Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

@Cov87 in reply to your post from the mod thread, at present it looks like the south will get the most of the snow but to be honest, slight adjustments north could occur which will put us in the firing line! Predicting precipitation where and when at this juncture is near on impossible given the current setup #PUSB :yahoo:

Edited by chris pawsey
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 hours ago, andy_leics22 said:

Next week looks interesting. Veeery interesting:cold:

Hopefully Andy we in decent spot in northants met office does say central southern  east England.

We can also get some showers of the coast as well 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi all,

This forthcoming week is going to be just the best, so far this winter we've had snow and every month at that :D and this will be the icing on the cake :cold:

As you all know VERY COLD AIR is coming and hopefully MORE SNOW.

Just a few charts that's caught my eye :shok: and some of these are rare :good:

At the moment it's all about this cold air in my eyes, regarding any snowfall....It'll come....but ATM I'm just rejoicing this epic outlook.

image.thumb.png.cb7d2575079a8b25b4aabfba20824310.pngCapture.thumb.PNG.d3e46d5e64b0e5e898d122098c4ab650.PNGgfs-3-114_hvd9.pnggraphe_ens3_vev9.gif150-290UK_rpi3.GIF

• Like 2

Posted

March 2013  23rd had heavy snow here, absolute chaos, so could get a repeat this next week.

just shows get the right patterns and anything possible, I also believe the conditions in 2013 weren't as  extreme as this predicted spell

P1050242.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

This is just amazing. I'm all stocked up here ready, Yes Mark 2013 was as you say very severe with snow wall to wall in the lanes, I was snowed in for days with drifts up to the windows.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Wash streamer in 2010 gave 36cms here overnight, went o bed with 5cms woke up at 6.30pm and unreal depth.

topped out in garden at over 60cms on the slopping lawn.

wj

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

EC furthest south for end of week low, UKMO and GFS give us loads! see where GFS 18Z places it

Posted

Yep, bought some extra milk today, and an extra loaf, plus some soup, ( won,t go overboard hahah)

i think when you look at previous snow falls and weather patterns in place this current one has far more potential to be memorable.

plus this morning it was -4.8 here and it was cold, we haven't even got to next week yet, so what the hell -15 windchill will be like.

although March is nearly upon us..

i am going to sit back and enjoy what ever comes at us (beast from east)

i also think it has been absolutely fantastic to watch all of this on the models evolve, on net weather for weeks.

best viewing and show in town by far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat
22 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

This is just amazing. I'm all stocked up here ready, Yes Mark 2013 was as you say very severe with snow wall to wall in the lanes, I was snowed in for days with drifts up to the windows.

Didn't think that the snowline extends to as north as Derby or am I missing something?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I made a batch of crumpets today, and have spent the week systematically stocking up our (very small) freezer with a range of homemade "ready-meals" in single portions, so we can have quick hot meals pinged in the microwave... 

And I've got my boots dubbined and lots of woolly socks knitted :)

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, marksp said:

Wash streamer in 2010 gave 36cms here overnight, went o bed with 5cms woke up at 6.30pm and unreal depth.

topped out in garden at over 60cms on the slopping lawn.

Posted these same pictures a few pages back, but this radar shot from the archives shows the aforementioned Wash streamer you speak of, and the biblical amount of snow that it dropped here.

My memory of March 2013 is foggy, probably because id just turned 18 :drunk:but that picture you have posted is incredible, where was this if you dont mind me asking?

I now have to commute to Matlock every day so next week should be fun! 

NW Radar Archive

005.JPG

006.JPG

• Like 1

Posted

it was at the top of Slack Hill on way to Matlock.

so plenty of elevation, another 100 metres and the snow was 6ft wall to wall blocked teh road for over 1.5 miles,

until they went up there with JCBs to dig a path, snow ploughs were useless.

• Like 1

Posted

Did the first big stock up of food today, even picked up a torch. Mind you, if we have a power cut we're a bit borked as everything in the flat runs on electric! The only plus point is we're very well insulated, although as we're East facing I'm really noticing the wind giving the window a little bit of a rattle already.

All the workmen doing the Holloway Head slipway were moving the equipment out today. Maybe they've been warned about the freezing conditions coming?

bigfreezelarder.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

I have seen snow from the north, south and west this winter, and snow in every winter month. Awesome stuff. Never happened in London.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I have seen snow from the north, south and west this winter, and snow in every winter month. Awesome stuff. Never happened in London.

Hey Matt, another ex-Londoner?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
3 minutes ago, Hirudine said:

Did the first big stock up of food today, even picked up a torch. Mind you, if we have a power cut we're a bit borked as everything in the flat runs on electric!

Same here! But one of the women from my local Sewing Group lives within blizzard-walking distance and has an old house with a wood-stove, so I've told her if our electric seriously goes off and no gennie-truck, then we'll walk up to stay at hers :)

Posted
Just now, Hirudine said:

Hey Matt, another ex-Londoner?

Yeah. Moved to Snow-on-Trent 18 months ago :D

Mind you, I'll be gutted if the system at the end of the week hits London and misses here. Ha!

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Yeah. Moved to Snow-on-Trent 18 months ago :D

Mind you, I'll be gutted if the system at the end of the week hits London and misses here. Ha!

Hah! That's about the same time I moved to Brum from Bethnal Green. It would be massively ironic if they get the biggest dumping of snow after we left, although to be fair, the snow we had in December was deeper than anything I'd seen in London.

Posted
2 hours ago, chris pawsey said:

@Cov87 in reply to your post from the mod thread, at present it looks like the south will get the most of the snow but to be honest, slight adjustments north could occur which will put us in the firing line! Predicting precipitation where and when at this juncture is near on impossible given the current setup #PUSB :yahoo:

Hope this time coventry gets some good snowfall i remember 2010 was freezing cold but we had no snow whille even places 20 miles away were getting plastered 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cov87 said:

Hope this time coventry gets some good snowfall i remember 2010 was freezing cold but we had no snow whille even places 20 miles away were getting plastered 

Looking at the current setup, i think we will be very unlucky not to receive enough snow to hit the hills with sledges! Roll on the pub run for potential further upgrades... if that is possible!! :drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
21 minutes ago, chris pawsey said:

Looking at the current setup, i think we will be very unlucky not to receive enough snow to hit the hills with sledges! Roll on the pub run for potential further upgrades... if that is possible!! :drunk-emoji:

not sure it is, hope to see northwards trend on EC though for low Thurs/Fri