Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield

Just had an hour of moderate snow in Alrewas just south of Burton , falling lightly now but still going . giving us another covering....

Posted
1 minute ago, kmanmx said:

Really dont understand why Met Office only put a yellow out when there is heavy snow across the entire central swathe of the country during rush hour on a Friday while people are commuting back from work and to home in London and such. 

Probably because they have been court out ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Best of the pics from my walk to the shop a minute ago...

Shows the depth of the snow here

20180302_165847.jpg

20180302_170003.jpg

Edited by andy_leics22
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Probably getting on for 2cm of fresh snow from this. Sure, it's less than some places nearby have had, but I'm happy. Everything's white, and that's good enough for me. Best of luck, everone! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Tonight is going to be all about getting in the dark blues/greens. Any extended period of time under those is going to see accumulations getting much bigger, much quicker. A few miles down the road in the lighter shades are going to struggle for a covering. Eyes on the 'green zone' to my south. If that stays with its intensity and stalls for numerous hours. Then the calls of 5-10CM look good, if it doesn't - a lot of people are going to be in the lower end of 1-5CM. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, mother nature rocks said:

Can I ask again?? Any ideas where that ppn due south is heading??? 

Cheers in advance!!☃️❄️☃️

D013D8AC-EAE1-4510-9C94-47976E04B84E.jpeg

Good spot. Havent a clue!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
1 minute ago, mother nature rocks said:

Over the South West and into Wales. Not like they've had enough already:angry:

Posted
9 minutes ago, kmanmx said:

Really dont understand why Met Office only put a yellow out when there is heavy snow across the entire central swathe of the country during rush hour on a Friday while people are commuting back from work and to home in London and such. 

Agreed. Shocking by METO

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Lots of snow here this afternoon and local people are reporting that many of the roads are treacherous or impassable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, mother nature rocks said:

over France? think that maybe tomorrows snow? but sadly that is followed by the thaw, modelled here on GFS

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Agreed. Shocking by METO

In fairness, they have a warning out for 2-5CM.... I think there may be mentions of 5-10 M too. 

The snow isn't falling fast enough to breach that, so they are probably thinking it's well within the threshold of the warning and doesn't need updating. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
39 minutes ago, VeryCold said:

I wouldn't be surprised at 15cm if it keeps going like this for the next couple of hours

Yep..

Was supposed to be going out tonight ( to see some friends in Knowle) , but I have cancelled.

Wife had left her Corsa out for the job.

Went out to clear it before we left and it had 3-4cms of fresh on it, (and the wind had blown some off).

So I thought I would use a brush  to clear it off before putting into the garage for her.

Went round once, but it had covered again. went around a second time, and it had covered again.

Thought, well you know what - and put it back in the garage with another cm of snow on it!!!

Why the story? Well I thought that it would be easy - because it looked to be fairly light (from inside) with small grains, 'do not believe it!' .

It was hammering it  down.

I think we have already exceeded the 5cms (6 or 7) and if it continues like this we could be looking at a 15-20cm job.

What is more the temperature is still dropping.   It is now down to -3.0C with a windchill of -7.1C, and a dew-point of  -6.0C.

I think that the beast does not want to leave us without a fight!:cold::girl_devil:!!!

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Tonight is going to be all about getting in the dark blues/greens. Any extended period of time under those is going to see accumulations getting much bigger, much quicker. A few miles down the road in the lighter shades are going to struggle for a covering. Eyes on the 'green zone' to my south. If that stays with its intensity and stalls for numerous hours. Then the calls of 5-10CM look good, if it doesn't - a lot of people are going to be in the lower end of 1-5CM. 

still going well here, tiny flakes but still if it wasn't for the wind, could end up with 5cms ish on all surfaces, instead of nothing on some, 10+cms on others

not sure if we'll get any bigger flakes?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

Some serious snow fall been heavy since 3pm and predicted to last until the morning. Blizzard conditions at times. Just been to chippy and it's chaos on roads. Estimate about 8cm has fallen so far on top of yesterday's snow . Could this rival December it has a chance the way it's going at present. Still no Amber warning lol.

Posted
2 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

In fairness, they have a warning out for 2-5CM.... I think there may be mentions of 5-10 M too. 

The snow isn't falling fast enough to breach that, so they are probably thinking it's well within the threshold of the warning and doesn't need updating. 

I've had justover 5cm already just outside Wolvo

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

over France? think that maybe tomorrows snow? but sadly that is followed by the thaw, modelled here on GFS

prectypeuktopo.png

Very slow one that..26hrs :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun and Thunder storms

Snow just starting here. Heavy stuff looks south of us still will it move north? Here are some pictures from around the village from yesterday’s fall.

EF82D47D-7AD1-4039-8678-1480D590F070.jpeg

D8BC9CFF-E2F1-407D-9467-1E050E18144E.jpeg

6780AB47-DAE2-415C-A91C-3966B6F57D61.jpeg

Edited by Rob P
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

Loving this, moderate to heavy snow,strong wind, drifts getting bigger, temp now back to -3c☺☺☺

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowstorm27x said:

Some serious snow fall been heavy since 3pm and predicted to last until the morning. Blizzard conditions at times. Just been to chippy and it's chaos on roads. Estimate about 8cm has fallen so far on top of yesterday's snow . Could this rival December it has a chance the way it's going at present. Still no Amber warning lol.

I think the met office staff are probably trying to get home for the weekend haha. Still can’t believe we haven’t seen an amber warning for this.