IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Only the 4 days? Pfft! Why even bother? :D

OH my....Happy days...

I cannot tell you how long I have been waiting for a spell such as this to occur again.

If it comes off as forecast ......(?), it will be something to rival any event in the last 100 years.

Something to tell the grandkids about long after I have gone..

I have been telling mine about 47 and 62/63,and they are very interested, I had the same happen to me in 47. That was incredible for me!! .

MIA 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
6 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

OH my....Happy days...

I cannot tell you how long I have been waiting for a spell such as this to occur again.

If it comes off as forecast ......(?), it will be something to rival any event in the last 100 years.

Something to tell the grandkids about long after I have gone..

I have been telling mine about 47 and 62/63,and they are very interested, I had the same happen to me in 47. That was incredible for me!! .

MIA 

Blimey!!! MIA..... I didn't know you were a fossil....:D

Did they have snow in the Permian–Triassic era :whistling:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Blimey!!! MIA..... I didn't know you were a fossil....:D

Don't get me going......:D

Oh all right then     

I'll have you know  I was 3 years old in 1947. I remember being 'trapped' in my village for  3 weeks (on the Notts/Linc border), with all the tractors and older lads helping to dig us out.   Not something you forget easily!

MIA

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Don't get me going......:D

Oh all right then     

I'll have you know  I was 3 years old in 1947. I remember being 'trapped' in my village for  3 weeks (on the Notts/Linc border), with all the tractors and older lads helping to dig us out.   Not something you forget easily!

MIA

Wow didn't realise they had tractors that far back.  If this event brings just a few inches I'd be happy 

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

need a southward movement I think, this GFS run the cold is over by Sunday

GFS too progressive. I remember 2010 and GFS trying to bring in milder weather. It never arrived. Looking very good for virtually all the Midlands this coming week.

Posted

Screenshot_20180224-141312.thumb.jpg.f72aa707f5927bb705833278611e15ca.jpg the BBC weather app for nottingham, Wednesday, light cloud, dry, breezy, plus a separate warning for heavy snow. so what will it be then?

Posted
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Wow didn't realise they had tractors that far back.  If this event brings just a few inches I'd be happy 

Yep....

There were only 3(I think) in the village at the time.I did wonder if I should feed it a carrot?:D

MIA

Edit -  If this comes off (as is quite possible), then you could be talking in terms of feet not inches, (Do you remember those?), With drifts up to the door jamb.  (Remember those:D) . 

If I was to   really ramp I would have said that you would have to lookdown on your house from the roof!

I have seen that - but not in the UK! 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
5 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Yep....

There were only 3(I think) in the village at the time.I did wonder if I should feed it a carrot?:D

MIA

Edit -  If this comes off (as is quite possible), then you could be talking in terms of feet not inches, (Do you remember those?), With drifts up to the door jamb.  (Remember those:D) . 

If I was to   really ramp I would have said that you would have to lookdown on your house from the roof!

I have seen that - but not in the UK? 

I was born in 76 so remember the winters of the 80s  anything like that would be special 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

I've been trying to contain myself but can't hold it in any longer!

WOOHOO!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I am starting to get just a little excited now! 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Yep....

MIA

Only JOK...Snowking there Mr MIA....At least you remember a great Cold & Snow event....The furthest I can think that far back had now't to do with Snow....Summer 76 :doh::wink:

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowsie said:

I've been trying to contain myself but can't hold it in any longer!

WOOHOO!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I am starting to get just a little excited now! 

Why? Is there cold weather on the way?

:drunk-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I remember the Great Drought of 1976 as I was born and lived in Essex til I was 10 - but when I moved aged 10 to Edinburgh in 1979, I found nobody up there knew what I was on about as there'd been no drought there...
In Essex, I had only seen snow once, a few mm briefly, but I moved up in time for a humdinger of a 79-80 winter with more snow than I could ever have wished for. "Great!" I thought. "So this is what Edinburgh winters are like!" Then I had to wait another 31 years for the next one like that bcause Edinburgh has its own very very weird little microclimate system... ;)

But the Big Snow, that was something to have lived through. Started snowing in late Nov 2010 and snowed every day til February. I was first up each morning and had to sweep and salt the paths every single morning, clear another inch or three inches or six inches off the birdbath so I could thaw it with a kettle of boiling water, then brush that out and refill with cold water. I stopped bothering to measure snow at 16 inches or so. 
It was incredible. 

I loved it, but a lot of people struggled and that was without deep-freeze temps. It was snowy but not bitterly bitterly cold, iirc. 

My Mum's hanging basket of dwarf chrysanthemums suffered too. Prettier at night :)

Sorry, it insists on showing you the cornice coming off the scullery roof twice...

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by BleakMidwinter
  • Like 1

Posted

I’m too young to remember any of the really great events. I was only little in 1991 and a baby in 1987. December 2010 and March 2013 are the best I’ve seen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

Is this a 'non-event' for the midlands,BBC quite a poor app, absolutely useless. Weather warnings of snow with only high cloud symbols for the week ahead. However, other apps are showing some snow during Tuesday. I am sure we'll get some covering, don't know how much, between 3-30cm? :rofl:

Posted
1 minute ago, sawan said:

Is this a 'non-event' for the midlands,BBC quite a poor app, absolutely useless. Weather warnings of snow with only high cloud symbols for the week ahead. However, other apps are showing some snow during Tuesday. I am sure we'll get some covering, don't know how much, between 3-30cm? :rofl:

Euro 4 showing parts of Midlands getting snow as early as Monday am  showers will pop up everywhere 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, sawan said:

Is this a 'non-event' for the midlands,BBC quite a poor app, absolutely useless. Weather warnings of snow with only high cloud symbols for the week ahead. However, other apps are showing some snow during Tuesday. I am sure we'll get some covering, don't know how much, between       330cm? :rofl:

That'll do :drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

Apps are poor because the models don’t pick up on shower activity very well.

So this bodes well for me.

4BC03370-F516-4BC0-9AF7-38399C675751.png

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
16 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I’m too young to remember any of the really great events. I was only little in 1991 and a baby in 1987. December 2010 and March 2013 are the best I’ve seen.

Matt...

That's why I hope that this really produces for you guys.

There really is nothing like a very severe spell.

However -  back to my more normal analytical approach.  Hm..HM...

MIA

• Like 3

Posted

The apps are not very good

BBC for Friday and the same for NW.....:closedeyes:.......NW.....Mmmmmm :D

image.thumb.png.0e1d9d2b57a01d3dea5e79fcc8437ff7.pngimage.thumb.png.4d53718c36ae795dbdf6de7a06838971.png

• Like 2

Posted

You would think that the likes of the BBC would put something sensible out, I know people who are using the BBC weather app for event planning, it's only a couple of so called early spring walks.

However my suggestion to make alternative plans/postpone is falling on deaf ears, as the BBC weather says all will be ok, and this extreme weather stuff is just hype

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I can’t quite get my head around why everyone is even using these weather apps, they are dog crap useless for anything other than a few hours out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I just use the MET OFFICE https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcqdt4b2x#?zoom=8&map=SignificantWeather&lon=-1.66&lat=52.51&fcTime=1519678800

Nothing is ever set in stone....But some people expect this... YAWN!!!

Edited by Dancerwithwings