Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Not the full on winter wonderland I was hoping for but I love this place (Park Hall Country Park) Beautiful in any weather.

Complete cloud cover and the temperature has crept up to -1'C so far. Shows how strong the sun's influence is as it is still causing a slow thaw.

It's been a good winter with snow from every direction and in each winter month. Just gutted that my phone malfunctioned during the only really significant snow (>10 cm) back in early December.

Realistically, that's probably the end of the last significant cold spell until next winter. Sad to see the back of my favourite season and favourite weather but I'm sure I'll forget about it when we get some real heat.

4BB88FBC-4721-4E5C-A619-1746D984C61C.jpeg

895B529C-EF75-4ED3-9039-A6954049269E.jpeg

1B57AF6B-5B3E-4E69-82D9-BA6757D9234E.jpeg

64822E63-D976-4D71-9412-5A5A27AD4BEB.jpeg

6E770347-AC73-4281-955F-215D3021AEDF.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

The planned event was canceled  in the end - heading off to Ticknall/Calke park to see what remains of the snow- as far as i know nothing has fallen there since Thursday. Like my area yesterdays snowfall missed it completly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

been great event folks, enjoyed it, on here too, constant forum activity from whole of uk, suppose got to get back to normal from tomorrow

IMGP0246.JPG

IMGP0245.JPG

IMGP0243.JPG

IMGP0242.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Not the full on winter wonderland I was hoping for but I love this place (Park Hall Country Park) Beautiful in any weather.

Complete cloud cover and the temperature has crept up to -1'C so far. Shows how strong the sun's influence is as it is still causing a slow thaw.

It's been a good winter with snow from every direction and in each winter month. Just gutted that my phone malfunctioned during the only really significant snow (>10 cm) back in early December.

Realistically, that's probably the end of the last significant cold spell until next winter. Sad to see the back of my favourite season and favourite weather but I'm sure I'll forget about it when we get some real heat.

thought I saw on here reef in Hedon East Yorkshire, just had 1cm snow, unreal for what seems like a good location

and just said most snow for 5 years, 

Posted

Met Office app and written forecast says further snow tonight but then the thaw will properly set in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
42 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The latest Euro 4 develops some snow from the evening.

Thats also supported by the Icon 09 hrs run.

So still a bit more fun to come if that verifies. 

Nick

Regards tonight's potential snowfall.

The Netweather Radar shows that the frontal trough over the Channel at 11:00 has just about dissipated over the South Coast.

However Brussels may be coming to our rescue!!:cc_confused::D      That is unexpected?

A big blob of precipitation has now appeared just south of Brussels and seems to be heading NW. (No I am not talking Barnier here)

Can the Euros be picking upon this? Otherwise it looks dry for here.

Temperature has just got above freezing here for the first time for 5 days.

I have now got it at +0.7C, but still the dp remains at -0.2C so little melting of the snow here yet. It has not moved from the trees or roads yet.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Tried to put some pictures on here but don't seem to want to download some of the snow drifts were mad on my walk snow drifts as high as the hedges. Which is normally a back road between Corby and Geddington.

Edited by pegg24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I think snow is unlikely in my area later, there is some precipitation heading this way already but it is sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

What a great day, prefect conditions 'not too icy (dangerous) or too slushy, just perfectly compacted for tearing down then slopes and it was and still is packed (busy) :D

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Yeah not too fussed on anymore snow to be honest, much milder tomorrow and hopefully all gone by Monday (don’t like it hanging around). Fantastic start and end to winter, middle bit was largely forgettable! Bring on summer!

Posted

Then probably some rain tomorrow. Why do people who want to see the back of snow always cheer when it rains? Rain doesn't melt snow, milder temperatures do. All rain does is create ice and a slushy mess. Thoroughly unpleasant.

stoke snow.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Then probably some rain tomorrow. Why do people who want to see the back of snow always cheer when it rains? Rain doesn't melt snow, milder temperatures do. All rain does is create ice and a slushy mess. Thoroughly unpleasant.

stoke snow.png

Agreed. I had more than enough of that in December. If that spell had ended with a dry, sunny thaw it would have been just about perfect. As it was, the rain gave us a couple of days of awful ice that was lethal to walk on.

Still some nice sights around Bewdley today. The one thing we missed out on here was really large drifts -- not much over a foot anywhere. The attached photo was about the biggest I could find in town today:

drifts.jpg

5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

stoke snow.png

Not what Susan Powell said. Rain will cause rapid thaw were her exact words

Posted

It's heat that melts snow, not moisture. Otherwise, snow would never settle on wet ground and icebergs would all melt. Putting an ice cube in water won't melt it faster than leaving it in open air if that water is at room temperature. Unless the rain is higher than the air temperature, it won't speed up the melting of the snow. I suppose in this case where the rain will be falling through a warmer layer of air above, perhaps it will be warmer than the air temperature near the surface, but then it would be cooled by the air near the surface. 

A thaw with rain is always worse anyway. It's always a complete mess and can create sheet ice, which is far more dangerous than snow. Would much rather a dry thaw (If there has to be a thaw).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Best thaw ever was 6 April 2008. I went out for a walk at dawn (~6am) and it was a Christmas card scene everywhere with 4-5 inches of untouched snow. The strong April sun got to work shortly afterwards, and by mid-afternoon it was a pleasant spring day with mostly dry roads and pavements.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!

Been out for a drive this lunchtime around west worcester ( Clifton/ martley/ ankerdine hill) and it was incredible. The drifts oh my!! They have had to dig the roads clear with just enough room for one car at a time to drive thru’ and they were towering over my xc90.  Haven’t seen views like that for many many years. 

Just over 19 cms of flat lying snow in the back garden this morning, before the slow thaw set in.

Overall a great winter here and I hope this is the start of many more to come!! 

Cheers to everyone for all their updates, 

MNR

• Like 2

Posted

Hi everyone, we are coming up to Warwick tomorrow from Wiltshire up the A429 and just wanted to check if the road is ok and clear, our roads are now fine after a rapid thaw today and was hoping it'll be ok to travel up your way. Thanks.

Posted

Well, last few bits of snow leaving the grass in this lower part of Stoke. Amazing to think what there is just a few miles away. probably be traces there for weeks.

Posted
23 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Well, last few bits of snow leaving the grass in this lower part of Stoke. Amazing to think what there is just a few miles away. probably be traces there for weeks.

More than that left here, and there was quite a bit up at Park Hall Country Park. Not a huge amount has melted. It's just been ruined by the wind, which has finally weakened. 

Think this is the start of some epic winters.  Usually occur in cycles.  Low solar activity next year too could assist more.  Difinately winters biting back from the horrid 1900s and early to mid 2000s.  10 years ago some thought these events was dead.  How wrong.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Slight thaw earlier on here but just got home from shopping to find the trees are all white with ice so presume the fog is now freezing fog