Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
6 minutes ago, el tiempo said:

Even the dusting we had yesterday evening has disappeared 

Wow. Must be gut wrenching. We had very little here until Thursday night. Now have drifts over 5ft in places!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm just about ready for spring now, I may go for one last walk this afternoon but I have gotten my snow fix now. Yesterday evening made up for a poor week and whilst the snow was never really heavy, it has led to good accumulations here.

It's tricky to get exact figures because of the drifting but I would say 10-15cm widely, 1ft drifts very regularly and 5ft drifts are about.

• Like 1

Posted

Well we didn't get much Snow but we had the Hurricain (lol) instead in North Staffs, with Boots taking a direct hit from a grain of grit lol

Screenshot_20180303-095735.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Met office, Snow for parts of the Midlands coming up from the South later, It seems I've got it from 8 - 10pm

Rain on the south coast!!!  must be enough cold air in place for that to turn to snow as it arrives over the Midlands later. TV BBC weather also shows it.

Screenshot_2018-03-03-10-02-25.thumb.png.215d7449775535dc7829d592b944b44f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Similar here...

I've been out to clear some lawn to put bird food down.

Amazing differences in depth (even on the lawn),caused by  the strong winds and blizzarding effect.

Minimum I measured (where exposed) was 7cms. Maximum was about 18cms.(not a drift).

The highest drift was about  30 cms. This in a very sheltered garden in the middle of Solihull.

I am guessing that about 13cms fell in the 12hr snowfall of yesterday,

Todays weather - well very misty and the temp which was -1.8C at 8:30 is now at -0.4C and rising very slowly.

Looks like we could finally get above zero today. Dew Point is still at -1.2C so not much melt so far.

The easterly wind is still there, but has moderated somewhat today.

Snow falling days now at 20 with 24 snow laying. (I count strict 24 hr days not 09:00 as per met office) .

This counts as my highest for snow falling (already) for this winter, since I started keeping records 10 years ago..

Also that includes snowfall of 23cms(Dec), 13cms (now) and 4cms in the second event in December.

Yep we have done well this year in the Central Midlands.

Takes me back to the 70's and 80's again.

MIA

• Like 5

Posted
43 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Wow. Must be gut wrenching. We had very little here until Thursday night. Now have drifts over 5ft in places!

Feel like the kid Santa forgot 

Posted

Very little snow in Hinstock just south of Market Drayton, looking forward to spring now. Enjoy any snow you have over the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

The temp has risen to 0.1 °C, the first time we've seen a positive value here in Bewdley since Tuesday afternoon! Still lots of snow about of course, but I'm not really looking forward to a slow thaw. Actually, that's been another nice thing about this spell's unusual conditions: absolutely no drip-drip-drip. But now? I want a total change with 15 °C and warm spring sunshine. Doesn't look like I'll get that, but I still want it!

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Good spell for northants 6 7 inches across the garden then had drifted up to  about 14 inches.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the forecast tonight shows a spell of snow in coventry before turning to rain early tommorrow morning..wouldnt mind that and not being greedy only had 15cms yesterday ?

Posted

What do we think about later tonight? GFS Showing a small period of snow again this evening...one last hurrah? I wouldn't put the jacket and scarf away just yet either looking at the output....a record breaking SSW will probably bring us a chilly spring overall. Remember in 2013....it's snowed heavily and covered for a couple of days in the final few days of March....it's not completely off the table. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

Morning all. Great night wasn't it for most about 15cm fell here. Villa game off though is the pay back. So off to Lickey hills for some fun with the kids. Can only imagine some of the drifts up there even in Oldbury there is 3 to 4 foot drifts. Winter from the past we have expierenced so far. Also Met and BBC have another 8 hours of snow tonight but maybe turning to rain Sunday morning. Have a great day people get out there and enjoy it. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Looks like no additional snowfall last night, nothing seems added to our couple of inches yesterday afternoon. Nothing like the totals many of you have, but it's enough to look beautiful and that does me...

We've had a great week, though - day after day with falling snow, lying snow - and I reckon the weather system has been the most exciting I've experienced. Worrying, in the longer term, if this is going to start happening at this time of year, extending the cold like this with little warning. 

But beautiful, thrilling and gorgeous. 

I'm trying to make myself get up and go out in it, but it's so nice and cosy in here gazing out at it... :)

Edited by BleakMidwinter
  • Like 2

Posted

Only trouble for me is I am self employed and cut lawns and garden work for a living. This weather will probably mean me not cutting lawns until mid March at the earliest. Even next week it looks cold at night.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

It started snowing again at 3 yesterday afternoon and was still going strong at midnight.

