Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter
37 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

You have 5cm!! Nothing more than a dusting here, the grass isn't even covered properly. :sorry:

Same here in leicester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Why are people saying it's over already ? Just check the GEM, ARPEGE, HIRLAM... it's not done, it's barely started. Precipitation will move north and even gain intensity according to the models for the next 6 hours. Sure, the above 3 could be wrong, but they have beat the usual top dogs with this situation so far (GFS, EURO4 etc).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Easing off here. Latest radar not to promising right now tbh. 

Posted

Snow for last couple of hours, small flakes but deceptively heavy, about another cm, 4cm or so depth but some piling up against walls, kerbs, fences.

4 consecutive months with lying snow- first time since Dec 95-Mar 96. 15 days for 2017-18 now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Its not bad bad here but just tried to drive my wife to work and its a snow go..

Looks like now the line from the east will just come across with burton on the edge in the light stuff but that is better than nothing id say about 2 inches.

But do not bother travelling.

Posted

Dying back to the East. Just a few flakes in the wind now. Nice bonus though. Hard to estimate a total, probably 5-7 cms, but varying from blown bare to 20 cm drifts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

snowing here very lightly but it is bitterly cold and windy I do have to agree with swipe that this has been a really over hyped called spell  many of you I know wouldn’t agree but this is how it is 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Morning folks on this  very confusing situation...

The snow here started at about 07:00, and has gradually got heavier. 

It is now classed as light to moderate.

Temperatures are really quite remarkable with a minimum o/n of -7.1C, DP of -10.8C

It is now at -4.7C  with a dp  of -8.9 and a wind chill of -12.6C ( currently in 9.2kmh winds)..

I see that MO have just woken up to the threats for today, and are now forecasting up to 50cms for the SW, with fall rates of 5cms per hour for the hills. That is a real blizzard. Will we see any of it? That is the real question..

We will have a much greater chance if the low extends east wards up the Channel, as all the models have a played with over the last 2 days. Fingers crossed. I think the snow this morning is similar to  the last 2 or 3 days, when here in the West Mids, it has needed a bit of mixing to start the snow falling...  this may change later on today

It looks as if the cold air has picked up moisture from the North Sea, and it is about to be supplemented by moisture from the South, coming up via NE France via storm Emma.

MIA

Edit snow getting lighter.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 3

Posted

Morning all :cold:

Very surprised to see the radar this morning, I thought this wasn't supposed to develop until much later this afternoon. Or is that still a separate thing?

Very dull here with a howling wind and steady persistent snow. Currently -4.4°C with a dp of -7.3°C

Bish

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Stopped now, this is dying a rapid death. Sun's out now, a thaw will start now!.

Edited by DIS1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

The cold has been impressive over the past 48 hours, looks quite bleak outside with the wind really blowing now, I bet Dartmoor and Exmoor will be something to behold today!

Snow wise it’s been very disappointing though, think we got more here in Feb 05 and that was pretty poor. Just seems everything has missed the central area, we’re just too far west, too far south and for the next 24 hours, too far north & East!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
1 minute ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Morning all :cold:

Very surprised to see the radar this morning, I thought this wasn't supposed to develop until much later this afternoon. Or is that still a separate thing?

Very dull here with a howling wind and steady persistent snow. Currently -4.4°C with a dp of -7.3°C

Bish

Nope, it wasn't supposed to according to the models. But as Chris Fawkes pointed out, the radar for France showed a very different situation to what the models showed. Hirlam, Arpege and GEM actually were closest. GFS and EURO4 were noway near. So they had the weather wrong at T0 for france, so it's no surprise they are so far out with this ppn coming into England so progressively.

I've been on here 5 or so years, never seen the models all get something so wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
1 minute ago, V for Very Cold said:

been snowing heavily from 7:30 onwards...just starting to lighten up now!

grrrr was hoping for a snow day lol

Oh I think it will snow most of the day, but think Birmingham area will struggle to get much more than a cm or two. Still that’s more than we’ve had so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Topped out with 2 inches. Showers retreating back to the coast now. So dry. Let the thaw begin. 

Expecting more light stuff later. 

Posted
1 minute ago, kmanmx said:

Nope, it wasn't supposed to according to the models. But as Chris Fawkes pointed out, the radar for France showed a very different situation to what the models showed. Hirlam, Arpege and GEM actually were closest. GFS and EURO4 were noway near. So they had the weather wrong at T0 for france, so it's no surprise they are so far out with this ppn coming into England so progressively.

I've been on here 5 or so years, never seen the models all get something so wrong.

The main bulk of precip gfs will be right on though. Perhaps its a resolution issue and its just the very light stuff thats more widespread. Stopped here now just about with barely a dusting still. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

For all my moaning about the lack of snow and Nottingham snow shield it hasn't stopped snowing for hours. We must have a good 4-5 inches of lying snow :cold::friends:. i haven't even attempted to get to work as my usual commute is around an hour and a 15 minutes, working remotely is a bonus! Plus I get to walk the dog in these wonderful conditions 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
1 minute ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Topped out with 2 inches. Showers retreating back to the coast now. So dry. Let the thaw begin. 

Expecting more light stuff later. 

I think you'll get the heavy stuff moving up from the south later on today. You could be in for a real snow fest :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!!

Have to say i'm absolutely gutted with this event, it has been absolutely dire for Birmingham and the Black Country.  The snow coming from the south looks to stop just below us, we have either been too far north, east south or west.

Naked wingwalking would be less painful than the last few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter

@shaky What do you think Leicesters chances are mate?

Posted

What's it looking like for north Nottinghamshire today and tomorrow?

struggling to work these latest charts as to how far north and east the event goes 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Vmistry said:

@shaky What do you think Leicesters chances are mate?

Looking good right now with all the heavier stuff to the south of us but we need it to push north asap!!