Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

That eastward extension of the heavier ppn towards Brighton is really impressive, and bodes well for later on this evening. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Still not a lot falling here, the wind and ice will be the main danger at the moment. Temp -2.9C.

Posted

Hi. My first post here. Keen weather watcher (but no expert) for many years. Only just found this forum. Was hoping for a decent dumping of snow here in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire.

As of 1610 getting very windy here. Work in a three story building and have never heard the wind this noisy here before. Very fine snow, but nothing much to write home about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
2 minutes ago, gig1968 said:

Looking good some forecasters may have egg on their faces after today. Shame l

This happens every big snow event. I still think the heavy stuff will be out west but there seems to be a shift east. Lets face it the forecast has been wrong the last few days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Glacier Point said:

That eastward extension of the heavier ppn towards Brighton is really impressive, and bodes well for later on this evening. 

Yeah thinking the same, I’m quite confident now that Birmingham could be right in the thick of it later on unless it suddenly turns north west but would have to be a dramatic change I’d say

Posted

Blizzard on the Moor.  These guys were unreal, I got out of the car and lasted less than 30 sec with no gloves and only jeans, God only knows where they were going in that

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
1 minute ago, snowqueen1979 said:

Agree with the above roads are dreadful. Pavements slippy. Have things upgraded for us then ? 

Yeah they have big time :D, the precipitation is far more east than first though, that will help more of us get the heavier stuff and even if it starts to move westwards, we should still catch some heavy snow later :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, RobR said:

This happens every big snow event. I still think the heavy stuff will be out west but there seems to be a shift east. Lets face it the forecast has been wrong the last few days.

not much will lie though in this wind, still likely bare surfaces somewhere, 10cms few metres away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, snowqueen1979 said:

Agree with the above roads are dreadful. Pavements slippy. Have things upgraded for us then ? 

No idea, but snowfall wise not what i would call severe, but it's best just to watch the radar, and the obvious one, looking out the window, for some nowcasting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

Yesterday's Euro4 and Arome have already bust with their projected snow amounts for here. And we have another 5-7 hrs to go.....

... plus something to chase tomorrow...

Edited by Glacier Point
  • Like 2

Posted

So any indications yet as to how far north this system may reach before heading off west ?

feeling north Nottinghamshire may be just too far north 

Posted

Snowing steadily since midday, lots of blowing around, building up steadily, typically 5-6cm level but small drifts in places.

The temperature is really impressive- not been above -2, and not only could it be the coldest March day for decades it could end up colder than any February day since 1996!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Been at home all day due to them closing the Day Centre in Penkridge. They've had more snow than i have here. Very light snow on and off throughout the day, has only just started to cover the pavements again. Very windy, lost a fence panel. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

This was up at Fridon A 515 around lunchtime, Completetly impassable now with drifts 6/7 foot high in places.

20180301_090617.thumb.jpg.25a24ebc732807ec4e4f95e99b51ace2.jpg20180301_090737.thumb.jpg.2cd7d624450ca4a1756d719a6cd95886.jpg20180301_090659.thumb.jpg.27a16ef990814987ed297a3d8c0565bf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
14 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Hi. My first post here. Keen weather watcher (but no expert) for many years. Only just found this forum. Was hoping for a decent dumping of snow here in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire.

As of 1610 getting very windy here. Work in a three story building and have never heard the wind this noisy here before. Very fine snow, but nothing much to write home about.

Hello! :) Not as windy down here in north Worcestershire, but very similar in snow terms. It's been going most of the day, but so fine that it just blows away. We don't even have a complete covering on the grass after hours and hours of snowfall. Going to be interesting to see whether the snow to the south holds on long enough to give me something more, as I have a nasty feeling it will be breaking up by the time it gets here. We'll see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Got home from work to find my fence has blown down and howling wind. Not sure weather I’ll be up all night again cuz of the wind or weather it will be cuz of snow! Hoping for the latter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
14 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Yeah thinking the same, I’m quite confident now that Birmingham could be right in the thick of it later on unless it suddenly turns north west but would have to be a dramatic change I’d say

Agreed, looking south :smile: some nice echoes on the radar.....:D

Screenshot_2018-03-01-16-26-30.thumb.png.e4f984ef426a128dff49f39877b53450.png