Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
13 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

That North Westerly back in December was the coldest and snowiest I have seen in my lifetime. Used to hate north westerlies. They do nothing for London. 

You should have been around here in the 70s & 80s they really delivered then. We received over a foot in December 1981 and 6 inches was regular. It's been one of my disappointments that North Westerlies just aren't as cold as they used to be, often bringing sleet & rarely settling snow.

Posted
Just now, RobR said:

What depths do we have in Stoke. I'm in Amsterdam where we had snow Friday but it's been brutally cold in the wind but face temp was 5c. It doesn't feel like that for sure!

I think it depends where you are. I have just a covering in Bucknall, but Matt in Longton seems to have a cm or 2.

Posted

About 2 cm on my wheelie bins. Might be a bit more on fields and laws. Looks like more showers are moving this way from the Cheshire Gap. Got to be up at 6am to got to work but don't want to miss any falling snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

sno showers this evening left a nice covering on floors bins and cars though snow was forecasted to settle mainly on high ground it was good too. see a covering of snow at lower level too.  we in the West Midlands did quite well this winter for snow  let’s hope there’s more to come before the end of the winter.

• Like 1

Posted

00z gfs still looking good for tomorrow afternoon for snow!!infact looks like snow for the whole of the midlands come 1pm in the afternoon compared to yesterdays 18z!!moderate to heavy precipitation aswell!!

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, shaky said:

00z gfs still looking good for tomorrow afternoon for snow!!infact looks like snow for the whole of the midlands come 1pm in the afternoon compared to yesterdays 18z!!moderate to heavy precipitation aswell!!

It is. Pity though the other hi res models are poor. Band breaks up and bits that do make it is rain 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

It is. Pity though the other hi res models are poor. Band breaks up and bits that do make it is rain 

Yh beep and Met both say sleet early morning and afternoon turning to rain by evening. Gfs chart is the only hope but i think the other high res charts have been way better this winter so not expecting much tomorrow other than sleet here.

Posted

Game over for tomorrow by the looks of it. Both MET and BBC show a horrible day with cold rain or sleet. To add insult to injury I awoke to snowmageddon of a few frozen flakes on the bin! This week looks crap to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Snow looks great, but expect a full thaw, 12th Feb, too late now for no thaw, high sun also, where as 2 months ago, snow stayed all day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Just watched the BEEB with Matt.

Tomorrow they have the signs of a 'circulation' developing on the front to the SW, which crosses over us in pm.

They suggest that the sleet  will turn to snow before dieing out later.

We can but hope, after all it is the BBC! 

Todays figures.

Min -2.4C, currently -0.6C, dp -3.4, with a lovely pale blue sky, and a few aeroplane trails..

I'll do the reverse physcho trick. No sign of any showers today!! 

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Morning all,a beautiful day here with clear skies a hard frost and a surprise dusting of snow from overnight showers.All eyes are on tomorrow now.As usual it's very boarder line to if we will get any snow.But here's hoping.Have a great day folks.

image.jpeg

Posted

Gfs still suggests snow tomorrow for all of us!!front is held back slightly aswell!!could be wrong but thats the only bit of interest at the moment in an otherwise dire model output for the next couple of weeks!!yeh there is interest but seems to be stuck in what seeems like forever now!!

• Like 1

Posted

Really surprised how little snow there was west of my house, once through bloxwich then essington , down the m54 and through onto shawbury there was no sign of any snow !! And there was approx 2cm by me . 

Lets hope for tomorow for a bit more ??❄️❄️❄️

Posted

Just as i was about to Through the towel in for Tuesday.  The Arpege  gives us a snow fest.  those pesky models.  Lol Backed up by the ICON

arpege-1-27-0.png

arpege-1-28-0.png

arpege-1-29-0.png

arpege-1-30-0.png

arpege-1-31-0.png

arpege-1-32-0.png

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Just as i was about to Through the towel in for Tuesday.  The Arpege  gives us a snow fest.  those pesky models.

arpege-1-27-0.png

arpege-1-28-0.png

arpege-1-29-0.png

arpege-1-30-0.png

arpege-1-31-0.png

arpege-1-32-0.png

Yup and the arpege didnt have anything before which makes me think gfs has this one!!its been really consistent with tomorrows snowfall aswell!!midlands is defo a good place to be tomorrow!theres cold air ahead and behind the band!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, shaky said:

Yup and the arpege didnt have anything before which makes me think gfs has this one!!its been really consistent with tomorrows snowfall aswell!!midlands is defo a good place to be tomorrow!theres cold air ahead and behind the band!

Icon is also similar mate    a very good year this year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Warnings issued says no

Unless you live NI and Scotland.Manchester airport TAF indicating rain as well

C.S

Posted
13 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Warnings issued says no

Unless you live NI and Scotland.Manchester airport TAF indicating rain as well

C.S

They are still updating at the moment   Its a warning for rain further south.   something to keep an eye on anyway   We shall as the day progresses.

Edited by weirpig

Posted
11 minutes ago, shaky said:

Hmmm no warnings!!its all very confusing!!but i guess no warnings mean its gona snow then??

Euro 4  still having none of it.    Probably more of a sleety mix   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

I think the BBC are very unsure about the Midlands for tomorrow, as I have not heard them mention Midlands yet, all I have heard, is North England snow, and south sleet or rain, but no mention of us, correct me if I'm wrong or anyone has heard mention of the Midlands on BBC?? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

I think the BBC are very unsure about the Midlands for tomorrow, as I have not heard them mention Midlands yet, all I have heard, is North England snow, and south sleet or rain, but no mention of us, correct me if I'm wrong or anyone has heard mention of the Midlands on BBC?? 

I get that feeling aswell that they dont know whats gona happen!!man i hope it snows so much that they have egg on their faces!!theyve been puttin warnings out for nothing recently and when the model like gfs actually shows snow for us tomorrow they dont put one out (yet)!!gona be interesting!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Hopefully it will be snow, it can be a good thing that they don't say anything and yeah like others have said let see if they see anything as the days progresses :) 

Edited by Sparkiee storm