Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Sun is out now, so what ever fell overnight is melting rapidly, so if we do get any showers later i'd be very suprised if much, if any would settle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Friday's front a bit further north on GFS 6Z! looks quite snowy from late afternoon, 6pm Friday over most of our region

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Morning everyone.

Well looks like we just missed out on the low.

It is just to far north west.

Been seeing flakes since 7:15 here.

Edit -  it is now looking likely that the cold will hang on until at least Sunday. It is 50:50 that we could see 72hours of snowy weather with the warm up. Keep the faith.

Good and balanced view of morning, edited above not to take up to much space.

I still think things look potentially good for midlands for Thursday thru to Saturday based on current information, as MIA says keep faith, Sure overnight was a little disappointing but its only just missed us others are doing well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Fridays event looks like it will constantly change run to run, so it will or should be called a nowcast nearer the time.

• Like 1

Posted

That is a very good run from the GFS for the Midlands. The lack of any mention of snow in the Met Office written forecasts is bizzare. I think the end of the week is the best hope for those of us in the west of the region, bar the odd snow shower today and tomorrow. It's all over the place for the end of the week though.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
48 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Lol it's not him, it's the forum auto-correcting certain phrases. I think it dates back several years ago when the same poster (Ian Brown I think?) kept repeating the same few words to such an extent he was driving everyone barmy. So the mods applied an auto-correct to make him look silly.

Bish

I remember his "smoking gun" about David Cameron. That never appeared as it was utter dog biscuits <-- swear filter :D

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Friday's front a bit further north on GFS 6Z! looks quite snowy from late afternoon, 6pm Friday over most of our region

prectypeuktopo.png

When you compare it to the 06z yesterday for same time that front is a lot slower and further south!!expect further southward push of the cold or a delay to any mild weather!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

That is a very good run from the GFS for the Midlands. The lack of any mention of snow in the Met Office written forecasts is bizzare. I think the end of the week is the best hope for those of us in the west of the region, bar the odd snow shower today and tomorrow. It's all over the place for the end of the week though.

I am not convinced at all at the moment, I think it will stay south of us, areas like Swindon will do well, maybe a cm or 2 for us in Central/North midlands. Pretty sure GFS is still being too progressive with the low.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

I am not convinced at all at the moment, I think it will stay south of us, areas like Swindon will do well, maybe a cm or 2 for us in Central/North midlands. Pretty sure GFS is still being too progressive with the low.

ECM looks similar but brings larger amounts of snow.

Posted

whilst the models etc may show snow, if your pining for snow be pessimistic, look outside whatever snow you have now is all you will get, that way there will be no disappointment, a pessimist is never disappointed.

On the plus side the current weather beats dull damp overcast mild muck.

Posted

We honestly won't know about Thu/Fri till 12/24 hours before. It won't be a rainy washout tho, I'm sure of that. it will be cold, we will probably get snow. And thats from the GFS and METO

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ECM looks similar but brings larger amounts of snow.

180227_0000_78.png  180227_0000_84.png   180227_0000_90.png

Just to illustrate your point.  Ecm Brings the front in slightly earlier  and again heavy snow across the Midlands

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Another dusting bringing the total depth up to... er... a thick dusting. :D Min last night -3.1 °C; now -0.4 °C and climbing slowly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Wow...

Just got a heavy snow shower from nowhere.....

Snow is breaking out in front of the showery band, and is heavy.

cannot believe what is happening on the radar.

Will it last?

All this with the sun shining?

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

Going to upset most of you now, we have absolute whiteout conditions in the City of Nottingham now, really heavy snow falling for 20 minutes, literally cannot see the other side of the road, settling everywhere including main roads. Only an hour ago Radio Nottingham was saying we had missed the worst as it would pass to our North, they were wrong

• Like 3

Posted

Whiteout with visibilityvdown to 200m. More like it.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ryan05 said:

Going to upset most of you now, we have absolute whiteout conditions in the City of Nottingham now, really heavy snow falling for 20 minutes, literally cannot see the other side of the road, settling everywhere including main roads. Only an hour ago Radio Nottingham was saying we had missed the worst as it would pass to our North, they were wrong

That wont upset us kid   glad someones getting some snow.   Radar looks a bit better aswell  all good.

• Like 2

Posted

I just want to get someone to enlighten me. I’ve always wanted to know why it is so difficult to get showers across in this country even across relatively flat land? Whereas in Europe (Germany, France, Italy etc), it is much easier to get snow across even though the cold air is travelling across land and not sea.

ive always wanted to know the answer to this question...please enlighten me. Many thanks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Dry and sunny.

but a convective sky, cloud from that low gone, few flurries possible, but expect thaw as soon as it stops

Posted

As others have said, very heavy snow in Nottingham at the moment, heaviest I've seen in some time.  Was watching it on the radar heading this way, but definitely heavier than I expected.  Decent covering and still coming down for now.

Edited by Hughsey