Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Staffordshire said:

6cm!! That's great considering we have 1-2cm in places at best, the grass isn't fully covered.

not everywhere 'cos of the wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

so far happy with this event, around 6cms in places, but it's so windy, not much in other places, not as effective as 10 Dec, as cover not as complete due to the wind

main band is way off to the SW at the moment, we getting flurries ahead of it now, similar to 17th Jan '13

Meanwhile in Birmingham we have a millimetre or so in the drifts lol

Snow is just blowing around in the wind like powder!

Posted

Light to moderate snow here blowing around. Not making a great deal of difference to surface cover but still nice nonetheless. Probably a couple of cms on the surfaces it hasn't been blown away from so not to bad and certainly better than nothing. I'm actually enjoying this spell for its cold alone now though as its been a long time since it was this cold during the middle of the day. It's really bitter out there especially with the added wind chill. Still could get a more significant cover yet though so fingers crossed.

Posted
4 minutes ago, staffsnow said:

Just started snowing again with the wind really picking up

A fellow Burntwooder! I'm just up the road towards the common in Gentleshaw but work in Lichfield, where abouts in Burntwood do you live?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.
3 minutes ago, Natalie Till said:

I would have loved to see snow much like everyone else, but, wow this cold is something else, feels arctic out in Brum today, not been this cold skiing!

Yeah it does have a very 'siberian' feel out there!  I was walking through Birmingham city centre yesterday during a mini blizzard and it felt sooo cold and bitter!  a real experience :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Snows picked up in Shrewsbury again after a couple of hours of nothing. Look to be under light moderate snowfall for a fir few hours year looking at the radar as it inches north. Might fragment though. Unlike yesterday, hardly any snowmelt in the dry spells, two days of low ground temps and below zero today has helped. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Gord said:

I thought Liverpool copped a lot of snow on Tuesday? Have they really got nothing there? Some parts of the northwest really do deserve better. At least we do get in on some events here in the West Mids.

Im in the north west and we got drifts up to 4 foot in Oldham. :-)

Posted
15 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Light to moderate snow here blowing around. Not making a great deal of difference to surface cover but still nice nonetheless. Probably a couple of cms on the surfaces it hasn't been blown away from so not to bad and certainly better than nothing. I'm actually enjoying this spell for its cold alone now though as its been a long time since it was this cold during the middle of the day. It's really bitter out there especially with the added wind chill. Still could get a more significant cover yet though so fingers crossed.

A little more intensity again now, looking forward to the dog walk later !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Im in the north west and we got drifts up to 4 foot in Oldham. :-)

now that's just showing off!:diablo: lol

Posted

What a frustrating cold spell. Showers dying on approach, streamers missing by a few miles, snow struggling to stick/melting, too far west, too far north, 20 miles outside Amber warnings a few times. Looks tomorrow has downgraded as well.

Posted
1 minute ago, V for Very Cold said:

now that's just showing off!:diablo: lol

No way lol..

Tbh western fringes of my region have nothing or next to nothing..my proximity to the pennines has helped massively.

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

What a frustrating cold spell. Showers dying on approach, streamers missing by a few miles, snow struggling to stick/melting, too far west, too far north, 20 miles outside Amber warnings a few times. Looks tomorrow has downgraded as well.

light flurries for us for rest of event, Saturday evening could be our best chance

Posted
1 minute ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Much heavier now with more moderate sized flakes. Hope it keeps up.

picked up here too, little microflakes but lots of 'em

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Looks like the bands are merging across Staffs now.

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

light flurries for us for rest of event, Saturday evening could be our best chance

Considering today a couple of days ago was supposed to be our best chance, then yesterday tomorrow now today it's Saturday we can't really get too excited by that. Maybe we'll catch a break yet though. Not that its bad at the moment mind, just somewhat underwhelming compared to other places.

Posted

Guys come on , this isn't over yet keep watching the radar.  

Hardly got any on the ground here but still enjoying it.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Lol im afraid thats it for the majority of the midlands well if you live in hereford you must be doing the snow dance

Posted
19 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I work for Vaisala, who some of you may have heard of with regard to weather sensors and systems, in their Birmingham office. I get to see a lot of data, particularly related to road weather, and can say that this cold spell is exceptional both in intensity and extent and especially for this time of the year. It is comparable to anything I've seen in the last 30 years in this line of work. At 1100 this morning only 6 of the 1200 or so road weather stations I can view data from in the UK and ROI were above 0C, and these were, with one exception, right on the NE coast. Nowhere in Cornwall was warmer than -2.5C and a station within a few km of Land's End was reporting -4C. I was in Finland yesterday, where at 8am it was -24C, but it felt no colder than the dog walk I went on here first thing this morning !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1