Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
17 minutes ago, kar999 said:

The Beast from the East finally roared here in South Staffs with huge drifts in places... Out track was cleared twice by the kind farmer at 11 last night and again at 7 this morning otherwise I would have been snowed in

The first one is a car in the distance well and truly stuck on the road out of the village...

5a9920d1762e5_Village3.thumb.jpg.90291305e365470c113779430aeddef9.jpg

Village1.thumb.jpg.3a61acb9b7850f4ee4062ac9fc545755.jpgVillage2.thumb.jpg.756532efcf0e0d80af9d2ca9a6d90f34.jpg

Westbeech Road? 

Posted

Bbc now saying 1 hr of heavy then just light snow rest of the day till 6pm

Can i ask which of the forecaster websites seem to be the best.  Tho you guys all seem more clued up ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
2 minutes ago, mr benn said:

Can i ask which of the forecaster websites seem to be the best.  Tho you guys all seem more clued up ! 

I wouldn't rely on any of the websites, they just use raw model output and don't have any professional forecaster input, so they are sketchy at best especially in terms of precipitation. Watching the Met Office video forecasts on YouTube are probably your best bet. They tend to issue one in the morning, and another in the afternoon. If you're familiar with model watching you can see raw weather model output on Meteociel.fr and weatheronline.co.uk > expert charts area. 

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, mr benn said:

None of them, BBC had my area down for 6 hours of heavy snow showers, and not a flake has fallen, don't waste your time they're completely useless.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, DIS1970 said:

None of them, BBC had my area down for 6 hours of heavy snow showers, and not a flake has fallen, don't waste your time they're completely useless.

Need to pin this and place top of the thread. Spot on 

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
6 minutes ago, richbiss said:

Westbeech Road? 

Yep... Always a nightmare as it rarely gets gritted. I had to leave the village via Patshull and Burnhill Green

Edited by kar999

Posted
1 minute ago, Natalie Till said:

Met office removed all weather warnings now

Just refresh the Met Office website, still country wide warnings for me ?

edit:

Oh lol. Maybe you refreshed just between removing old ones and issuing new ones ;)

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 1

Posted

Met Office now reporting 2 to 5cm widely, 10cm in a few locations for east Wales.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Plenty of drifting snow here in Evesham some parts of the ground laid bare other parts have snow drifts seems strange to see powdery snow at this time of year and even in any winter month it's very uncommon :cold:

Posted
26 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Is that your Springer? Mine loves the snow!

A few cms here in Aldridge but with a decent amount of drifting especially just up the road from me on Longwood Lane and Beacon Road. Hopefully more later. 

My springer loves the snow too !

20180302_081036.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Just to give some peeps an idea of how much of a joke the met office weather app and beep online forecast is.

Searched my post code on both sites both have my area for light snow from 2pm till 12am then i searched a diffrent post code 1 mile up the road and it shows heavy snow for 4hrs then light snow till midnight..absolutely clueless tools in my opinion 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Temp above freezing now, was forecast to stay below all day, but with occasional flashes of sun, it's unlikely to go below again until later this afternoon/evening, when i hope it is actually snowing.

Posted

Sun gone in here and winds really picked up. Is the precip meant to form over us? Had a decent covering when that happened a few years back.

Posted
46 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Hirlam, Arpege and GFS 06z in good agreement on this: 5-10cms widely. More with elevation.

Just a quick question.

i am due to pick up family from East Midlands Airport at 7.30pm, Do you think this system will cause problems this far North.

i have a 4x4 so can travel, but may leave earlier to avoid poor conditions, if its bad, family can always book into airport hotel, haha.

anyone help out with sensible predictions, I,m coming down from Peak District so need to prepare carefully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

You should be OK with a 4x4, and the intensity will be such that gritters / ploughs will be able to cope on major roads.

Posted
1 minute ago, Glacier Point said:

You should be OK with a 4x4, and the intensity will be such that gritters / ploughs will be able to cope on major roads.

cheers , I might miss out M1, and go straight though City Centre and then ring road.

enjoy your snow. :)

Posted
4 minutes ago, marksp said:

Just a quick question.

i am due to pick up family from East Midlands Airport at 7.30pm, Do you think this system will cause problems this far North.

i have a 4x4 so can travel, but may leave earlier to avoid poor conditions, if its bad, family can always book into airport hotel, haha.

anyone help out with sensible predictions, I,m coming down from Peak District so need to prepare carefully.

4x4 will be fine. I'm driving to derby in a few hours  in a smart car. Might cancel I'll see in the next hour or so

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

So all models have the system stalling over the Midlands although it needs to intensify a bit to be heavy. Some massive drifts here still alot of the roads undriveable. Good luck everyone. :cold:

• Like 1