Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

The last properly significant/severe, prolonged spell of wimtry weather I saw was in April 2013 when I was living in Kent. The snow did struggle to settle during the day time down there but I think parts of the Midlands had deep snow cover.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Turning out to be a pleasant afternoon with some good sunny spells after a cloudy morning! That feeling of Spring is starting to feel more and more evident. Especially with the brighter sun.

Not terribly mild, but still reasonable with the temperature around 8*C, and rising.

Should a cold, potent, Easterly fail to occur within the next two weeks, then I would be happy to see some warmer Spring-like weather - kinda similar to this afternoon. It just gets exhausting going after dreamland cold snowy setups and Easterlies in the Models all the time. More especially if these setups just get stuck in FI. I think, to be fair, most of us seem to have done pretty well for wintry weather in the Midlands this Winter. But one or two last chances of some further snowy weather, particularly if it comes via an unstable convective Easterly (as they’ve been lacking), would be great!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
On 2/16/2018 at 13:33, MattStoke said:

The last properly significant/severe, prolonged spell of wimtry weather I saw was in April 2013 when I was living in Kent. The snow did struggle to settle during the day time down there but I think parts of the Midlands had deep snow cover.

Not April, it was March 2013....The one day snow fell for 24hrs which left 22CM in my back yard and temps during the day didn't get above freezing :D

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi all, Ive been work away for a week without looking at any models/net weather......OMG....I'll have to do this more often....Deep cold incoming and snow from the East...WOW!!! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Who felt the Swansea 4.4 earthquake just before 3 o'clock then? 

Not weather, I know, but where else can you squawk excitedly about having drowsily been half-reading and suddenly having everything go shaky and rumbly for quite a few seconds?

Here's the BGS seismograph from the Long Mynd, just along the road from us - and we're some distance from Swansea!image.thumb.png.7e04c5c75de718e26febcefde0bf17ee.png

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/helicorder/heli.html if you want to look up the station nearest you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Didn’t feel anything here, although there’s apparently been reports of people in the region that felt some shaking! 

Maybe it’s a sign of the snow demons trying to break out of the ground and plan to invade the U.K. with a big, thick, white blanket from the East ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Felt the 'quake clearly, mind you I had just gone to bed for a nap but hadn't dropped off, so I felt it through my whole body rather than just my feet had I been standing. Lasted around 10 seconds, I thought it may have been a quake, asked Other Half (sitting in his office) if he'd felt anything and he said yes, as if a heavy truck had just gone by the house.

• Like 1

Posted

Was sitting down at the time felt some shaking for a few seconds a bit like a hgv thundering past. First earthquake I've ever felt 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
31 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

So are we still 10 days away??

Ay, sigh, Monday 26th date it's due, could be cancelled

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Is it a coincidence? 

Is it a sign?

In January 2013 during the cold spell and on the day of the heavy snow, I think it was Nottinghamshire had a small earthquake which measured only 2.9, hmmm??

On another note anyone remember the Dudley earthquake in 2002, which measured I think 4.7 or 4.8 on the R. Scale??

Edited by Sparkiee storm

Posted

I felt nothing. It's hard to feel when you're dead inside :)

Some mouth watering potential for late Feb, but we know it can all go wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

if those charts actually make it to 48 hours I’d advise to all buy a thick coat and a snow shovel and brace ourselves ?

Posted

Im not getting too excited, seen it loads of times on here, when the model thread shows snowmageddon them does an about turn with downgrades left right and centre, before delivering a few scattered bouts of snow and sleet.

On the subject of the past, whatever happened to Mr Crazy Snowfan?

Posted

This one does have a lot of support behind it. The SSW and the way it has occurred, the pros being on board, the model consistency. Can still go wrong but the chances look higher than normal.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Rich_T said:

Im not getting too excited, seen it loads of times on here, when the model thread shows snowmageddon them does an about turn with downgrades left right and centre, before delivering a few scattered bouts of snow and sleet.

On the subject of the past, whatever happened to Mr Crazy Snowfan?

wasn't a fan on my ignore list, hope gone for ever

Posted
56 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

wasn't a fan on my ignore list, hope gone for ever

He`ll be back to go crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy.

ohmy.png

untitled.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
5 hours ago, MattStoke said:

This one does have a lot of support behind it. The SSW and the way it has occurred, the pros being on board, the model consistency. Can still go wrong but the chances look higher than normal.

With or without snowmageddon, I reckon the thing that is looking more and more likely is a lot more cold than we've been used to in recent years, and for longer than we're used to. 

I know from when I lived in Scotland, it is one thing having -4 at night for a couple of nights, and another when it stays below freezing at lunchtime for day after day after day... 

I doubt we'll have a fortnight solid of ice days in the Midlands, but I think a lot of people are going to find it uncomfortably cold, if not set up for it. In four winters, we've never used any heating in out little flat except an old Victorian "stone pig" ceramic hot-water bottle that's like a mini storage heater, but in the next couple of days we'll be digging out the electric heater and looking at that and the central heating and working out which to use if we really find we have to. And I've been emailing family all down the east coast, from Scotland to East Anglia, to let them know they maybe should get the heavy shopping in by car, and check stocks of firewood, coal, etc., in the next couple of days because it's all a bit uncertain after that...

Snow in Shropshire, probably not anything like as much as the East is likely to get - but it's going to be bloody nippy, imo. And I think it's going to be nippy enough to make people bloody miserable at that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

We keep chasing this easterly and have done since December. In the meantime it keeps being pushed back. I mean this week has been pretty dull and non-descript weather wise and I feel we've suddenly hit Spring.

I will believe it when I see the first signs of colder weather as at the moment that's a week away.

Posted
6 minutes ago, RobR said:

We keep chasing this easterly and have done since December. In the meantime it keeps being pushed back. I mean this week has been pretty dull and non-descript weather wise and I feel we've suddenly hit Spring.

I will believe it when I see the first signs of colder weather as at the moment that's a week away.

Well some sort of Easterly looks nailed on now, although I'd seriously doubt that the extreme cold of the models would materialise. It would be an unusual Easterly that bought large amounts of snow to this area though. In my long years there have been very few. They mostly consist of a couple of days of sunshine & snow showers & then turn cloudy and raw with bits of snizzle. If you check back through the records, even 1947 & 1963 failed to deliver much snow here.

Posted
8 hours ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

Cold temperatures around freezing are almost a certainty I would say for the Midlands. How prolonged will the cold spell be is a different question. All depends on the position of the heights. However I don't believe Central areas will be getting much snow. That will be limited to eastern areas

kinda agree there, seas too cold for big convective showers, Dec is best month, warm seas, but beast in Dec not likely in the christmas pudding