Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather
1 minute ago, snowhope said:

@Glacier Point What are you thinking for Worcestershire (i am in Upton upon Severn, fairly near you I think) over the next few days GP? Looking at the Met and BBC latest forecasts we seem to be on the Eastern Edge of the precipitation with the heavy stuff missing us and going into wales and staying in the South West. Where would you anticipate to get hit the heaviest?

I'm looking forward to driving up to Bredon  (if I can) on Friday, but on the basis of what I'm seeing so far, I would go 8-10cms for our lowland locations, 10-20cms for more elevated. I was struck how well Hirlam, Arpege and EC performed during December's snow events. These three models would form the basis of current thinking for Thursday into Saturday.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

I'm looking forward to driving up to Bredon  (if I can) on Friday, but on the basis of what I'm seeing so far, I would go 8-10cms for our lowland locations, 10-20cms for more elevated. I was struck how well Hirlam, Arpege and EC performed during December's snow events. These three models would form the basis of current thinking for Thursday into Saturday.

For the first time in a long time I wish I still lived in Abergavenny!

I would be happy with that to! Working in Tewkesbury I am hoping its enough for a snow day :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Had a mini blizzard an hour ago, winds picked up to make visibility shocking, combined with blowing snow was quite unique. Gave a good dumping too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
3 minutes ago, Cov87 said:

Deffo north movement on the gfs look at the dark pink colours getting into the midlands

IMG_20180228_164220.jpg

That has to be one of most depressing charts in history from IMBY perspective - clear space in the middle is right where Nottingham is, the snow shield is in full effect there! :wallbash::sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Had a high of -2.6C here today. Can't remember the last time it stayed that low. Maybe Dec 2010.

Very impressed with the snow showers penetrating well inland and giving us a decent covering.

All eyes on the low to the SW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well I’m enjoying this mini blizzard and drifting,as I live on a hill and house faces north the wind is just howling up here. The road gets covered then the wind just blows it all off and into the curb 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Goodness, a blizzard here right now, currently -3.0'C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
7 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Hey GP, hope you are okay. 

Do we have any PPN breakdowns of Friday + Saturday instead of accumulation charts or any seperate accumulation charts from Friday lunchtime onwards, just to get an idea of what they look like after tomorrow's event in the SW/SW Midlands?

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
1 minute ago, shaky said:

Snow showers pushing in from the wash again!!

Indeed going to interesting again in about an hour I think. And no sun which is great

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Yes GFS is further north and east... still, nothing like to the same extent as ARPEGE and HIRLAM, both of which are also 6 to 9 hours ahead of GFS in terms of where the precipitation is at X time. Very odd to see such huge discrpencies at a 24 hour timescale. EURO4 is going to be very interesting.

Though, GFS basically has no capability in tracking the smaller showers and bands of rain. I mean, compare below.

GFS for 6pm today:

3bzPsCm.png

Actual radar:

ukMfY8z.png

It gets the large bulk of PPN around north England and Scotland, but fails miserably everywhere else.

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Quick video of what it was like here in that heavy snow shower. Visibility was worse for a human than it is for the camera, so this understates what it was like out there. It's a while since I've experienced anything like this!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
1 minute ago, Matthew Gill said:

Wind changing again slightly northeastaly?

Yes, I think slightly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

EURO 4 will be crucial in keeping our hopes alive...Positive Thinking:)

Posted
7 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Quick video of what it was like here in that heavy snow shower. Visibility was worse for a human than it is for the camera, so this understates what it was like out there. It's a while since I've experienced anything like this!

This was my walk home from school/work earlier. As you suggest the camera seems to lessen the actual scenario  

IMG_0292.JPG

• Like 1