Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Still had to help a couple of people who ventured out in cars though and one lady did say they were thinking of leaving it where she was, but luckily we managed to get her going just about.

Edited by Sparkiee storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
2 minutes ago, bearing said:

Luckily I remember 1982, our village was cut off for around a week before diggers could get to us.  I remember seeing and playing in drifts that were easily 15' high and we made tunnels in drifts on the local lanes.  I'll have to have a look through my mom's photographs to see if I can find some with the snow on.

I was a kid in 1982, so I have vague memories... but I was living in Kidderminster at the time. It wasn't exactly snowdrift central, and sadly I was too young to be allowed to go out to the hills! Mind you, the lowish-lying Bromyard road in March is surely a different thing to parts of Staffordshire in January.

In terms of cold December 2010 beats both spells of course -- on Boxing Day it was -6 °C in mid-afternoon and the Severn froze bank-to-bank, which it seems it didn't even do in Bewdley in 1982, though I think it did in Bridgnorth. (1963 was the previous time it happened in Bewdley.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Got to work this morning and was welcomed to snow in the paint mixing store, was like something off the day after tomorrow 

C439F64A-17CD-441B-973F-20FCB0800DF0.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
11 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Like someone said earlier, Stoke is greatly positioned to get snow from every direction but tends to only catch the edge of events rather than getting a direct hit. That sums up the winter here. A lot of small, short lived snowfalls. Good but a bit frustrating too.

Same here Matt.Nothing more than  2 inches here all winter.Yesterday was our best fall of the winter but mostly thawed today.Once again this evenings snow has fizzled out just to the south of us..Getting bored now,roll on summer!.

Posted
1 minute ago, Arctic Hare said:

I was a kid in 1982, so I have vague memories... but I was living in Kidderminster at the time. It wasn't exactly snowdrift central, and sadly I was too young to be allowed to go out to the hills! Mind you, the lowish-lying Bromyard road in March is surely a different thing to parts of Staffordshire in January.

In terms of cold December 2010 beats both spells of course -- on Boxing Day it was -6 °C in mid-afternoon and the Severn froze bank-to-bank, which it seems it didn't even do in Bewdley in 1982, though I think it did in Bridgnorth. (1963 was the previous time it happened in Bewdley.)

Yes, we did great that year.  We used to be collected early, much to the disgust of the local kids, from school as the bus companies couldn't guarantee to get us home at the usual home time.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowqueen1979 said:

Do you think that band of rain making it up from the west will reach us ? 

How greedy am yow ? More snow? 

Edited by weirpig

Posted
Just now, weirpig said:

How greedy am yow ? 

He's starting to sound like them in the Wales group.  They're wishing any semblance of snowy PPN to drop on them.  That is despite them having around 80 foot of the stuff already... :D

Posted

Still snowing in coventry into our 9hrs of continuous snow never in my lifetime have i seen this much snow pile up. And to think last night i was distraught thinking we would miss out. This winter will live long in the memory!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Bed now... sledging day tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
3 minutes ago, Cov87 said:

Still snowing in coventry into our 9hrs of continuous snow never in my lifetime have i seen this much snow pile up. And to think last night i was distraught thinking we would miss out. This winter will live long in the memory!

Yes same here started around 2pm and is still snowing lightly.A decent covering now after very little before today.:)

Posted
1 minute ago, phil nw. said:

Yes same here started around 2pm and is still snowing lightly.A decent covering now after very little before today.:)

Are you around Nuneaton?? Did you measure the snow we have had over 10cms now which rare for us as we had 15cms in December 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, biting winds, frigid temperatures and thunderstorms

Although here in Barrow upon Soar we've not had the 9ft drifts others have had,  we've had daily snowfall for the past 5 days which has been an absolute pleasure to wake up to every day! I for one have loved this late winter easterly blast, it will live long in the memory :cold::yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
20 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Quoting myself as I've realised how silly that comment sounds, given that it was well below -20 °C in 1982! I was referring specifically to the river freezing. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Hi Cov 87,

Yes Chapel end/hartshill area.I havent been out tonight but going on past measurements in the garden i would say i have close to 10cm.I had very little yesterday,maybe you had some more to start with.

Still it's been a good easterly what with the sub zero days and biting wind.especially given the time of year.

Edited by phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Wow..

According to Netweather Radar(again) a new 50milewide streamer from Brugge has developed in the last half an hour (no not a naughty rhyme!) - and it seems to be heading towards Ipswich and then the East Mids....

It is a monster....

It couldn't extend the life of the trough further could it? 

It looks as if we may be attacked from two directions later in the night. ( East and South).

I think I would rather have the Belgium/ Dutch  variety as it may well help to keep the cold for longer than the French variety.

MIA 

Edit- Still 57 people on here at 23:35    what a variety?. Anyone would think that something was happening?..

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
1 hour ago, bearing said:

Thought Nottingham was pasted by a streamer the other night.  

There’s no harm in wanting more :D and I wouldn’t mind if hadn’t been forecast all day. I can guarantee if it was rain forecast it would have have arrived no problem at all,  ce :hi:la vie 

default_hi.gif

Posted
1 minute ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Wow..

According to Netweather Radar(again) a new 50milewide streamer from Brugge has developed in the last half an hour (no not a naughty rhyme!) - and it seems to be heading towards Ipswich and then the East Mids....

It is a monster....

It looks as if we may be attacked from two directions later in the night. ( East and South).

I think I would rather have the Belgium/ Dutch  variety as it may well help to keep the cold for longer than the French variety.

MIA 

Yep anything but the French. We are still on about weather ? 

Posted
9 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Hi Cov 87,

Yes Chapel end/hartshill area.I havent been out tonight but going on past measurements in the garden i would say i have close to 10cm.I had very little yesterday,maybe you had some more to start with.

Still it's been a good easterly what with the sub zero days and biting wind.especially given the time of year.

Oh ok

Yeah we had a covering from yesterdays snow and boy have we been topped up!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
54 minutes ago, jamie82 said:

Looks like Mount Rushmore Of England! 

Reminded me very much of 1991 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Last time temp was above freezing here was 14:50 on Tuesday truly incredible week and easily a foot of snow here

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Wow..

It is a monster....

MIA 

Started building around an hour and a half ago, wondered if it would be feeding the stuff we have over the Midlands.  Sadly it seems to be breaking up over Stafford.

Posted
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Big dry slot has developed over here.

It's breaking up over here now, seems to be travelling up to the east of us now.