Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Been snowing all night here, most of it light but with some heavier bursts. Measured about 5cm outside, but that is in the centre of town. You can normally double that for the fields above Belper. Still snowing now too.

I am hoping that the snow from Emma can come much further north and east than forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
2 minutes ago, swipe said:

This has to be the most over-hyped non-event in weather history. I just want Spring to happen now to save on heating costs. This bitter cold with no snow does nothing for me.

What the hell are you on about this is bloody typical the country is snowbound with over a foot to come in some areas today and snow falling throughout the entire country as I speak I give up

• Like 5

Posted

Wow just taken a look at the radar and to my surprise that band has pepped up all the way to the south midlands!!could be a better day for snow than i thought!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Complete blizzard whitout here.. All the air filled with snow.

• Like 2

Posted

I would be really surprised if we don’t get a decent fall today, it’s looking good. 

Posted

The radar is a puzzle this morning :D Snow almost anywhere and everywhere... I think its coming from E/SE and heading N/NW slightly. But its soo hard to tell as these are much larger showers that the streams of the last few days...

I can't make any of it out :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

Can't belive how diffrent the Met and BBC are from each other. Someone will be very Red faced.

Screenshot_20180301-073337.thumb.png.112edfc990eaa671e5f9a16cd7021e36.png

Screenshot_20180301-073254.thumb.png.d50a3a81bd4bbead27f779de36b4d29f.png

• Like 1

Posted

The windchill is something else today...had to psyche myself up to walk in it! 

Feel confident of snow in Birmingham later today 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, swipe said:

This has to be the most over-hyped non-event in weather history. I just want Spring to happen now to save on heating costs. This bitter cold with no snow does nothing for me.

I get that it is difficult when you miss out, I was starting to feel the same yesterday before the snow arrived. However, tell those people in SE Scotland that are completely cut off that is a "over-hyped non-event". Counties all down the eastern side of the country have had travel chaos. Later on we will likely be hearing about communities in the south-west cut off by snow. You only have to turn on the News to see this was not over-hyped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins
2 minutes ago, snowstorm27x said:

Can't belive how diffrent the Met and BBC are from each other. Someone will be very Red faced.

Didn't the BBC switch from using the ukmet to accuse at her or something similar.

Edited by Skyraker
Typo

Posted

Moderate snow falling here, covered everywhere yet the met have me dry on the app. Ignore the apps they are useless 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowstorm27x said:

Bonkers ain't it :D The met office for my part of Coventry shows nothing but grey today, but it's snowing (lightly) and the radar has loads of light snow around our area. 

Posted

The accumulation profile is very strange. No more than a dusting or couple of cm on roofs and car tops as it keeps being blown away, but in some sheltered spots it must be approaching 20cm now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Very odd looking radar but the snow actually continues to just get heavier. 5CM's now easily, moderate snow falling. Where has this come from? It's like we have built a mini stationary low over us. Just goes to show, if winds had stayed due E all throughout the week, we would have seen far more convective snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Skyraker said:

Didn't the BBC switch from using the unmet to accuse at her or something similar.

Yh the Metro Group I think today will be a true test.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

We've got light snow falling now after a dry night, perishing cold at -7'C minimum. Strong, bitterly cold wind blowing. Not that much snow cover, around 1 cm.

Posted

Been snowing in Northampton since about 5.30am. Light, but looking at the radar I wouldn't be surprised if it carries on for most of today!

• Like 1

Posted

Love how it’s intensifying overhead yet the heavier stuff is still making its way north. 

Posted

Well BBC wins round 1 it says snow now, Met says dry so 1.0 BEEP. But finally its snowing lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Morning yeah burton has some but its not great couple of cms. 

Anybody in Wolverhampton what has it been like there? as one of my wifes staff has said she can't make it to work. It does't look to me like they have had much at all?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh
12 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Surely that heat would set up a bigger gradient than that of the countryside?

Yes that was my thought. However exteme weather can sometimes do odd things,  i would think that the experts in weather forcasting will be going over the data for this wintry spell for a long time.

Posted
1 hour ago, Polar Maritime said:

Severe drifting and snow showers all night here.

Morning.

Same here, moderate snow since 3am, ppn of north sea just grouped together and moved east over the region :D.

not read the forums yet, but looks like Chris Fawkes call it correct ?? further east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
1 minute ago, kev238 said:

The forecasts are all over the place! The models are all over the place!

Yep, that's about right! This is such an unusual event (and getting more unusual, it now seems - a shortwave might yet develop, apparently, which would give us another 5-10 days of cold and potential snow...!!!)...