Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

That little green blob on the radar is sticking to Coalville in Leics. Dad always used to say that 'the top of Ashby road is the coldest, snowiest place in the county' - and he lived there in 1947!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Still clear skies here but all forecasts have altered to give us varying amounts of overnight snow. My chap is working from home tomorrow, which is a relief - one fewer car on the roads... 

We're still in BOTH of the warning areas, and I really do wonder how unusual that is, weather systems from opposing directions trying to clash in the middle over our little flat! 

image.thumb.png.a451bf48bd24e1067f5ac4be956a8b61.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
Just now, MKN said:

Strange call as the radar intensifies to the east lol

Lol I no I just saw it starting to....I duno hope it gets heavy, Spose I’ll just look at the lamppost and see ?

Posted

The Hirlam model shows moderate bursts of snow getting right up to the North Midlands tonight. Hmm.

Much disparity in the output for tomorrow. The Hirlam, Aperge and ECM all look good. GFS, NMM and Euro4 look rubbish.

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

The Hirlam model shows moderate bursts of snow getting right up to the North Midlands tonight. Hmm.

Much disparity in the output for tomorrow. The Hirlam, Aperge and ECM all look good. GFS, NMM and Euro4 look rubbish.

The 18z?

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

darker blues to my east, may miss to the east, still light snow here

Looks like we'll be right on the Western edge of it, if it is moving NW then we should pass through it, if however, it's still moving North then we'll just keep to that western edge.  

Posted

When the wind drops I can see it’s now ‘proper’ snow, rather than the funny stuff that has been raining down all afternoon, it’s prope flakes, goodness knows what we will wake up to, it’s like the day after tomorrow ?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
34 minutes ago, VeryCold said:

Warwick snow shield at maximum power.....singlehandedly blocking the progress north..lol

This is the only time you'll ever hear me say this.....'I wish we had a South to  South Westley' we would be buried :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Not out yet. Starts updating at half 9.

It's about 9.30pm for the  GFS 18z.

Posted

Just been to an exposed hilly common by mine, whilst the general accumulation around here isn't great, the drifts on the common were unreal. Have a look at these.

1- entrance to the common (car park)

2- a picture of a drift

3- me knee deep in the drift

sorry, the pics aren't great.

@staffsnow you may want to head down there, it's right by yours I think.

IMG_9827.JPG

IMG_9831.JPG

IMG_9832.JPG

Edited by Staffordshire
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

This is the only time you'll ever hear me say this.....'I wish we had a South to  South Westley' we would be buried :laugh:

Just thought the same, if only it was warmer ??

Posted
3 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Just been to an exposed hilly common by mine, whilst the general accumulation around here isn't great, the drifts on the common were unreal. Have a look at these.

1- entrance to the common (car park)

2- a picture of a drift

3- me knee deep in the drift

sorry, the pics aren't great.

@staffsnow you may want to head down there, it's right by yours I think.

IMG_9827.JPG

For a brief second I thought that was a car buried in snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

When I look at the radar all the yellows are gradually moving west, I think at best we may get some green but it’s pretty much been blue the whole time imo here

Posted
1 minute ago, markw2680 said:

When I look at the radar all the yellows are gradually moving west, I think at best we may get some green but it’s pretty much been blue the whole time imo here

I’m only in Halesowen, it may not be giving snow depth, but it’s sure causing major problems, my street is now blocked and Stourbridge road is stationary in both directions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.

Green blob to my SE ....you never know might get here in 4 hours.....

Posted

I can report it's finally proper snowflakes here after a day of snow mist or snow drizzle!

Got a few of cms lying snow and mini drifts but the bigger stuff has finally arrived after being agonisingly close on the radar for the last couple of hours. Still in the Amber warning zone here so get checking those lampposts everyone!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Natalie Till said:

Just been sent that from someone in Wollescote, we ain’t going anywhere in the morning! 

983A3A5F-89C9-4D43-B424-96EE45DCD74C.png

Well that's three times more than i've had!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Natalie Till said:

I’m only in Halesowen, it may not be giving snow depth, but it’s sure causing major problems, my street is now blocked and Stourbridge road is stationary in both directions

Cuz I’m on a hill here I can’t really see how bad it actually is as it just blows straight off the road, apart from large patches the road here is fairly clear but there are drifts of around a foot lol

Posted
3 minutes ago, Natalie Till said:

Stourbridge Road/Drews Holloway always bad in weather like this, Mucklow Hill and Furnace Hill also stuff, everywhere out of Halesowen either up or down a hill

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Does the ecm look good for snow tomorow for us still?