Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
12 minutes ago, kmanmx said:

You gotta laugh at this event for us midlanders :D

image.png.d4ceed9e09276460c1d9c47c90bbc8

that's got to be waaaay out. the snow is coming from the east, it'll pile up towards the east, not the west :-D

One for the rubbish bin I think 

Posted

If your after snow, then take the above chart as what to expect, then if we get bugger all its not a disappointment.

Edited by Rich_T

Posted

The MetO not-a-forecast is, well, not a forecast (though better than all the other apps!  and is not pure model output, unlike most)  But it is a useful forecasting tool.   For Friday here in Evesham it has gone tonight from a 50% chance of light snow to an 80% chance of heavy snow,

Too far off to make any firm predictions, but the trend is good :) 

Posted
39 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

that's got to be waaaay out. the snow is coming from the east, it'll pile up towards the east, not the west :-D

One for the rubbish bin I think 

Even that isn't exactly snowless either, it's got to be at least a dusting, which isn't overly exciting I know but would still be preferable to nothing at all. Who knows though yet and something much more impressive isn't exactly off the table I'd imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

This upcoming Easterly has the potential to be a classic. Still a lot of uncertainty about where the heaviest snow will fall but i'd expect the whole of the Midlands to see something this coming week.

Edited by andy_leics22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Thought I’d add some pics of the sky when I was out this evening, very clear and well just nice I thought. Hopefully come Tuesday they will be full of cloud and loads of the white stuff about

85A8645C-8E46-40AB-B4DE-19C300F5A20D.jpeg

2EAFAA38-79B8-403A-8DED-EDF6805DD3E9.jpeg

48B3D2C9-8D75-4347-B1CA-08293D6C6F24.jpeg

ACA752AE-1916-47DF-BDDC-8D7A64F4AF9B.jpeg

BD4FA6B0-EC66-4242-B717-2671972C1F96.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat
14 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

This upcoming Easterly has the potential to be a classic. Still a lot of uncertainty about where the heaviest snow will fall but i'd expect the whole of the Midlands to see something this coming week.

I think we should get 5-6 cm by Friday, Tuesday and Wednesday there might be a dusting, nothing major. Keep the expectations low, if anything above will be a bonus with little disappointment :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

Incredible! -16C only 72 hrs away, first time ever in my model watching hobby :cold:

gfs-1-78.png?18

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I was on the M1 northbound today at 2pm, between junctions 16 and 21a, 5 gritters out with heavy grit (as opposed to normal light grid for conditìons)being layed.

Over the top for a bone dry motorway with no precipitation expected. 

If the powder comes, salt will exacerbate problems not solve it, creating an ice layer under subsequent snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
39 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I was on the M1 northbound today at 2pm, between junctions 16 and 21a, 5 gritters out with heavy grit (as opposed to normal light grid for conditìons)being layed.

Over the top for a bone dry motorway with no precipitation expected. 

If the powder comes, salt will exacerbate problems not solve it, creating an ice layer under subsequent snow.

In that case the highway agency haven't a clue what they're doing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
21 minutes ago, weirpig said:

IMG_1257.GIF

I reckon my old stomping ground of Leicester will do well in this! My current location of Rushden... Not so good.

Posted
3 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

I reckon my old stomping ground of Leicester will do well in this! My current location of Rushden... Not so good.

It's close. It has seemed to have moved slightly more south. Brum north seems decentish 

Posted

Models bury the Midlands at the end of the week from that low pushing up from the south. Although many will be buried already before then.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Models bury the Midlands at the end of the week from that low pushing up from the south. Although many will be buried already before then.

I got 13cms in coventry back in december 2017..can i expect something similar or a little less?

Posted
18 minutes ago, Cov87 said:

I got 13cms in coventry back in december 2017..can i expect something similar or a little less?

I'd be a bit disappointed if you didn't have more by the end of the week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi Guys..

Early this morning for me!!..

Temperature min at -2.3C, now at 2.0C  DP at -5.7C now,  was at 6.9C earlier. 

Stunning for the still mild uppers, and a noticeable easterly breeze. 

Right - the real reason I am up...

Told you about covering my fish ponds on Friday....

Well got up early for the loo, looked out and there was the Heron sat on the boards - fishing.:diablo::pardon::fool:

Think the fish are all hiding under the plants  and hibernating on the bottom - I have about 25 in total, and I am certain they are safe. But the cheek....mind you he must be very hungry as I have not seen him for about 10yeasrs.

The ponds are also netted.

Enough excitement for one day:D He said looking out the window!

See the charts have improved a bit for the weekend with a good prospect of a blizzard on friday again.

MIA

• Like 2

Posted

Good morning

am I correct looking at the charts for the week ahead my area , approx 85 miles inland from the wash ( North Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire border ) is in an excellent position for a snow event ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.
2 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Well got up early for the loo, looked out and there was the Heron sat on the boards - fishing.:diablo::pardon::fool:

Think the fish are all hiding under the plants  and hibernating on the bottom - I have about 25 in total, and I am certain they are safe. But the cheek....mind you he must be very hungry as I have not seen him for about 10yeasrs.

How do you know he's the same one? 8) Very cheeky though, regardless! :laugh:

Pretty darn cold here, with or without a Beast from the East! It was -1.4'C when I got up, currently -0.7'C. Usually less cold up here on the Malverns than if one was in Great Malvern itself, but that's not much consolation now! :cold: Regretting not finishing knitting that thick woolly jumper!

Fingers crossed for snow later in the week! 

Edited by Barbmac
  • Like 1