Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

still snowing lightly, but gap opening up, seems to be moving southwards

The radar seems to be pushing the leading edge a bit further North, it's been stuck around Stafford but seems to have edged up to just south of Stone.  It's only started moving north in the last 10minutes.

Posted

Stoke also often seems to be the coldest part of the Midlands (aside from very high ground). Not sure why but that does at least give us an advantage in marginal setups.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

The Birmingham/Coventry area looks to be in the firing line for quite a bit more of this. Unless there's a westerly nudge, it's going to be a close call whether we in Bewdley get any more than very light stuff from now on. Not complaining at what we have had, though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Stoke also often seems to be the coldest part of the Midlands (aside from very high ground). Not sure why but that does at least give us an advantage in marginal setups.

definitely advantage over me in marginal setups, being around 80m higher

Posted

Hi, newbie here :) Been lurking since the beginning of this Beast from the East :) 

I’m in Matlock in the Derbyshire Dales. We had a lot of snow earlier this week. Nothing today so far, but MO has just given out heavy snow for the next 3 hours here. 

• Like 5

Posted

First post as I usually just read everyones updates but thought id use the facebook log in to vent frustration haha :

The south of Nottingham hasn't had a flake today, and most of the snow from a few nights ago has melted.

That was the only snow of any significance this winter and increasingly looking like its all we are getting.

admittedly it was a fair amount of about 4 inches and the most weve had for a good 15 years I reckon, but its the usual disappointing winter for Nottingham I think.

Not quite sure we never do well on the snow front

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Looks like the snow made it here, currently light but drifting continues with gales. 

Temp-3 4c

Wind chill -6c

Dp -4c

Gales from E/N/E

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Coming down heavy again in northants.

• Like 1

Posted

Just got back from a short stroll up Worcester rd , lovely and peaceful until some loud squealing engine parts - hazard warning lights come in view, cars front end completely smashed up moving along , his glum miserable face said it all. Sorry kiddo you didn't pick great evening to drive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
3 minutes ago, DerbyshireDales said:

Hi, newbie here :) Been lurking since the beginning of this Beast from the East :) 

I’m in Matlock in the Derbyshire Dales. We had a lot of snow earlier this week. Nothing today so far, but MO has just given out heavy snow for the next 3 hours here. 

Welcome! Beware, though, living up there you'll have to get used to plenty of "normal" winters when most of us are jealous of your snow and the rest of us have cold sleety rain. :D

• Like 2

Posted

At least it's finally snowing, even though it's really light. It's sticking no problem thanks to the very cold ground and the wind makes it look heavier than it really is. Really wanted a decent fall but it's better than nothing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

i think we've been lucky in Northampton from this cold spell.  on and off snow since wednesday with a good covering everywhere by this afternoon and this current snowfall is heavier than i thought we would get to be honest.  Looking very snowy out there.  My legs are so tired with all the walking.lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

More to come for Warwick, ?met Office app just updated for more heavy snow ?

Posted

Do we think that the snow will die off by about 12 tonight as the TV are predicting ?  The mainly dry tomorrow ?   Im hoping to drive into work tomorrow morning , so hoping it wont be any worse than when I go in about 7:30  .

its only about 4 miles but if the roads are still bad I wont get in again. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
8 minutes ago, DerbyshireDales said:

Welcome DD, Its chucking it down here....per ratio you'll be saying that a lot more that I will/us :hi:

• Like 2

Posted

Zoom into a place called Wirksworth (south of Matlock) and play the radar ... it maybe a radar error on anomaly but there's a small blob of torrential snow which hasn't moved for 2 hours?  If you are under that it must be dumping meters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
11 minutes ago, DerbyshireDales said:

Nothing in Denby yet just north of Derby.so don't get your hopes up too much!!.?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Welcome! Beware, though, living up there you'll have to get used to plenty of "normal" winters when most of us are jealous of your snow and the rest of us have cold sleety rain. :D

Thanks for the welcome :) 

Yes, we are often quite lucky up here if there is snow to be had. 

The strangest thing I’ve found about this weather happening is how it’s hit places who don’t normally get as much as us. Notts got a load before we did and yet usual winters we end up with double what Notts do. It’s been a very strange week to watch unfold! 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lee Jones said:

Zoom into a place called Wirksworth (south of Matlock) and play the radar ... it maybe a radar error on anomaly but there's a small blob of torrential snow which hasn't moved for 2 hours?  If you are under that it must be dumping meters.

I’m 5 mins from Wirksworth (I’m in another village in Matlock) and have been there to have my hair done earlier. Me and the hairdresser were laughing about the orange/yellow blob stuck over the map. There was nothing coming down at all! I keep noticing it’s still there when checking the radar for here. Must be a glitch? 

Posted

I'm not sure if im posting in the right thread - as almost all are going on about how much snow is coming down - here theres bugger all - cant even build a snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
8 minutes ago, Lee Jones said:

Blimey!!! Snow heaven there :DScreenshot_2018-03-02-21-06-00.thumb.png.d5db306981292404eaf8e8551a1596e6.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings