every time and other than about 3inches around 2013, the last heavy Snow we had was around 1995. 

Is it a case we are just too sheltered with the Welsh Mountains to the West, Pennines to the North and too far inland from the East. 

Another very difficult evening at work on the Metro, but we managed to keep the trams running. Been standing out in the snow for an hour and a half manually having to move the points as they had stopped working.

Despite the horrific delays, a great spirit from the passengers, think they were just grateful we had trams running for them.

What a couple of days it has been. It's taken us a while to join in the fun this week but we got there in the end. We will be remembering this week for many winters to come.

1 minute ago, Andypvfc said:

Other than a few lights grains around 8pm in Newcastle Under Lyme there has been absolutely bugger all around the North of Stoke again lol.

Seriously what is it about Stoke on Trent, it seems to miss us every time and other than about 3inches around 2013, the last heavy Snow we had was around 1995. 

Is it a case we are just too sheltered with the Welsh Mountains to the West, Pennines to the North and too far inland from the East. 

Nothing to stop snow from the south but it still dies out just a few miles away every time. *Shrugs*.

This winter for the midlands it will defo be known as the winter of frontal snowfalls!!we have got so lucky this year!!!definitely one of the best winters for me here in recent times!!!feel a little emotional that it has to come to an end lol!!

2 minutes ago, shaky said:

This winter for the midlands it will defo be known as the winter of frontal snowfalls!!we have got so lucky this year!!!definitely one of the best winters for me here in recent times!!!feel a little emotional that it has to come to an end lol!!

I keep forgetting it's March tbh. Feels like late Jan or early Feb. Going to be sad when this snow has melted!

23 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Nothing to stop snow from the south but it still dies out just a few miles away every time. *Shrugs*.

Yeah I forgot about too far North when it comes from the South lol. That's it's I'm going move to the ruddy Artic or somewhere. Lol

The only real exceptional thing this week, has been how long the wind has been this strong since Thursday night. Normally even in Storms of 70mile an hour Gusts it will last a few hours but it's still blowing a Gale out there.

Edited by Andypvfc

Been out in the snow for the last hour making the most of it, some of the drifts here are incredible, chest high, and I am 6ft, I shall upload them tomorrow.

general depth, maybe 10cm? Regular drifts of 1ft, some drifts 4ft+.

Whilst no huge total accumulations, the cold spell has made up for the disappointing beginning today and yesterday evening.

Last1 from me tonight folks.  Just went out for a fag and my word it's cold still very lite snow coming down here. If the models are on the rite track then u never know we could see some mor snow next weekend too.

Edited by syed2878