Posted
5 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Drifting and snow showers persist here,

Temp currently -7.6c.

Fun times.:D

Wonder if any more will make it here.

Posted
3 minutes ago, moorlander said:

Interesting comments today about snow melting rapidly and also diverting around large urban area's. 

Modern living ,concrete tarmac lack of green space snd my pet hate ripping up gardens to park more bloody motors, increase the heat absorbed from the sun by a large amount 

Surely that heat would set up a bigger gradient than that of the countryside?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Says it all. Taken from a tweet from Matt taylor

Those in SE Eng/Mids should also monitor forecasts over next 12hrs

weather on bbc website looked okayish, need a E shift for both systems

but I reckon Telford to be buried tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Currently -5.8c and the wind out there as proper picked up now....I can safely say "this is life freezer" :crazy: Also the 12z ECM persist with the cold well into next week :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
24 minutes ago, Vmistry said:

It seems like everyone in the midlands has at least a respectable covering apart from us snowless Leicester folk. How much has everyone had?

About 5cm in Corby Northants but a bit more where it had drifted.  Very strange today parts of northants had nothing then 10 miles north of here in Stamford had about 6 inches.

Edited by pegg24

Posted

Ended the day with a CM or 2, probably more like an inch in areas that were untouched and haven't been in sunlight - so decent overall and a big overachiever of a day. We needed that. One of the coldest walks home I can ever remember, it's truly bitter. The wind bites are your nose and ears. Very interested in the tweet Matt Taylor has sent out? Something to do with Storm emma, or perhaps some convection beforehand that has been picked up? If we can keep these flurries going from the Wash through the night then that's a bonus too. 

One thing I've noticed today - how hard has it been to reliably track winds? We seem to have gone from a SE wind, to an easterly, to NE and even now tracking this showers from the coast is hard!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

several cms here and now it is lethal out there, incredibly icy.

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

The latest BBC graphics are still showing the same as they were yesterday, bringing Thursdays low front as far as the central midlands. I think even the West Midlands could see a good covering from this as it seems to linger around for several hours.

,261804FE-9E07-48D4-90FF-0B804DED3B9D.thumb.png.a4dbf1a187e43f35f27224bfcbbf5336.png 

Then it goes onto show the Synoptics for Friday once again bringing the snow front through the Midlands:

CA5D3F5F-8C7D-455F-A06B-9479AF559F25.thumb.png.c1624396059270948e67e4d9607a3aec.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Just wondering why you thought that? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Ended the day with a CM or 2, probably more like an inch in areas that were untouched and haven't been in sunlight - so decent overall and a big overachiever of a day. We needed that. One of the coldest walks home I can ever remember, it's truly bitter. The wind bites are your nose and ears. Very interested in the tweet Matt Taylor has sent out? Something to do with Storm emma, or perhaps some convection beforehand that has been picked up? If we can keep these flurries going from the Wash through the night then that's a bonus too. 

One thing I've noticed today - how hard has it been to reliably track winds? We seem to have gone from a SE wind, to an easterly, to NE and even now tracking this showers from the coast is hard!

Yeah there's a lot of fuss in the MOD thread about a surprise shortwave which is looking to extend the easterly and potentially bring us more days of showers piling in off the coast. As close as 72hours! 

• Like 3

Posted

The one that hit us just after 3pm was incredible. Bigger than any of yesterday. Torrential snow + very windy looked amazing then drifting / full on white out. Haven't seen anything that intense since the early 90's. Pity they are only showers but you can't really expect prolonged stuff with that kind of intensity.  

Posted

Midlands today did look better for tonight in terms of keeping the showers going and getting them inland.

Looked very, very poor for those north and east of Birmingham + Shropshire. We really need a 50 mile shift eastwards to include Staffordshire and up towards stoke. 

Going to be one of those horrible, frustrating days of radar watching whether it all stays just a handful of miles away isn't it?

Posted

this reliable?  another 'That ECM' maybe, not supported though I don't think, but amazing snow run, no mild

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms
1 hour ago, bearing said:

At the old mill on Teddesley Road?

That's the one :)

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Thought the same about the winds myself, purely from looking out of the window, but all over the place!

Posted

Well got home from shawbury , 

shawbury had about 2cm of snow 

to hardly anything sugar coating blowing about , then at approx 6.35. Had a 15 minute intense shower wich was very heavy , left a good 1 maybe 2 cm in 15 mins , can see why people further east are getting a lot , 

edit ; just starting again !! 

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Kieran said:

The latest BBC graphics are still showing the same as they were yesterday, bringing Thursdays low front as far as the central midlands. I think even the West Midlands could see a good covering from this as it seems to linger around for several hours.

,261804FE-9E07-48D4-90FF-0B804DED3B9D.thumb.png.a4dbf1a187e43f35f27224bfcbbf5336.png 

Then it goes onto show the Synoptics for Friday once again bringing the snow front through the Midlands:

CA5D3F5F-8C7D-455F-A06B-9479AF559F25.thumb.png.c1624396059270948e67e4d9607a3aec.png

Bang in line with the ECM.

Posted
23 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

this reliable?  another 'That ECM' maybe, not supported though I don't think, but amazing snow run, no mild

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

Talking of the ECM, these are projected snow totals for Monday morning from them.  Absolutely bonkers!:D

weather.png

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Not looking good for the East Midlands at the moment.

Posted

weirpig, need a shift NE clearly, my guess for tomorrow is light snow flurries for here, Telford 8 inches, not got over Dec 8 yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
36 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

several cms here and now it is lethal out there, incredibly icy.

Well, all those times I’ve felt sorry for you Serendipity for not getting snow when I had some, I’m taking them right back! ?

Just a sprinkle here - not even a dusting really. Sigh.

• Like 1