Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
13 minutes ago, Supacell said:

On current check there are 2819 online on the Netweather forum and 958 on TWO. 

Netweather is also far more feature rich on the forum side of things than TWO, so they have it relatively easy.

That said, who do you host with ? AWS and Azure can scale up dynamically pretty damn quickly during traffic spikes from my experience. 

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, kmanmx said:

That said, who do you host with ? AWS and Azure can scale up dynamically pretty damn quickly during traffic spikes from my experience. 

I am afraid that is not something I know about :) 

There have been snow flurries/showers on and off all morning but only putting down a very light dusting so far. I am quite interested in tomorrows snow maker, it looks quite good for those who are in its path. Still models at odds with exactly where it will go, the final answer will be revealed this time tomorrow.

Posted

Thanks for the summary, Supacell. I was about to catch up on the MOD thread, but I think I'll give it a miss if the wrist slashers are running amok this morning. The negativity in there can become very draining after a while.

Bish

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

looks good on chart SS posted in short range model thread, but looks sleety later Tues

Sleety? With -14 uppers, 504 DAM and negative due points? Not possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Thanks for the summary, Supacell. I was about to catch up on the MOD thread, but I think I'll give it a miss if the wrist slashers are running amok this morning. The negativity in there can become very draining after a while.

Bish

Just a bit. They're super negative unless there is two feet of snow predicted for London & the south in general, with atleast 4 weeks of sub zero maximima temps...

Couldn't just be happy that we've got atleast 5 days of a potentially historic cold spell for this time of year :yahoo:

In other news, lots more showers headed this way, just started snowing here actually. Light but steady. :)

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

EC and GFS though do turn it milder with rain Friday night, GFS not even giving that much snow

Apparently ecm is brilliant for the midlands all snow event and remains cold after aswell!!gfs is clearly disrupting more of the low pressure this morning for friday!!game on mate!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
31 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

looks good on chart SS posted in short range model thread, but looks sleety later Tues

No that's impossible, anything that falls from the sky from now until at least Friday will be snow, after that is still open to question.

Posted

Can any one help me with this mornings developments please !

looking at the charts using my limited knowledge is it looking less wintry for north Nottinghamshire ?

seems on met office app that snow symbols for tomorrow onwards are less than yesterday and the charts seem to have moved the ppn away some what ??

im north Nottinghamshire about 85 miles inland from the wash 

Posted

Wow out of nowhere very heavy and huge flakes here in south Nottingham. Almost a white sheet coming down.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Snowy L said:

Wow out of nowhere very heavy and huge flakes here in south Nottingham. Almost a white sheet coming down.

Where in south Nottingham?

im near underwood and nothing here !

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

No that's impossible, anything that falls from the sky from now until at least Friday will be snow, after that is still open to question.

I would imagine that the original post is referring to things turning sleety next Tuesday March 6th. No chance there will be sleet tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

Report on LE3 

Sunny/cloudy mix, -1.3c sun trying hard, but struggling... Large snowflakes spiralling downwards, no density yet, the snow is sort of making B-Lines for Wall corners and car wiper blade parking spots!!!  

Posted
8 minutes ago, tyson99 said:

Can any one help me with this mornings developments please !

looking at the charts using my limited knowledge is it looking less wintry for north Nottinghamshire ?

seems on met office app that snow symbols for tomorrow onwards are less than yesterday and the charts seem to have moved the ppn away some what ??

im north Nottinghamshire about 85 miles inland from the wash 

I would not bother with apps when it comes to snow showers; and charts can only give an idea. North Nottinghamshire looks very well placed for snow showers this week. I would stick to radar watching from now on :)

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Light snow coming down here now. Considering this was formed all the way over in the North Sea and has made it this far west is encouraging.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Light snow coming down here now. Considering this was formed all the way over in the North Sea and has made it this far west is encouraging.

Yep. To be fair, while most models have not done well showing the showers making it this far inland for today, looking at the Met Office warning areas it seems as though they themselves were expecting them to do so. Who'd have thought it, a professional weather body knowing better than publicly available model outputs :D

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

XC has a forecast for Monday next week for us to get over THIRTY CM of rain...??? :D 

I think the software is a little 'tired and emotional' at present :D

Posted

Some of the flakes are fairly chunky as well so providing intensity picks up at some point there should be a covering.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
22 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

All the computer models look good for the Midlands on Friday. GFS is the closest to turning the snow to rain, as usual.

Looks like all snow event on gfs 06z for us anyway!!south of the m4 as usual turns to rain!!

Posted

getting a few light flurries, and a dusting of snow,   then it stops, what little had settled then thaws, that's the current situation where I am at the moment in Burton on Trent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
6 minutes ago, BleakMidwinter said:

XC has a forecast for Monday next week for us to get over THIRTY CM of rain...??? :D 

I think the software is a little 'tired and emotional' at present :D

haha, imagine if that was dry snow, that would equal to around 1 metre of it :rofl:

Posted
6 minutes ago, shaky said:

Looks like all snow event on gfs 06z for us anyway!!south of the m4 as usual turns to rain!!

Blizzards all through Friday and Saturday. Great run for the Midlands!

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Blizzards all through Friday and Saturday. Great run for the Midlands!

Gfs backing down on the mild air!!saturday has temps around 0 degrees aswell with cold air further south!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

I’d advise peeps to just enjoy the next few days and not worry about the weekend onwards till Thursday. I still don’t think the models have nailed down the end of this week yet, think the latest ICON run is a step in the right direction. UKMO looks a reasonable evolution also.