Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
4 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Afternoon, I think we’ve got some pretty important 12Z runs, a eastwards and northwards shift would be preferable.

By tonight maybe we’ll have some satellite imagery to analyse?

Not gettin my hopee up about tomorrow or friday looks to far south

• Like 1

Posted

Can agree with Matt, here at home in Uttoxeter it settles briefly but melts within 30 mins even with full cloud cover. My only assumption is where the sun has shone previously then it therefore has warmed the surfaces even though the air temp is below freezing. We need snow during the evening I think and then for it to freeze to actually last.

• Like 2

Posted

I can't get over the strength of the sun. It's coldest day and heaviest snow I have seen since moving to Stoke and sun destroys it all almost as soon as it stops falling. Even with full cloud cover.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

like a blizzard again! but thaws as soon as it stops, that sun is mighty strong!

continental sky though, big cumulus and hazy, kinda looks like a summer sky

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
31 minutes ago, Cov87 said:

Not gettin my hopee up about tomorrow or friday looks to far south

No, nothing Thurs or Fri, looks like ending with a whimper, latest GFS has us 9° on Sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

No, nothing Thurs or Fri, looks like ending with a whimper, latest GFS has us 9° on Sunday

yip, all over bar the shouting, Been a fun few weeks following the charts though. Even though Coventry has had a poor showing of snow i have learned much

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

Missing the showers today snow early morning since then the odd flurry. BBC didn't look great for Thursday, Friday but we will see wich model is right. Glad you guys are getting snow especially Mattstoke.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Been under a couple of back to back showers in Shrewsbury Town centre and its left a small covering again and not melting away like yesterday. Looks like more showers brewing up east of us too. Probably won't amount to too much but think we might get a couple more showers over us before the deep freeze again tonight. Shawbury didn't get above -1 today. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, el tiempo said:

Coming down heavy & swirling now

Working now mate and near the Hosp on Hartshill Road. Been a reversal today with more in the Talke area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Just went for a 5 minute walk, extremely cold outside if you're walking into the headwind. Face went numb...:cold-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well that was a fun hour or so, bar anymore flurries today or tomorrow that looks our lot from the SW midlands northwards. We do appear to be going out with a slow, dry warm up and all the snow or interest south or north of us, massive whimper - but there's been some charts to look at and a great model viewing in the last 2-3 weeks, something too learn from as always. 

1 big thing to take from this is - even the best charts don't provide in everyone's 'IMBY' - no matter how good or bad they look. 

Still it's been a lot more fun this winter, ethic the most snow days and accumulating snow for many years. 

Enjoy any showers today is how I'm going to see it, it looks as thought it will almost certainly be that for at least the next 9 months or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

this easterly has bin crap for here. as for scotland they do well for snow even when we have crap winters.

Edited by syed2878

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Been some proper blizzard conditions here in the last 10 minutes with snow still falling. Been settling in places too! ❄️

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Been some proper blizzard conditions here in the last 10 minutes with snow still falling. Been settling in places too! ❄️

yep same here in Wolves   lovely to see

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

More showers now in the south of the region after a quiet 2 hours.

As just reported from Warwick it has now moved to Solihull and is blizzarding it down,

Temperature -2.8C and falling, Dew point at -8.7C with a windchill at -6.2C

Not all over yet lads!

MIA 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
2 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

this easterly has bin crap for here. as scotland they do well for snow even when we have crap winters.

It's actually very rare for Edinburgh to get more than 1-3 inches of snow - I lived there for 35 years and we had two snowy winters in 1979-80 and 2010-11. This current Red Warning is unprecedented. Most years, Edinburgh gets a couple of inches of wet snow that lies for a day or two turning to grey slush, or even gets none. That 2010 year you all go on about? The entire UK coated in snow except Edinburgh - because Edinburgh lies low, is next the sea, surrounded to Wst and South by snow-gobbling hills - so it only gets major snow from an Easterly like this, and they are rare...

As for the Highlands, well, yeah, they do get snow, but you'd expect them to as they are both higher altitude and further north. Like Canada and Russia get more snow than the Midlands, too :)

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Midlands Ice Age said:

More showers now in the south of the region after a quiet 2 hours.

As just reported from Warwick it has now moved to Solihull and is blizzarding it down,

Temperature -2.8C and falling, Dew point at -8.7C with a windchill at -6.2C

Not all over yet lads!

MIA 

Not at all   i shall be watching the 12z with interest   The postion of this low isnt nailed yet    we shall see later