Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Nothing on the radar but some tiny flakes falling here. Just a light dusting here from last night. Incoming showers are fizzling out as they approach Coventry so we probably won't see much today at this rate unless things pep up a bit. It would be very interesting for the Midlands if the GEM 0z forecast for Thursday and Friday turned out to be accurate but best not to get our hopes up too much!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
10 minutes ago, Herefordweather said:

You’ve got to be honest though, it’s a rather pathetic easterly so far when you compare it to previous events and the hype last week. 

I guess, but personally I never expected any different. My memory is not the best but I can never really remember easterlies delivering here. Just too far inland, the precipitation dies down as it arrives, and the case of showers seeming to go north, south, east and west of your location of course is genuinely frustrating! but it's pretty much as expected. I never really like easterlies. I prefer a massive huge band of precipitation the size of England to devour the entire country :)

I guess I am not dissapointed because I just didn't expect much in the first place. Still, we have a low coming up and delivering something Thurs/Fri/Sat, and that is still to play for. So fingers crossed.

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Herefordweather said:

You’ve got to be honest though, it’s a rather pathetic easterly so far when you compare it to previous events and the hype last week. 

It’s trqcked further north. It’s made it as far as the west coast so hardly pathetic. Plus it’s only really the first batch. I’m sure you’ll get some soon enough. Good model watching next few days

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

think we had ours in Dec, someone else's turn now maybe, 

poor winter again compared to childhood 80'-90's, but not bad for the large teapot, 

next best event 2cms evening of 10th, gone by afternoon of 11th, few other wet snow events but pants really

You're getting really tiring with your 'large teapot' and 'Christmas pudding' phrases. You even referred to 2010 (when we had our coldest Winter since 1979 and second coldest December since 1659) as 'Christmas pudding' even though we had the most idyllic Christmas weather that certainly you or I would have yet seen in this region. The only thing Christmas pudding about it was the name of the days traditional after dinner dessert. You'd probably say the same in a 1683/84 rerun. 

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Cov87 said:

Tweet from our local forecaster from the coventry and Warwickshire area has he had one to many glasses of wine???

Screenshot_20180227-090732.jpg

Must be hammered. 

Posted

Thing is, this wasn't hyped by the Met Office or Meteoweather. Thy hype train came mainly from amateurs and enthusiasts... Oh, and the Express, who are sailing papers, not true journalism. Met Office has played a blinder, it didn't jump on the Snowmageddon bandwagon, just predicted cold weather and snow. Released warnings accordingly...

Also, it is the beast from the east as temperatures are struggling above freezing, and for end of Feb/beginning of March it still a truly remarkable period of weather. The best brings temperatures down, we shouldn't expect to much snow as far inland as this from the east. Also, theirs plenty of snow in favoured locations for this type of setup.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

You're getting really tiring with your 'large teapot' and 'Christmas pudding' phrases. You even referred 2010 (when we had our coldest Winter since 1979 and second coldest December since 1659) as 'Christmas pudding' even though we had the most idyllic Christmas weather that certainly your or I would have yet seen in this region. The only thing Christmas pudding about it was the name of the days traditional after dinner dessert. You'd probably say the same in a 1683/84 rerun. 

Lol it's not him, it's the forum auto-correcting certain phrases. I think it dates back several years ago when the same poster (Ian Brown I think?) kept repeating the same few words to such an extent he was driving everyone barmy. So the mods applied an auto-correct to make him look silly.

Bish

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cov87 said:

Tweet from our local forecaster from the coventry and Warwickshire area has he had one to many glasses of wine???

Screenshot_20180227-090732.jpg

Sounds about right to me. Possibility of snow! and yes, its a historic period in weather in Cov if the temperature maintains its current downward sprial :D Even if we don't get snow :)

• Like 1

Posted

New day so new hope that the shower activity is better for all in the midlands. I wonder how long this lasts before it all goes quiet on the shower front? I predict 11am! Lol. Had a small dusting last night and current conditions in Hinckley are cloudy with snow blowing around in the wind. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

You're getting really tiring with your 'large teapot' and 'Christmas pudding' phrases. You even referred to 2010 (when we had our coldest Winter since 1979 and second coldest December since 1659) as 'Christmas pudding' even though we had the most idyllic Christmas weather that certainly you or I would have yet seen in this region. The only thing Christmas pudding about it was the name of the days traditional after dinner dessert. You'd probably say the same in a 1683/84 rerun. 

Well said 

all about personal perception I suppose , best winter for a long while for days of falling snow , November , December , January , February , and probably march ! 

One very good event mid December , not so many frosts but ....

been bitterly cold since Sunday afternoon , with windchill increasing , and still chances for surprises to pop up with all this really cold air about !!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Based on the GFS model anytime from now through till perhaps 6pm this evening looks like the best shot for today so hopefully we see continued activity around the wash.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

small flakes blowing around in the wind, wetting the ground though, similar to 3 weeks ago today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms

Those showers look like heading straight to Coventry or Warickshire area in the next hour or so they look quite heavy also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

A barely noticeable dusting which has melted fast with the temperature at -2'C and full cloud cover.

yes, all thawed here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

GFS Says for this afternoon:

Netweather GFS Image

Not sure how well GFS handles this data and at short range.

Obviously still needs those showers getting inland.  To me if I was to interpret this into something more meaningful I would say chance of showers popping up anywhere in that pink region.  I would not expect a white out or winter wonderland TBH. Anything heavier would simply be ace.

EURO 4 showing precip as well for same time period. Nothing heavy.

Lots of factors involved but no reason to write the next day or two off.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Morning everyone.

Well looks like we just missed out on the low.

It is just to far north west.

Been seeing flakes since 7:15 here.

Now very small with the sun shining, but still there. Snizzle I suppose.

Looks like we will have to rely upon snow showers now for any decent accumulations for the next 2 days.

The 'polar' low has cut off the Easterlies for 12hours, but it is due back this pm. So one never knows.

Any current weather  - fair, with a few 'floaty' fast moving clouds which are producing the snizzle.

Min Temp o/n    -3.6C  DP   -7.8C at 05:00. 

Current is at -0.3C (in sun) and a dewpoint of -4.7C.

0.5cms of snow on ground  - and I am now at 15 days with snow falling and 19 days with a snow cover.

Winds light NNE.

MIA 

Edit -  it is now looking likely that the cold will hang on until at least Sunday. It is 50:50 that we could see 72hours of snowy weather with the warm up. Keep the faith.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1