Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold
2 minutes ago, Osamasbinsledgin said:

Travelling in from sunny Spain to Birmingham International, arriving early Wednesday morning, any views on here if the airport will be closed affected

Unlikely to be affected to the point it's closed. Some delays at worst, but equally likely there are not even delays at all. Very hard to say as much of the precipitation is coming from showers, and it's pretty much random as to where will and won't get hit.

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 1

Posted

Hahaha see what you mean about the met office app. 30 mins ago in Kidsgrove (Stoke on Trent), they had Friday as just 3 hours Snow. Now back in Talke 2 miles away and suddenly it's showing 36 hours snow from 12pm Thursday till midnight Sat lol

If only haha. I might need a shovel dig my taxi out lol

Posted
15 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Showers pathetic so far. Presume they will increase in intensity? 

Showers were not expected this far west today,flurries all morning gave a sprinkling -0.2c currently.

• Like 1

Posted

Just got back home from Matlock 

more snow that way 

Having a flurry here at the mo

17 minutes ago, carled said:

MetOffice Amber warning for most of midlands from 04:00 to 11:00.   Look at detailed forecast for Leicester and we have no snow forecast until 10:00 and then on and off until late afternoon.  WTF MetOffice?  Get a grip lads.  Leicester snowshield warming up right now to deflect all white stuff ;-)

Overnight things have changed. The track of the low is much further north hence why the forecast has changed. Warnings may change in next flew hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
44 minutes ago, BleakMidwinter said:

The radar doesn't show actual type of precipitation - it shows what the computer thinks the type of precipitation is. 

I spent ages thinking it was totally accurate as a reflection of what was actually falling but it isn't - plenty of times it's claimed one thing and we've had something different. It has its uses, but like everything, not to be taken as gospel or relied upon 100%...

Intermittent snow furries all morning, mostly in bright sunshine, here in Telford

I did think was odd  that' s all we had flurries and sun

Edited by pegg24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Somehow models show any laying snow here tomorrow whilst areas further east keep it. No.idea how snow can melt with temperature and dew point below freezing.

Well its all melted here, only lightest dusting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and not to hot

snowing  very small hard pellet like flakes and its turned colder and windy now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Once we get a decent cover even a few CM's, it should stick around without any visible thawing.

Also breeze has picked up, wonder if that will help any heavier showers today :) 

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 1

Guest Delete Me

Short, Sharp bursts here in Stoke so far today.

GFS6z showing pretty much the entire country covered tomorrow :)

Edited by Delete Me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter

Really heavy shower over Leicester and is giving a covering.

Heaviest snow I've seen in my 20 years of life :yahoo:

Edited by Vmistry
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
8 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Once we get a decent cover even a few CM's, it should stick around without any visible thawing.

Also breeze has picked up, wonder if that will help any heavier showers today :) 

Yes, various forecasts now have Telford as having a couple of cms today, Tues, Wed, Thurs - so those will all stay around, imo. Then there's Friday... :D

It's like the afternoon before a big date when you're a teenager, isn't it? You've chosen your outfit, don your hair, nothing to do but wait... wait... wondering how it will work out... will this be it, will this be The One? :D 

Guest Delete Me
43 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Hahaha see what you mean about the met office app. 30 mins ago in Kidsgrove (Stoke on Trent), they had Friday as just 3 hours Snow. Now back in Talke 2 miles away and suddenly it's showing 36 hours snow from 12pm Thursday till midnight Sat lol

If only haha. I might need a shovel dig my taxi out lol

Andy from OVF? :p

Looking like tomorrow and wednesday PM and then a brief clear patch until Friday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

Finally heavy snow here in leicester!!roofs cars roads everything covered!been 15 mins now!!

Send it this way shaky we have steady but light bum fluff falling lol.

Posted

Yes finally a decent heavy shower. Only lasted 10 minutes though. Settled quickly on grass, walls etc.  Still just a dusting mind :)

Posted

well I was not gonna log on for this spell as it was all going so well

however toys have been loaded into the pram.....just watched the latest METO forecast and its terrible for the midlands tomorrow and also Friday now looking the same.

I would think soon that the Amber warning will be removed for East Midlands

Just a quick question, when the METO updates its detailed hourly forecast for each day how can one hour show heavy snow then the next update for the same hour shows light snow and sunshine....arrgggggggggghhhhhhhh

can anyone give me something to raise my hopes?????

Posted
9 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Very strange to see no changes to any of the Met Office warnings so far.

Agreed. EURO4, NMM, Arpege all have the heavy snow tomorrow going north of their amber warning area. Maybe they are waiting til this evening to be certain of it's track, or the Met Office think those models have the track wrong.

3 minutes ago, #windysnow# said:

well I was not gonna log on for this spell as it was all going so well

however toys have been loaded into the pram.....just watched the latest METO forecast and its terrible for the midlands tomorrow and also Friday now looking the same.

I would think soon that the Amber warning will be removed for East Midlands

Just a quick question, when the METO updates its detailed hourly forecast for each day how can one hour show heavy snow then the next update for the same hour shows light snow and sunshine....arrgggggggggghhhhhhhh

can anyone give me something to raise my hopes?????

Tip is to not pay much attention to those hourly automated forecasts to be honest. They have little in the way of professional forecaster input, so if the raw output has a shower hitting you it'll give you heavy snow icon. If it then thinks it's going to miss you by 5 miles on the next update, it'll show no snow. In reality it's next to impossible to accurately predict the track of showers.

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

gone darker just now and snow just kicking off here in Hinckley.  Looks a bit more organised.... 

Posted

That Met Office video forecast makes no sense for Tuesday. The track of the low is different to all computer models and goes against their own warnings and written forecasts.

The forecast didn't cover Friday.

Posted
3 minutes ago, kmanmx said:

Agreed. EURO4, NMM, Arpege all have the heavy snow tomorrow going north of their amber warning area. Maybe they are waiting til this evening to be certain of it's track, or the Met Office think those models have the track wrong.

Tip is to not pay much attention to those hourly automated forecasts to be honest. They have little in the way of professional forecaster input, so if the raw output has a shower hitting you it'll give you heavy snow icon. If it then thinks it's going to miss you by 5 miles on the next update, it'll show no snow. In reality it's next to impossible to accurately predict the track of showers.

Thanks for info.....im in north west leics I cant see anything now for us this week :(