Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Bit heartbreaking seeing reports from elsewhere this morning, however, I guess we got a nice event in December and also a couple weeks ago.

Lost interesting in the weather for the end of the week/weekend, not expecting anything and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

Posted

Morning all! What a bone-chillingly cold night that was, we eventually got down to exactly -6.0°C here in the end :cold:

For once I was actually happy to see it cloudy & dull when I opened the curtains this morning, yesterday got a bit frustrating watching the sun zap whatever snow had managed to make it this far.

So do we reckon those showers out to the east will make it across to our region?

Bish

Posted

Showers dying out just as they hit us again and no doubt the sun will find a way to thaw the remaining patchy snow despite temps of -5C. Bring on Monday when all this crap is over.

Guest Delete Me

Radar shows the snow dying out over Derby / Peak District before it hits Stoke :(

Thursday / Friday has also been downgraded for Stoke on the models, can't see it pushing any further north than Hereford!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Morning all! What a bone-chillingly cold night that was, we eventually got down to exactly -6.0°C here in the end :cold:

For once I was actually happy to see it cloudy & dull when I opened the curtains this morning, yesterday got a bit frustrating watching the sun zap whatever snow had managed to make it this far.

So do we reckon those showers out to the east will make it across to our region?

Bish

Yep Bish....

Minimum of -6.4C for me. DP of -7.9C.

Current at -4.7C.    Just started  up with a few flakes of snow and gradually getting heavier.

Cloudy and dull.

I think  we may  get a couple cms today, and it looks like more tomorrow.

So getting more interesting.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

Still have the covering from the shower at 5pm yesterday, blue skies and everything frozen.

14 days lying snow to the DJF quarter 2017-18. That's more than the same period in 12-13 (12 days). And it included the snow fest of 8-13 December which produced the greatest depth here for over 30 years. So a very good effort from 2017-18!

• Like 2

Posted

Well what can you say except another massive dose of disappointment for Nottingham again this morning, no snow whatsoever overnight that I can tell, if only one of those showers that came through yesterday had come through last night it may have been a different story. Doesn't look much shower wise today either & now Fridays event looks likes missing the East Midlands altogether. The real kicker though is normally Nottingham would do well out of this kind of set-up but aside the bitter cold today, another major disappointment.

Given we missed out on the December event over in the East, Winter 2017/18 is looking like another example of close but no cigar, with very little snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

It can be pretty frustrating living in the midlands ey... whether the system comes from the north, east, south or west.. it is always reduced in strength and intensity by the time it gets through to the middle of the country. It means we get scraps basically every type of system, and we will pretty much never get the highest snowfall totals. 

The only time I remember us doing better than anywhere else was an event several years ago where cold and warm air met over the midlands and the precipitation formed right above us. 

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

The change in wind direction has done us no favours. Looking at the radar, it's a touch South of East, meaning a much longer trek over the land. Probably looking for inland convection, which looks distinctly possible.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ryan05 said:

Well what can you say except another massive dose of disappointment for Nottingham again this morning, no snow whatsoever overnight that I can tell, if only one of those showers that came through yesterday had come through last night it may have been a different story. Doesn't look much shower wise today either & now Fridays event looks likes missing the East Midlands altogether. The real kicker though is normally Nottingham would do well out of this kind of set-up but aside the bitter cold today, another major disappointment.

Given we missed out on the December event over in the East, Winter 2017/18 is looking like another example of close but no cigar, with very little snow.

Yes don't know what the hell happened for us to miss out on an easterly. If someone said we would barely have a dusting 4 days into an easterly I would have laughed. Just missing out on everything this winter.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Yes don't know what the hell happened for us to miss out on an easterly. If someone said we would barely have a dusting 4 days into an easterly I would have laughed. Just missing out on everything this winter.

Do you normally do well with easterlies in Nottingham ?

They're always bad for us down here in south Leicestershire from what I can remember (north Leicester tends to do a bit better). a) They usually dissipate before arriving and b) There seems to be some kind airflow channel which mean showers nearly always go either north of south. Probably due to land topology, not sure, but seems to be the case.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I'm only 10 miles south of Nottingham and have 2" on the ground. 

Get on the bus.

https://youtu.be/VcfycEh_ncc

Edited by matty40s

Posted

Very light wisps of snow blowing around in Dudley today, temp at -4.4C with an overnight low I recorded of -6.7C.  Should be an ice day today and I would think we will get some snow showers, at times slightly heavy from around 1pm this afternoon.

Posted

Gut wrenching seeing so many areas of the country getting a pounding and most of us have virtually nothing. No doubt today will come to nothing and Thursdays and Fridays snow events will fall apart. Absolute load of rubbish this has been so far for most of the Midlands.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Gut wrenching seeing so many areas of the country getting a pounding and most of us have virtually nothing. No doubt today will come to nothing and Thursdays and Fridays snow events will fall apart. Absolute load of rubbish this has been so far for most of the Midlands.

South staffs is at least more favourable position wise than most of the midlands for the upcoming low... but yeah, still looks like it may not even reach as far as your area :(

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter

A visual representation of the Leicester snow shield ??

Screenshot_20180228-091712.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Vmistry said:

A visual representation of the Leicester snow shield ??

Screenshot_20180228-091712.jpg

Lol yeah. But that stuff just next to us is so light, you're not missing out on much :p

One day the midlands will get a 40cm dumping...one day...