Jump to content

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone with a macro lens needs to go and photograph the amazing snowflakes falling right now. This is the best i can do

So, both hi res models over which whose territory this system is evolving - Hirlam and Arpege (both I would have a lot of respect for) - have very decent accumulations forecast by Friday morning from

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes, beasts tame compared to good old days, this reminds me of this 1 day beast, mini blizzards through the day, but short patchy dustings at best

archives-2013-3-11-12-0.png

We did pretty well in March 2013 and really well in 2010. I try not to get taken in by hyperbole as seen way to many let downs. I don’t recall ever having a snow day from work (how tragic is that! :)) and in 1991 I was in my last year at school so probably did have a day or two off if I recall... 

This Friday had all the ingredients of either being amazing and going down in history or of being a complete let down, only time will tell I guess 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

this chart should be amazing!! what the heck do we have to do to get a decent snowfall??

30 years ago, we'd have had a foot by now!! ><

gfs.png

Yep all we gets a couple of poxy showers??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

I don’t recall ever having a snow day from work (how tragic is that! :)) and in 1991 I was in my last year at school so probably did have a day or two off if I recall...

I never had a snow day when at school.  But that was back in 79 and 81/82.  These days, most kids get several snow days every year.  Thats how it's changed .....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

We did pretty well in March 2013 and really well in 2010. I try not to get taken in by hyperbole as seen way to many let downs. I don’t recall ever having a snow day from work (how tragic is that! :)) and in 1991 I was in my last year at school so probably did have a day or two off if I recall... 

This Friday had all the ingredients of either being amazing and going down in history or of being a complete let down, only time will tell I guess 

did very well from 22-24th, but not really on the 11th, same as today

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snowstorm27x said:

Met says heavy snow shower coming at 11pm we will see. Nice covering on ground be nice for a a few cms top up. Alot of showers coming down through the wash and our North will they make it.

Maybe  it could be this. Chris Fawkes said he expects it South Yorkshire area. I've had my ruler out and I think Midlands. 

IMG_1300.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snowstorm27x said:

Met says heavy snow shower coming at 11pm we will see. Nice covering on ground be nice for a a few cms top up. Alot of showers coming down through the wash and our North will they make it.

Hopefully when the winds change to more of an easterly, we should have a better chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Maybe  it could be this. Chris Fawkes said he expects it South Yorkshire area. I've had my ruler out and I think Midlands. 

IMG_1300.JPG

Well hopefully after Tuesday's low was further north, this actually ends up further south and into the Midlands.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Maybe  it could be this. Chris Fawkes said he expects it South Yorkshire area. I've had my ruler out and I think Midlands. 

IMG_1300.JPG

By the way Weirpig, is that based on an easterly wind or more north easterly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AppleUK 123 said:

By the way Weirpig, is that based on an easterly wind or more north easterly?

I just think it's heading around the wash area. The winds should later start to trend more easterly. Somewhere in this vast snowless region should get something . He says :) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Currently - 4.0C here :cold:

temp_uk_hyp0.png

My recording station says  -4.5C   with a DP of  -7.3C...

I am supposed to be out concreting in the morning.

Think I will give  it a miss!!

Where is the MO getting these showers from for tonight.

It does look like a Wash streamer is setting up. but?

MIA

Edit - Just seen the above posts,,, looks interesting but we need the ENE to hit us.

We might get lucky this time!

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I just think it's heading around the wash area. The winds should later start to trend more easterly. Somewhere in this vast snowless region should get something . He says :) 

Unfortunately the winds start to turn more ESE through the night and into tomorrow, which is why the attention is focused on NE England and Eastern Scotland as this flow favours them....I'd wager that's where virtually all of that convection will be heading, leaving us with flurries tomorrow....(hopefully I'm wrong) - but I wouldn't be pinning any hopes on this saving us to be honest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Unfortunately the winds start to turn more ESE through the night and into tomorrow, which is why the attention is focused on NE England and Eastern Scotland as this flow favours them....I'd wager that's where virtually all of that convection will be heading, leaving us with flurries tomorrow....(hopefully I'm wrong) - but I wouldn't be pinning any hopes on this saving us to be honest.

great 'forecast' that's us tomorrow, ESE is as bad as WNW, showers miss here only East has dumping, instead of Stockport

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Unfortunately the winds start to turn more ESE through the night and into tomorrow, which is why the attention is focused on NE England and Eastern Scotland as this flow favours them....I'd wager that's where virtually all of that convection will be heading, leaving us with flurries tomorrow....(hopefully I'm wrong) - but I wouldn't be pinning any hopes on this saving us to be honest.

This unfortunately, winds will be direct Easterly for about 3-6 hours sometime tonight and tomorrow morning before quickly veering Southeasterly. Anything that can go wrong has gone wrong.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...