Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
10 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Okay am I wrong or that snow towards London heading this way a bit???

Pray it holds its intensity ><

Screenshot_2018-02-28-21-24-44.png

It deffinately is I use the same radar as you rain alarm lol it's awesome isn't it?

Yea it's moving north east.  Slow moving but intensifying and getting it's act together now about 30 miles from Oxford 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, nobble said:

Is it accumulating much ?

Full cover I would say roughly 3cm, bare in mind the sun melted everything earlier from today and we are in this narrow stream for the next hour it would seem. 

Posted

There must be at least 6 inches of lying snow in Grantham, which is drifting in th3 strong wind.  Showers seem to develop along the stream before they get to us and follow the a52 westwards.  Typical, as we hav3 been under an amber warning all day , with not much happening, it ends and throws it down.  Great

Posted
1 minute ago, scotto said:

There must be at least 6 inches of lying snow in Grantham, which is drifting in th3 strong wind.  Showers seem to develop along the stream before they get to us and follow the a52 westwards.  Typical, as we hav3 been under an amber warning all day , with not much happening, it ends and throws it down.  Great

I live on the A52 in Stoke, I hope you're right:rofl:

Posted

GFS is further east. Still misses here.

Tonight's showers are missing here.

Today's showers melted here.

Great event so far!

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I think tbh your just a little too far north for tomorrow, it’s borderline here I think too but will see

Posted
3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Gfs further east again 

Wow it had it clipping leicester on 12z but now it must go over leicester comfortably!!when does hirlam and arpege come out!!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

I think tbh your just a little too far north for tomorrow, it’s borderline here I think too but will see

Nice change from being too far west all week.

Edit: Apart from when the sun is too strong and melts the snow despite it being minus 5 trillion degrees.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

GFS further east but not north, S of region pasting

prectypeuktopo.png

Yes please I'll take that one !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

GFS further east but not north, S of region pasting

prectypeuktopo.png

Hereford's the place, I think. If I had to guess at one spot in the Midlands to receive a pasting, that would be it.

As for IMBY, it's going to be nailbiting stuff up to about T+0.000001!

Posted
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Wow it had it clipping leicester on 12z but now it must go over leicester comfortably!!when does hirlam and arpege come out!!

Just now, VeryCold said:

Yes please I'll take that one !

Hirlam and arpege around now. Yes and me I'll take it. But I think the gfs is still underplaying it. It's moved quite a bit on its last few runs  awaiting hirlam 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Nice change from being too far west all week.

Edit: Apart from when the sun is too strong and melts the snow despite it being minus 5 trillion degrees.

time of year thaws it

Posted
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Great event so far!

Why so negative Matt? I told you a few days ago that we don't do great from Easterlies. As it is, yes some of the snow melted today, but any out of the sun didn't & the late afternoon showers covered everywhere. It was always going to be that way at this time of year. Dry snow & wind means that areas will always be blown clear of snow & what little remains gets melted whatever the time of year as even a weak sun warms the ground a little.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
10 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Great event so far!

Stoke, Staffordshire and the North Midlands in general, NEVER does well from an easterly - certainly not 'everywhere else seems to'.

This line of showers, is stuck about as 50% in the middle of your house and my house as possible. 

It's literally within touching distance of me, but just won't build south or drop south enough and so again, somewhere 5 miles away is going to get a couple of inches from being under that, whilst it's cold and dry here. Snow cover will be gone by 8am when the sun is up.

Frustrating doesn't even cut tomorrow's event at all. It's going to stall 10-20 miles south and west of us, more like 30-40 for you. 

Edited by PolarWarsaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

It seems that anyone from north and east of warwick will get light dusting tomorrow. Our best chance is friday, considering the current episode of the 'snow shield' shouldn't expect much. Otherwise will be seriously disappointed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
Just now, weirpig said:

Hirlam and arpege around now. Yes and me I'll take it. But I think the gfs is still underplaying it. It's moved quite a bit on its last few runs  awaiting hirlam 

I actually think looking at it all we might actually get a battering from it. I’m thinking just north of brum might be the edge though

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

time of year thaws it

I blame the ? 

Posted
1 minute ago, PolarWarsaw said:

This line of showers, is stuck about as 50% in the middle of your house and my house as possible. 

It's literally within touching distance of me, but just won't build south or drop south enough and so again, somewhere 5 miles away is going to get a couple of inches from being under that, whilst it's cold and dry here. Snow cover will be gone by 8am when the sun is up.

Frustrating doesn't even cut tomorrow's event at all. It's going to stall 10-20 miles south and west of us, more like 30-40 for you. 

That just about sums it up, it will be so frustratingly close, but no cigar, not even a drag of it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Staffordshire said:

That just about sums it up, it will be so frustratingly close, but no cigar, not even a drag of it.

At this point, I'd rather it was stranded in Scotland - I'd much sooner it be completely off the table than so agonisingly close that it's just a frustration.

Posted
1 minute ago, markw2680 said:

I actually think looking at it all we might actually get a battering from it. I’m thinking just north of brum might be the edge though

I think it's good aswell. Even a covering would be great   I'm just glad we got December in the bag