Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

After 6 consecutive 'ice days' I can now hear the slow drip of liquid water. Thick fog and a current temp' of 0.8c.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

An excellent summary, @Arctic Hare :)

I think this winter just about qualifies for an 8/10 for me, two excellent cold snowy spells and not so much grey, mild muck compared to the past few winters.

The sun has just emerged here as well, which should well & truly zap the snow.

Bish

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Fozfoster said:

Got any sun yet?

We have sunshine in Kettering. Though that doesn't improve Kettering :D

Posted

For some reason can't upload photos :

anyway snow melt is accelerating now all thinly covered areas have vanished......

our December snowman lasted 10 days , can the march snowman hold out longer ,.......?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

very rapid thaw going on, actually quite warm when the sun comes out. Roll on summer 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

For Leicester, this was an easy 9/10 winter. More snow days and greater depth, then any I can remember (even the supposed great winters in the past decade wern't great here).

I still eagerly await the day where a snow event delivers more than 10cm in Leicester :D It would be amazing to see 30 or 40cm for once... roll on winter of '18/'19.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just realised I didn't include a score in my winter summary: I'd also give it 9/10, given how little snow Bewdley usually gets and the fact that it's unrealistic to expect every winter month to be snowy. I suppose another 1963 would get 10/10, but in the absence of that this is about as a good as it gets. I can also add to the "Hits" column: cornices! Saw those on 11 December.

Back in today's world, it's chucking it down with rain and 6.5 °C. Snow cover in the back garden down to 50% now and decreasing rapidly.

Edited by Arctic Hare
mention of cornices

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
4 minutes ago, Winter80s said:

Any thunder there Artic

Nope, just moderate rain and a gloomy, overcast sky. Pretty dull in every sense of the word. Roll on the first 15 °C day!

Posted

The sun is out! I feel much better about the thaw now than I did when it was raining and murky. Pretty much confirms my feeling that Winter Mode is over for me now and I'm waiting for Spring Mode to kick in.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Arctic Hare said:

Nope, just moderate rain and a gloomy, overcast sky. Pretty dull in every sense of the word. Roll on the first 15 °C day!

And then the first 20°C day, and then the first 25°C day, and then............. :yahoo:

Bish

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

With the last of the snow behind us for most during the cold spell (but what fun it’s been), thought it would be best to open up a new thread ready for Spring. Will be locking this shortly. ?

Posted

6.5 out of 10 for me. The building blocks were there for a very good winter, but I was just too far south/east/west/north for more snow events than I can remember, so very frustrating. The 24 hour snowfall on Wednesday night/Thursday with temperatures of -7C made sure it was an above average winter though with a memorable moment.

Posted

Well......

All the snow had melted in this picture, but we've just had a huge hail storm ,it's all white again now lol

2018-03-04 16.54.57.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun and Thunder storms

So it’s currently 6.4c and cloudy a big turnaround from this time yesterday when it was -1c. At least the fog has gone, but so has most of the snow except for the drifts.

I would give this winter a 7/10. Like the Stoke members we seem to be in a snow desert here. December was a big disappointment, so close to getting something good but about 15 miles too far north. This latest spell has rescued winter for me but now I am looking forward to spring and getting back in the garden.