BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
3 minutes ago, el tiempo said:

Nice prog about winter of 63 on Beeb 4 now

Just checking it out.

Posted
1 minute ago, snowstorm27x said:

Never ending snow here, been a good snow event in the end and not over until the early hours. Chance of repeat tomorrow and Saturday. Up to 7/10 On my Beast from the East scale lol.

You were very downcast this morning! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, BhamBoy said:

You were very downcast this morning! 

Think we all were mate. Nothing like a bit of snow to cheer you up lol.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, weirpig said:

Good BBC forecast for tommorow. Possible disruption across brum. However uncertain track. Round 2 

This event reminds me a lot of Feb 8-9 2007. Totally different synoptics I know but that was a snow event on the Thursday followed by a complete surprise snow event the next day.

Both events a Thursday and Friday.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well, turned out to be a pretty eventful day for me :laugh: decided to head down to Oxford on my motorbike a day early to be with my family for my birthday weekend. Left Rushden around 2:30pm when it wasn't too bad. Main roads were clear, although light snow was falling.

As soon as I hit the Towcester area, the snow started getting heavier and was starting to settle on the A43! By the time I got just past Brackley, I had to pull into a layby as it was becoming too dangerous to carry on on my bike.

So there I was, freezing cold, stranded about 20 miles from Oxford not knowing what to do! Tried to ring my breakdown recovery but they had me on hold for ages. Luckily a man in a 4x4 pick up truck who was also heading to oxford pulled over for me and managed to get my bike on the back of his truck. 

If it wasn't for him, I genuinely think my life may have been in danger. Sounds far fetched but it was so cold, could have got hyperthermia fairly quickly and I was around a 2 mile walk from any shops etc! Lesson learned there, never head out on my motorbike when snow is forecast :laugh: in Oxford now and everything is covered in this fine, almost dust like snow! So powdery, never seen anything like it before.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Definitely some potential interest for tomorrow. Mind you, still interest in today! Snow is still coming down at a fair rate.

Posted

Something to watch out for on the models btw...I am seeing a little potential for a snow event end of next week with a southerly tracking jet and cold air coming back south. Could be similar to Dec 10 2017 event.

Too far away I know but there is potential. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

It's almost packed it's bags now, just a few grains which can just about be seen in the lamp light, it was a bit overrated, locally anyway.

Posted
1 hour ago, Natalie Till said:

Looking at that I don’t envisage going far tomorrow

1AA2CCD1-6B51-4575-A7DC-CEA9DF51EBB0.jpeg

I can see that van from my house ?? and the rest of the road !

I left our house at 3pm to do the school run. It was getting really bad really quick so went 15 mins early.

At 3.30pm cars were already struggling to get up Alexandra road. Then the normal traffic for rush hour just grinded to a halt.

Edited by DownwardI
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, DownwardI said:

I can see that van from my house ?? and the rest of the road !

It ain't that bad, i can see the hill in the background.

Posted
8 minutes ago, high ground birmingham said:

This event reminds me a lot of Feb 8-9 2007. Totally different synoptics I know but that was a snow event on the Thursday followed by a complete surprise snow event the next day.

Both events a Thursday and Friday.

Remember struggling back from bridge north on the Friday !!

Posted

The roads and pavements are being stripped bare of the small covering by the very strong wind. It looks like we've had a rapid thaw despite everything being dry and frozen. 

This easterly really isn't turning out to be what I expected. The low temperatures, severe windchill and strong wind blowing the powdery snow are cool. I just wish we could have had a decent amount of snow like so many other parts of the UK.

Posted

Pretty disappointing round here to be honest. Radar looks like all the good stuff has gone West and quite a bit of the midlands left with crappy snow grains. Cant see much more coming tonight now. Hope tomorrow will be better as the snow just hasnt been thick enough here for a proper dumping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Yeah the radar is showing nothing coming up to where I am. Well nothing like the met and beeb are predicting for the early hours. Pretty disappointing. All in all yes that fine dust blown on the wind was cool to watch but give me big flakes and a blizzard anyday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

We're out for the night it seems, so I shall retreat to bed as flying to Madrid in the morning from Birmingham. Typically potentially missing two more snow days which is frustrating. I just hope there is still snow around Monday.

Posted

I'm disappointed too but I suppose if it hadn't corrected east for a while this afternoon, we would have been even more out of the party. I'm hoping its been enough for a snow day for my boys - most schools are closed around here tomorrow.....except theirs 

Posted

And it is still snowing here with the small flakes! A great event...

All Birmingham schools closed tomorrow and chaos on the roads here! 

Cannot really tell the depth as a lot of it is in drifts.

Posted
26 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Good BBC forecast for tommorow. Possible disruption across brum. However uncertain track. Round 2 

Just comparing the high res models like Hirlam and Arpege and the 18z updates are both a good 100 miles further East and Southeast respectively than their 06z run.

• Like 1