Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
2 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Area of more organised snow shown moving south tomorrow night on BBC forecast.

Yeah. Tuesday morning is when the region should get it's first proper dumping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 minute ago, Uttoxeter snow said:

The midlands looks to be in a great location for the whole week. Snow opportunities every day and then a 2 day dumping Friday/Saturday.

I thought that GFS was full on for warmer this weekend....:nonono:

However we now have  another dumping moving up from the south on sunday.

The good news it wont be drifting any longer (at least at low levels)..

The bad news is  it will be wetter, as it turns to snow over the M4:nea::cc_confused:

I have to be careful as some of the southerners may be peeping!:D

Max temp for sunday  is still at 0C though, and it looks as if it is forecast to move back south again..

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

It's about time our region was well placed for snow.

:rofl:

Naughty, naughty...

Think of the others!

Yep you're right .....:nonono::D 

Posted

Our snow making precipitation is showing it's face now, marching across Denmark at a rate of knots.

Screenshot_2018-02-25-10-49-48.png

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, kev238 said:

I would think Nottingham should be quite well placed this week

I have lived here for 20 years and the previous easterly outbreaks have delivered here 

If  it all comes off OK .... you will be in a prime spot for a streamer.

MIA

Posted
2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Naughty, naughty...

Think of the others!

Yep you're right .....:nonono::D 

I do hope the south does well too, having grown up there and knowing how rotten winters are down there.

GFS then shows further snow next weekend.

Posted
4 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

Chris Fawkes tweeted significant disruption for East Midlands. However he said, further west less likely and if you do get snow in the West Midlands it will be lighter as the preciptitation moves away from the warm North Sea

Is that for tonight or the week as a whole?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Having only received a couple of cm's from the snow in December I am hoping that this week may give some proper snow over Belper, without me having to trek into the Peak District. One difference this time around is the snow is not marginal, if anything falls from the skies between now and at least Thursday it will be snow. Another difference is the winds coming from the east, which means the usual shelter from the Peak District won't come into play. My fingers are crossed.

Quietly excited about prospects for the end of the week too, but plenty of interest to get through before then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

we don't tend to get much out of this kind of set up in my neck of the woods but E Mids will do well I am sure.

Posted

Plans for next week:

Wednesday  -from TheDerby/Burton area then heading up the A50 towards Alton/Farely ( near Alton towers) for a "spring" walk in the Alton/Churnet valley area,  before heading back, Saturday Same again, but with a family focus - minibus/ coach transport plus pub lunch.

Posted

In 2013 Nottingham did brilliantly for snow in march - though northern parts of the city did lots better.

in 2010 there was a huge difference between parts of the city within a couple of miles of each other 

I suspect there will be large variations in the snow amounts again 

But I am sure this will be the real deal for the East Midlands- Thursday looks less snowy than the other days but Monday- Wednesday and hopefully Friday look great! 

Perhaps I am too optimistic but a proper easterly is the best direction for these parts ( and will prob be quite good further west as well!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
43 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Showers will large and strong enough to push from the North Sea to the Irish Sea coast. So don't know what he's on about.

He was on about a polar low going down the east coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

I think Tues/Wed is probably going to be pretty good for those in the northern and northeastern area of the east midlands. Areas like me in Leicester, Northampton, Coventry, Birmingham just too far south or too far west. Those areas would be in with a shot with a small southerly shift, but from my experience I can remember never doing particularly well from these easterly setups. Generally too far inland and a bit far south, not sure what causes the precipitation to so often go towards the north of the region but it seems to be the case. Personally I am not paying any attention to the forecasted heavy snow for friday, and I am bewildered so many people are... i've seen plenty of events predicted at even t+24hr fail to materialize in terms of snow, so watching a snow event 5 days away just seems wild to me! but each to their own. If it does happen, it will be great I guess.

That said, we should all see SOME snow at some point next week, even if it's just a single shower with 1 or 2cm. It's bitterly cold, so the snow should stick around for a while. Even with only a little snow it will be fun to enjoy the extreme cold and easterly winds, should be a memorable event to finish off the '17/'18 winter :)

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, kmanmx said:

I think Tues/Wed is probably going to be pretty good for those in the northern and northeastern area of the east midlands. Areas like me in Leicester, Northampton, Coventry, Birmingham just too far south or too far west. Those areas would be in with a shot with a small southerly shift, but from my experience I can remember never doing particularly well from these easterly setups. Generally too far inland and a bit far south, not sure what causes the precipitation to so often go towards the north of the region but it seems to be the case.

Its a tight one mate regarding tuesday!!leicester is literally a few miles away from the really heavy stuff!!think it will track further south though!!