Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Could get a surprise I suppose. Not overly optimistic mind, but nothing is set in stone in these situations so you never know really.

Posted

Gutted!  Hinckley did ok in December, but not spectacular 10cm...  We missed out Dec 2010 too, snow to the north and south of us but only hard hoar frosts in this area.  Where my parents lived they had snow to the knee (Mansfield).

personally want to see it fall, and if at all possible be a bit more ‘disruptive’and cover roads etc!  Nothing too extreme.  

Im off at the minute, where can I drive too, to see some of the white stuff? Is it safe.  Hahah

:D

Posted

Snow looks like its coming from the E / SE this morning (Was N / NE). So a definate change in the wind direction. Also means we should get that big patch of snow hitting Cov and the rest of the midlands in a couple of hours... hopefully

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter
4 minutes ago, Nicky Shepherd said:

Gutted!  Hinckley did ok in December, but not spectacular 10cm...  We missed out Dec 2010 too, snow to the north and south of us but only hard hoar frosts in this area.  Where my parents lived they had snow to the knee (Mansfield).

personally want to see it fall, and if at all possible be a bit more ‘disruptive’and cover roads etc!  Nothing too extreme.  

Im off at the minute, where can I drive too, to see some of the white stuff? Is it safe.  Hahah

:D

2010 was the worst, dry as a bone here in LE3. Went to the German market in bham where the snow was about 7 inches. Drove back to Leicester that evening and there was zilch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well the radar shows nothing but it’s actually snowing albeit light but it’s snowing and there’s a covering everywhere 

Posted
1 minute ago, Brrrrr! said:

Snow looks like its coming from the E / SE this morning (Was N / NE). So a definate change in the wind direction. Also means we should get that big patch of snow hitting Cov and the rest of the midlands in a couple of hours... hopefully

Annoyingly, it's hitting a brick wall through Oxfordshire, and dying out. 

We really are terribly unlucky in this region when it comes to any snowfalls more than an inch

Posted
1 minute ago, Cov87 said:

What about the gfs and ecm this.morning??

ECM looks good. GFS not brilliant but better than last night.

-6'C here and it's snowing!

Posted
1 minute ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Annoyingly, it's hitting a brick wall through Oxfordshire, and dying out. 

We really are terribly unlucky in this region when it comes to any snowfalls more than an inch

Don't say that :(;)

This looks more lively that what's failed earlier, with added precipitation behind it, so it should make it this time. Met office also predicting that lot will make land in CV world :)

Posted

I suppose somebody's bound to miss out in these situations. I suppose it must be our turn. Hopefully not but at least we did pretty well in December when most of the country got diddly squat. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

ECM looks good. GFS not brilliant but better than last night.

-6'C here and it's snowing!

Stole this image from the south west forum not sure how accurate this model is..

Screenshot_20180228-072949.jpg

Posted
Just now, Brrrrr! said:

Don't say that :(;)

This looks more lively that what's failed earlier, with added precipitation behind it, so it should make it this time. Met office also predicting that lot will make land in CV world :)

I hope you're right!!

I've just made a facebook post saying it's going to stay snowless. let's see how the gods react to that lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

-4.2'C here, light snow falling. We only have a dusting lying. We're on an Amber warning from lunchtime tomorrow through Friday - should be interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

-5c and just started v light snow. Nowt on radar? 

possibly some showers heading this way. Never say never:)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Cov87 said:

Stole this image from the south west forum not sure how accurate this model is..

Screenshot_20180228-072949.jpg

Fingers crossed. Then again we could get a surprise big snowfall at some point. I remember the 18th Dec 10 was ok but it never got particularly deep unlike a lot of places. Then on the morning of the 22nd we had loads which was really the one snowfall here which saved that cold spell here from been quite ok to absolutely brilliant, so later in the week into the weekend we could get our turn at some point hopefully. Today might turn out better yet even still I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
5 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I suppose somebody's bound to miss out in these situations. I suppose it must be our turn. Hopefully not but at least we did pretty well in December when most of the country got diddly squat. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Yep, my thinking too - I'm enjoying the excitement of the charts and forecasts, learning more about how models work, and seeing how the different systems struggle to comprehend how this particular set-up works. 

And one of the things I've really struggled with since moving south from Scotland is the dismal grey miserable dull late-winter/spring weather so to have these clear crisp properly-cold days is WONDERFUL! Honestly, people go on about Scotland never getting any sun, but Jan and Feb are more often than not bright blue skies and beautiful sunshine like the last few days, with this invigorating exhilarating cold to walk in... between the spring gloom in Englandshire and the dreadful dark evenings in summer, I have found it a very different place to live in. 

So I'm enjoying this cold weather, with or without snow! Like on of Terry Pratchett's trolls, I wake up and feel more alert when it's properly cold :) It's a little challenging working round no central heating but we've been fine so far, it's a good little flat with decent double-glazing :)

Stay safe, people, and enjoy the glorious cold! :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

Morning all, Arpege is the 'best' for snowfall in the West Midlands, though once again another eastwards shift would be preferable. I also think the Warnings may well be updated today and hopefully they may extend NE a little more to cover the West Midlands Conurbation...does anyone else think the Met Office will update there warnings today? :)

Posted
2 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Morning all, Arpege is the 'best' for snowfall in the West Midlands, though once again another eastwards shift would be preferable. I also think the Warnings may well be updated today and hopefully they may extend NE a little more to cover the West Midlands Conurbation...does anyone else think the Met Office will update there warnings today? :)

I doubt that at the moment the forecast for anywhere north of south mids on the met office site is rather dry even through to the weekend..

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
6 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

I dont see it currently, think today will see convected showers make it in and then melt as sun gains strength. 00z runs shows much less snow making it into west midlands for thursday but hereford and worcester would be my pick for a good dump. None of the forecasts seem to want to call friday yet so that will be the day if more western and northern areas are going to get anything substantial

Edited by stokepa31
  • Thanks 1