Huge drifting on top of existing ones and I have been snowed in again until just when the farmer cleared the track again for the third time in two days.

Folk like him are the real heroes at times like this. 

Now I can finally get out I'll try and get some photos.

Edited by kar999
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

I wonder if anywhere in the UK had no lying snow whatsoever during this spell? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

1c here and we have a not bad covering. Looks cool where it had drifted a bit. 

maybe some more later? Not looked at forecasts yet, would be awesome for those up for more!

Posted
13 minutes ago, TyphoonNow said:

I wonder if anywhere in the UK had no lying snow whatsoever during this spell? 

The Fylde coast. 

Don’t mention it in the north west thread you may get your head bitten off! 

Posted
4 hours ago, Mellenchip said:

If I were to go for a drive to see some decent snow from stoke, where should I go? 

Head along the A53 (in either direction).....

Minimal thawing here, had snow on and off till about 4 or 5 am which covered all the cleared bits. Average this morning about 9cm but again huge variations: walked the dogs yesterday and there was a 3ft high, 10ft long drift on a footpath. It's surprising that it only takes modest amounts to produce big drifts, if it's powdery and the wind is right.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Been looking at 'GlobalWarming' over on Two.

He is their stats man.

He came up with the following as regards the temps..

Going back to a post I made in the February CET thread a week ago. These are the coldest CET means on record for the 7 day period from 24 Feb to 2 March inclusive (ignoring 29 March).

1947 -2.24C
1986 -0.91C
1963 -0.66C
1955 -0.63C
1929 -0.59C
1786 -0.53C
1783 -0.49C
1888 -0.37C
1886 -0.01C
1814  0.04C
1858  0.09C
1785  0.11C

The figure for 2018 for the same period (using the final official Hadley figure for February and my CET estimates for 1 and 2 March) is:

-1.06C

That puts us in second place behind 1947. So the last 7 days have been the second coldest 7 day period between 24 Fed and 2 March on record since 1772. Only 1947 was colder. I think that speaks for itself. In terms of temperature at least this has been a truly exceptional spell of weather for so late in the winter.

For many in the south - especially the south-west, the snow fall totals have been equally impressive. This morning there was 55cm of lying snow at St Athan on the edge of Cardiff.

Chineham, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 86m asl

ENDQUOTE

and as regards the 1st and 2nd of March -

Estimated CET mean for 1 Mar is -3.8C. 

Estimated CET mean for 2 Mar is -2.1C.

Coldest 1 March on record in the CET series if verified. Coldest previous figure was -3.5C in 1785

1 March is also be the fourth coldest March day on record since 1772.

Equal coldest 2 March on record in the CET series if verified. Coldest previous figure was -2.1C in 1804.

March is the 26th coldest March day on record since 1772.

END QUOTE

Truly an exceptional period of cold weather.  

MIA                          

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Some piccy’s of the white stuff taken from both inside and outside Solihull Core Library overlooking Touchwood, The Library Square and Homer Road ❄️

A17C3DB0-991E-41F4-BF90-0732AA538D61.thumb.jpeg.3d1da1d4eb456565c8745585a3b3da32.jpeg2114A3E9-350E-4C3A-A6F5-18FA2163DE05.thumb.jpeg.12692a188e9e0ffd5b5661f92983c956.jpegCD6D67A3-4B68-4F69-BD37-7C1D575C7A31.thumb.jpeg.c8c1feea7406fc7e22dc02d70766cc19.jpeg99A5BF80-028C-4DA4-ABA2-E7C2C8CA6E4E.thumb.jpeg.e422096a26dbc5618b15c905a50b409b.jpeg

Overall, I would give this snow event about an 8.7/10. A decent snowfall. Almost as much snow as that from early December... though that event still produced deeper snow! 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Adding a bit extra
  • Like 2

Posted

Down by the Axe & Compass, Wolvey. Drifts of 2 to 3ft the pics dont do them justice tbh.

received_10214273943255958.jpeg

received_10214273943215957.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, kar999 said:

It started snowing again at 3 yesterday afternoon and was still going strong at midnight.

Huge drifting on top of existing ones and I have been snowed in again until just when the farmer cleared the track again for the third time in two days.

Folk like him are the real heroes at times like this. 

Now I can finally get out I'll try and get some photos.

Exactly unlike the council they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Posted

The latest Euro 4 develops some snow from the evening.

Thats also supported by the Icon 09 hrs run.

So still a bit more fun to come if that verifies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1