Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, MKN said:

I think our best hope as a region is that as it approaches it gives this light snow thats around a bit of a kick so we get something that give at least a complete covering from it. 

This is pretty much what I'm looking for. Anyone due north of Birmingham or east, you want the eastern side of the PPN to expand as far eastwards as possible whilst retaining as much of its intensity as possible. For example, I know that if we get any of the main band to say, Leicester, then it HAS to either completely evaporate or it will travel NNW right over Derbyshire, Staffordshire etc. 

So that's what I'm aiming for. When it gets dark, even snow of the intensity of today will start to cover side roads and foot paths again. 

The main 'event' as such was never going to arrive away from Hereford, Gloucester etc - so operation 'cream as much from the rest' is in full flow - how many do I have joining me? ?

Posted
4 minutes ago, gig1968 said:

I agree this light stuff just blows all the way round the roads.

Its going to blow sideways and whirlwinds of snow.

Posted

Home early from raf shawbury , base closed due to snow and mainly -14 windchill freezing pipes everywhere 

not much snow in pelsall bits blowing around 

just having heavier burst last 10 mins ❄️❄️❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

Dandruff blowing as per expectation here in Coventry nothing settling. This cold spell seems like started years ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

That fine snow just just increased intensity, maybe something is kicking in above, or maybe not, can't really tell due to the wind. Nah then again no, it's easing off again and sky looks a little brighter.

Edited by DIS1970

Posted

I hate to moan but it's a shame the beast has been such a damp squib for this part of the world.

We've just been unlucky with the main fronts / steamers missing us I guess, as I know we used to do very well for snow from this kind of setup in yesteryear.

Still, it's been very cold and we do have some snowcover at least.

Posted
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield

3 inches In Alrewas just south of Burton, another shower just started

Edited by Corleone

Posted

Looking at the radar, I reckon that large band of heavy snow currently moving up over the south coast is going to wallop most of the Midlands later this evening. It's already too big and too far east for it not to.

Bish 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Bishop Brennan said:

Looking at the radar, I reckon that large band of heavy snow currently moving up over the south coast is going to wallop most of the Midlands later this evening. It's already too big and too far east for it not to.

Bish 

I thought that too? Although it could sheer away to the west before long. i'd like to think the forecasts are wrong, and that we get a decent event.  Just no power cuts lol

• Like 1

Posted

I'm with you bishop I think your right in your thoughts I may be wrong but I thought this earlier just didn't seem to follow the forecast path

Posted
7 minutes ago, nobble said:

Home early from raf shawbury , base closed due to snow and mainly -14 windchill freezing pipes everywhere 

not much snow in pelsall bits blowing around 

just having heavier burst last 10 mins ❄️❄️❄️

Yeah not much round this little region north of Walsall is there, but it is coming has been coming down quite heavily again now though it's very fine and powdery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, weirpig said:

iconeu-1-2-0.png?01-15

Thats the icon starting postion  Looks out  already  will it effect anything?.

If that's the case the West Mids could get hammered later. Expect warnings to be extended soon.

Posted

Just this fine dandruff falling from the sky, No moisture in the air I am guessing.

Is this likely to change. We are quite far south in the midlands (Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border) but I have not seen anything resembling snow rates that will give 4 inches we were advised of.

Not at all sure about this.......

Posted

Midlands Today forecast earlier seemed pretty convinced a decent area of the Midlands will get a good covering from 4pm onwards, especially the West Midlands.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

Just been out to fill the coal bucket for the second time today. The wind is really getting up now.

Edited by swipe

Posted
1 minute ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I thought that too? Although it could sheer away to the west before long. i'd like to think the forecasts are wrong, and that we get a decent event.  Just no power cuts lol

Yes, in fairness there is still time for it to nudge NW. But the eastern extent should mean that more of us are likely to get in on the action that was previously thought.

Not a direct hit, but a hefty glancing blow :ninja:

Bish

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Yeah not much round this little region north of Walsall is there, but it is coming has been coming down quite heavily again now though it's very fine and powdery.

Not much really but last 20 mins all surfaces covered by this heavy fine  snow shame it won't be really deep tomorow as I'll be off and could enjoy it ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
Just now, WalsallWeather123 said:

BBC on their forecast showed Storm Emma clipping Portsmouth at 15:00 but the radar shows that it's actually 40-50 east at Brighton which is very good for MIdlands especially West. I think BBC app forecast will be very accurate

Hope so, positive thinking...