Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
10 minutes ago, MartinD said:

Still Snowing steady here in Worcester and can't believe how amazing some of the drifts look, took this photo just down the road from my house.

20180302_172243.jpg

Looks like Mount Rushmore Of England! 

Posted

Unbelievable snow tonight. Lovely alpine snow  and  in such a relative short time.   That's me done now. If there is a whiteout at Easter then you can have it.  What a winter in the west mids 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
1 minute ago, MartinD said:

Not good if you need to urgently pop out to the shops.... This was just around the corner from my house at 2:00pm this afternoon.

20180302_165700.jpg

Amazing! Looks like shaving foam. The snow has looked a bit like that in this cold spell actually because of the powdery nature of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Just taken a total snow measurement in a sheltered part of my garden, currently we have just a shade under 21cm. Quite amazing really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Looks like its getting more patchy from the West of the system now 

Posted

Also makes me laugh the coverage on the news. Banging on about everywhere apart from the areas worst effected tonight. The Midlands. Its the same with the football. They always ignore us. Up yours national media 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

A fresh dusting so far. Few more hours to come hopefully.

Pleased for you. Hope you get a decent covering. You have suffered more than any of us on here this winter.

• Like 2

Posted

Not that i'm bothered but we have had plenty of snow here and its still falling but the met off app is showing.clear skies for coventry at the moment ??? no wonder the beeb told them to do one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Still snowing very lightly here. Off to bed, might go for a walk in the morning :) 

Posted
3 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Pleased for you. Hope you get a decent covering. You have suffered more than any of us on here this winter.

Like someone said earlier, Stoke is greatly positioned to get snow from every direction but tends to only catch the edge of events rather than getting a direct hit. That sums up the winter here. A lot of small, short lived snowfalls. Good but a bit frustrating too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Some amazing pictures on Midlands Today after the 10pm news. The Bromyard to Ledbury road looked like the Arctic, with snowdrifts 10 feet high and more. I don't recall seeing anything like it.

• Like 1

Posted

Had gone light and patchy , now thumping it down again ???❄️❄️❄️

Posted

Severn Trent having a major issue in the B27 area no water pressure what so ever! Had a text off them to say they trying to fix the issue but been an hour now and nothing! No water and my bolier is reading zero. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I love snow but I’m thinking that I’m ready for a warm up now, never thought I’d say that but yeah I think I’m going to send it all to MATTSTOKE as I wana get my Bmw back out ?

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Unbelievable snow tonight. Lovely alpine snow  and  in such a relative short time.   That's me done now. If there is a whiteout at Easter then you can have it.  What a winter in the west mids 

Incredible winter for the West Midlands. On par with 2012/13 if not better

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Arctic Hare said:

Some amazing pictures on Midlands Today after the 10pm news. The Bromyard to Ledbury road looked like the Arctic, with snowdrifts 10 feet high and more. I don't recall seeing anything like it.

Luckily I remember 1982, our village was cut off for around a week before diggers could get to us.  I remember seeing and playing in drifts that were easily 15' high and we made tunnels in drifts on the local lanes.  I'll have to have a look through my mom's photographs to see if I can find some with the snow on.

Posted
57 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Hi DRL, Do you know why when using mobile phones you can't see someone's location , Laptop/desktop etc is okay ....?

Hiya. If you scroll to the top of your screen and then click on the 3 dots , then tick the desktop site box. Then you can see peoples location 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

I love snow but I’m thinking that I’m ready for a warm up now, never thought I’d say that but yeah I think I’m going to send it all to MATTSTOKE as I wana get my Bmw back out ?

Oh I have a BMW M Sport. No chance of that getting out anywhere soon

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
5 minutes ago, nobble said:

Had gone light and patchy , now thumping it down again ???❄️❄️❄️

yep very fine flakes though by the looks of it, but still counts and adds more :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
3 minutes ago, high ground birmingham said:

Incredible winter for the West Midlands. On par with 2012/13 if not better

This event and the one in mid december is easily the best I can remember in Leicester for me personally. We did not do well in 12/13, 10 etc. Pretty much all the great winters for the rest of the country were still nothing more than 3 to 5cm at best in Leicester if my memory serves me.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

To be fair... the Amber Warning system is a reflection of potential disruption, hence why they're rare in the Highlands of Scotland even with two foot of snow, but more common in London with three centimetres - so the Ambers all week related directly to the fact that the vast majority of the population needed to get to work, etc. This is a Friday night, with much of the area already having snow-affected roads, schools closed, etc., and as people have said over and again in this thread this evening, a  lot of this snow wasn't really expected to reach this far, or was expected to be further over west, etc. 

So, as with snow so often, it was difficult to forecast the track specifically, but also, a Friday night has far fewer people out and about urgently, so less of an impact. So less of a warning, or none. 

It isn't any anti-Midlands thing, imo. It's just how statistics are applied. Nothing new. Nothing biased.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
1 minute ago, high ground birmingham said:

Oh I have a BMW M Sport. No chance of that getting out anywhere soon

Mine before the snow got it. Tried to go to work in it today had to abandon it at the bottom of the road lol, thank f**k for my mrs trusty Mazda 

3C304A54-5D2F-41C9-B2AF-921E21CBC00D.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
3 minutes ago, mr benn said:

Hiya. If you scroll to the top of your screen and then click on the 3 dots , then tick the desktop site box. Then you can see peoples location 

Thank you Mr Benn never knew that :hi: