Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather
31 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

The BBC said 20cm or more on hills later today. You think it's posible?

Entirely possible Shaun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
13 minutes ago, BhamBoy said:

Waist high drifts in Harborne! Only going to work to see the snow ?

597FBF22-84EF-4DC6-A306-69EB5F442FB0.jpeg

19F2AC71-5F29-4F9F-8F25-AADDFB94CA4B.jpeg

2B5B722E-8700-4686-8C7F-4A4D2F4A4968.jpeg

Blimey, where exactly is that? I'm in Selly and the drifts aren't quite like that. I fancy a trek now.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

This is the situation down my road. There are some much deeper drifts (~1 metre) but they're few and far between.

28640747_742039049300180_1777806967_o.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Would not be surprised if this afternoon and evening snow event is worse than yesterday's, it had better get a move on up though, as the temperature is on the up, so whatever on the ground will soon turn into slush and nothing will settle, but will freeze later this evening making some roads and pavements like an ice rink.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

What a joke.

5DC076BE-F95D-4594-9A9C-C6BB845DE1C8.jpeg

Sucks doesn't it! the conditions last night were quite cool with strong winds and fine snow blowing everywhere, but no more than a half centimetre accumulation before 10pm, and none after as it looked indentical this morning to before I went to bed.

Here is hoping todays event is better. I feel like we deserve it after 4 days of disappointment snow wise. I have still really enjoyed the siberian like conditions this week, but it's a bit gut wrenching seeing the majority of the country do so much better snow wise. Fingers crossed for later :)

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Looks like more coming in later. I presume it is the mass of precip to our West that moves back East? 

Hi all no more snow overnight warmer this morning too -1.

Yes I am interested to know from where this afternoons/evening potential is going to come from as everything is rapidly moving west!!!

Can anyone do a diagram with arrows to show?????

Thanks you

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, #windysnow# said:

Hi all no more snow overnight warmer this morning too -1.

Yes I am interested to know from where this afternoons/evening potential is going to come from as everything is rapidly moving west!!!

Can anyone do a diagram with arrows to show?????

Thanks you

I am pretty sure it is the mass of precip out to our west that moves back East. The forecast I saw yesterday seemed to show this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!
4 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

I am pretty sure it is the mass of precip out to our west that moves back East. The forecast I saw yesterday seemed to show this.

I think it will be heading up from the south and developing as it does.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Thanks The Wolf

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Blimey, where exactly is that? I'm in Selly and the drifts aren't quite like that. I fancy a trek now.

It’s in Harborne near lordswood road if you went down any side streets you’d probably see similar!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Just been outside and there is still the odd small flake flying about.

Nice snow cover, big variations though not as big as some of the pics on here, there are no bare patches. Varies from about 3 to 15+cm, there may be bigger drifts in the fields though. I'd say 8cm as an average.

I see my old stomping ground in South Wales did well, happy for them, we did get our 20cm+ back in December after all.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter

Hope we get a surprise tonight and finally the likes of Hinckley and Leicester get their fair share

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

The satellite image gives a good idea of the movement of the next "potential" snowfall, as it does look like it is moving in a northerly direction. If anyone is interested, this is the website :-https://en.sat24.com/en/gb

Posted
28 minutes ago, kmanmx said:

Sucks doesn't it! the conditions last night were quite cool with strong winds and fine snow blowing everywhere, but no more than a half centimetre accumulation before 10pm, and none after as it looked indentical this morning to before I went to bed.

Here is hoping todays event is better. I feel like we deserve it after 4 days of disappointment snow wise. I have still really enjoyed the siberian like conditions this week, but it's a bit gut wrenching seeing the majority of the country do so much better snow wise. Fingers crossed for later :)

There was more snow on the ground last night than there is this morning. Wind must have stripped the snow off the ground.

Not feeling too hopeful for areas this far north today but we'll see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Just in Solihull and travelled from Stoke this morning. Impressive blowing from fields on M6, more snow down here though but it doesn't feel as powdery underfoot as up north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Initial measurements from my back garden in Wythall (5 miles south of Brum),

Level snow (measured on bin sheltered from wind) - 12 cms

Drifts 25 - 50cms

The 40-50cm drifts at the bottom of the garden are particularly impressive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
5 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

How come it's warming up outside?

Deep cold slowly mixing out over next 24 hours, up to -2.6c here though dew points much lower. Back above zero tomorrow.

Posted
1 minute ago, The Wolf said:

Will be a pretty rapid melt of snow over the weekend by the looks of it.

Yep although Saturday still 0c  Sunday around 3c 

Posted

I love reading the forums BUT I get hope for a dump of snow as others have, I am left feeling very envious of others wins.  Leics has failed again.  we had snow, the grass is covered, but not the depths of others.

I went for a lovely walk last night, Glad I Did as the weather was superb, blowing snow in the icy wind,  drifts, fabulous!  Roads for a time were covered too.

we can hope for more today but I do think being so central is our downfall for many reasons.  We live in hope for any snow event because there is always a chance !!  

:yahoo: